• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

AVE-GLR Future Additions

Started by BigSlark, September 14, 2007, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSlark

I know that the NAM Team and everyone else that has something to contribute to transit modding is busy making amazing things right now, but I have a suggestion or two for the GLR AVE pieces that were released in June, in the event anyone feels like adding to them:

1. Elevated crossing support, primarily so that elevated highways are able to cross the the new pieces. It would truly allow them to be "space saving" without having to terminate the puzzle piece avenue and then route the GLR into a subway or via a separate underpass. I'm honestly not sure how difficult this would be to do as RULs make my head spin.

2. Alternatively, a subway-GLR transition in the Avenue median. This would allow a GLR line to dive under a freeway interchange or a CBD that consists of one way roads without tearing down at least five tiles of buildings on one side of the street. I honestly do not if having automata appear in the transition is possible, which is one of my favorite parts of the GLR network.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Feedback?

Once again, I'm not demanding that this be done, just ideas for the future. I have been using this system extensively of late and I know that some things, like dual network bridges, are very difficult to do and pose many capacity issues.

Cheers,
Kevin

Filasimo

that sounds like a good idea BigSlarky some cities with GLR have that option...guess well see what jason and alex have to say about this  :)
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Tarkus

Kevin, glad to hear you're enjoying the GLR-in-Avenue pieces, and those are definitely some interesting ideas, many of which could be implemented in some way or another.

As far as getting an El-Highway (or an El-RHW, when that comes out ;)), it would be fairly simple to just make a puzzle piece for it.  It would more than likely have to be done that way, since the GLR-in-Avenue isn't draggable. 

With regards to some sort of subway transition, that could be done as well, though there are some inherent difficulties with that.  Going to subway from GLR (or ELR) requires a transit switch, since they are two different transit types.  That would mean there would be a TE-Lot involved, in the middle of puzzle pieces, so there's good potential for the infamous puzzle piece/TE-Lot crash.  Jason (jplumbley) had come up with an experimental idea involving running other transit types on the Subway network, so that could provide a solution if it works out.  I know there's some issues with puzzle pieces involving the Subway network.  GoaSkin experimented with it some time ago and said they caused the game to crash.  However, the implementation would likely just be with a Subway stub, and I'm not sure anyone has tried that.  But it is something definitely worth looking into, I think. 

And you've just given me a ton of ideas for how to extend the GLR-in-Avenue setup, beyond this.  :)  There may have to be an expansion set here soon (I know cogeo had some ideas as well) . . .  ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

jmdude1

thats a great idea about the glr going underground. very realistic and a great option which would give a bit more flexibility to this great transit system.

Kitsune

If anyone needs a model idea for the AVE-GLR to subway conversion just tell and I'll get ya pictures - we have just the set up a few blocks from where I live. (Theres also a ave-glr running in front of my building.......)
~ NAM Team Member

thundercrack83

Interesting ideas here, guys! The only thing I can think of is a 90° turn out of the avenue into regular GLR.

figui

it would be very nice to have an addon for glr in ave with this great ideas..
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

rickmastfan67

Quote from: BigSlark on September 14, 2007, 03:56:20 PM
2. Alternatively, a subway-GLR transition in the Avenue median. This would allow a GLR line to dive under a freeway interchange or a CBD that consists of one way roads without tearing down at least five tiles of buildings on one side of the street. I honestly do not if having automata appear in the transition is possible, which is one of my favorite parts of the GLR network.

I'd be for that.  I've seen it in action several times up in Toronto, Ontario.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Starmanw402007

I agree that is a great idea. Looking forward to seeing updates once they get started.

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

z

I would like to suggest puzzle pieces for intersections between the avenue GLR and all the other networks.  These would be of enormous help, as currently I have to go through all sorts of contortions to make such intersections work.  For example, GLR avenue crossing level rail, underneath rail viaduct, over underground rail, under elevated rail, under elevated highway, over ground highway, under monorail, etc.  And if anyone's feeling particularly inspired, adding various highway/avenue interchanges that included GLR would be really fantastic.

JoeST

These aren't possible (I dont think) because the game only allows intersections between 2 different network types, which makes ave-GLR a continual intersection between 2 networks. The game explicitly wont allow interchanges between more than 2 networks... sorry

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Chrisim

No tile can have more than two networks, therefore we have to use innovative approaches like the elevated highway above tram-avenue roundabout in the April 2008 NAM. We may create viaduct rail (or monorail) above tram-avenue roundabout ...

z

I was afraid this might be the case - it seemed the most reasonable explanation why none of these puzzle pieces currently existed, in contrast to the other networks.  For now, I have found using a matching pair of the last puzzle piece (the one that widens the avenue/GLR into three tiles) to be the best workaround, so I'm not sure that adding more variations on the tram-avenue roundabout would be worth the trouble.

The one new puzzle piece that should still be possible would be underground railroad below plain GLR (orthogonal).  How about that one?

aaaling

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 14, 2007, 08:16:58 PM
I'd be for that.  I've seen it in action several times up in Toronto, Ontario.

You are right!

thundercrack83

aaaling: This thread has not been posted in since May 18, 2008. The post you quoted is from September 2007. Please do not revive old threads unless you have something substantive to contribute to it.

Chrisim

Since this old thread has been revived, I would like to add that we found a way to overcome the restriction of two networks on a puzzle pieces. Since the NAM of Januar 2009, there are puzzle pieces for elevated highway (and viaduct rail) across tram-avenue and tram-road.

cogeo

A little off-topic, but I find the GLR-in-Avenue and GLR-in-Road networks somehow complementary. Could someone please add some streetlight props to the GLR-in-Road puzzle pieces (just like in GLR-in-Avenue)? This would be nice, I think.