• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Real Highway Neighbor Connectors

Started by Caller9, July 14, 2010, 03:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caller9

Hello everyone,
I know it is me and if there is a tutorial on this I would love to see it. I haven't found any that seems to help my understanding. This has to do with RH4 and the connector pieces. The puzzle piece says that the connector is needed for RH4 although when you drag to the edge it asks if you want to make the connection and appears to. I'm not sure it functions correctly though. What are the blue/green <N> connector arrows used for?  If you plop them on the highway that section of highway disappears. Is it to be left that way? There are the individual puzzle piece connector arrows that seem to be the thing to use. I don't know if the arrows on those puzzle pieces, the ones that say "In" and "Out" are supposed to point in the direction of traffic. I would normally think yes but the "In" never aligns the yellow and white line correctly if the arrows are actually pointing toward the city from the edge which I assume to be "In" as in incoming traffic. The "Out" arrows will line up correctly but it says "Out" leading me to believe that it should be facing toward the edge of the map but it is the only piece that the arrows face the direction of traffic flow and the yellow/white lines are correct on both the side by side highways. So.. as I am trying to use the connector pieces, only the one labeled "Out" will allow the arrows on the puzzle piece to face both off the edge of the map and toward the center of the map with the correct yellow/white orientation. I can't see any use for the "In" as the arrows only face "Out" when it matches the yellow/white lines. Any help will REALLY be appreciated!  Thank you

Tarkus

Quote from: Caller9 on July 14, 2010, 03:57:55 PM
What are the blue/green <N> connector arrows used for?  If you plop them on the highway that section of highway disappears. Is it to be left that way?

The blue/green <N> connector arrows are meant to go between the two sides of your RHW if you have a median of one or more tiles.  Basically, these create an invisible loop connection.  Placing them over top of the actual RHW will not create a neighbor connection and will completely block traffic (including the freight that usually gets through by default).

There are the individual puzzle piece connector arrows that seem to be the thing to use. I don't know if the arrows on those puzzle pieces, the ones that say "In" and "Out" are supposed to point in the direction of traffic. I would normally think yes but the "In" never aligns the yellow and white line correctly if the arrows are actually pointing toward the city from the edge which I assume to be "In" as in incoming traffic. The "Out" arrows will line up correctly but it says "Out" leading me to believe that it should be facing toward the edge of the map but it is the only piece that the arrows face the direction of traffic flow and the yellow/white lines are correct on both the side by side highways.

Ignore the arrows and the "In/Out" designations entirely.  They were a holdover from an earlier Alpha Build during which the pieces functioned a little differently; they were simplified greatly for the actual public release.  Just line up the white and yellow lines when placing the network pieces and they should function properly.  The In/Out designations and the arrows will be removed entirely for the next release, so it should be a bit clearer.

I've been meaning to write up a proper tutorial, but time has been a limiting factor, unfortunately.  It's on my list still, however.

-Alex