• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A transportation idea

Started by TEG24601, May 28, 2008, 10:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

Now I'm not entirely sure where to place this topic, but I thought that it might fit best here... (Mod, please move if it doesn't fit)

In my cities, I like to use ferries to connect great distances over water, as I grew up in the Seattle area, and most of the time, to get across Puget Sound, you use a ferry.  I also like using them, so I don't have to build tiny islands on the edge of my cities to allow for bridges to connect to the neighbors.

With that being said, I find the Ferry Network to be horrible in its execution.  The docks are small, don't have built in tolling, are weird to connect to the land networks, and the ferries are tiny and only realistic for river crossings, not lake or sea crossings.

So it comes down to this... Are there any realistic ferry docks available anywhere?  Also, are there any realistic Ferries or Skins for Ferries?  If not on the latter, perhaps someone would be willing to create realistic ferries, based primarily on the Washington State Ferries, including skins and capacity changes?

Any help would be appreciated.

TEG

jplumbley

Requests should be placed in NAM Place... This board is dedicated to NAM Developement.

I think it is difficult to to understand what you are asking for different.

I know that there are various Water Front Kits out there for seawalls, some of which have a Ferry Terminal designed for them.  Im not going to link them all because there is a large number of them, common names to look for are Riptide, Colyn and Pegasus (not on LEX).  I also cant rememer offhand which ones have terminals for their sets.

As for different Ferry Automata... I dont know of any offhand that would be of use to you.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

TEG24601

Thanks for putting it in the right place, and pointing me toward some docks.

I'm really looking for someone with the time and skills to create ferries like this:

It is an Issaquah 130 Class Ferry (M/V Kittitas) of the Washington State Ferries.  It carries 130 cars and 1200 passengers.  To me, the ferries in SC4 look very odd, and I think that an update to this style is long overdue.

TEG

jplumbley

Quote from: TEG24601 on May 29, 2008, 09:06:22 AM

It is an Issaquah 130 Class Ferry (M/V Kittitas) of the Washington State Ferries.  It carries 130 cars and 1200 passengers.  To me, the ferries in SC4 look very odd, and I think that an update to this style is long overdue.

TEG

This is a Automata modelling request.. One of the best people for Automata is Swamper77, though lately I dont think he has been available to create anything.

About the capacity, the Ferry system has no "congestion" nor "capacity"...  It just simply is a "ferry" from one side of a river to another or to the city border.  We cannot make the Ferry system work more realistic, because much of it is hardcoded and we do not have the right to edit it.  Basically, a Ferry is a river crossing without a bridge and thats all it can be.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

deathtopumpkins

If you want good ferry docks, I suggest Pegasus. There are at least a dozen on the PLEX at SimPeg.
I just hate the fact that my ferry systems never work out right, as if I put one crossing the river here, and then another crossing the river a few miles down, they'll use the ferry to commute downriver.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

TEG24601

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 29, 2008, 12:15:15 PM
If you want good ferry docks, I suggest Pegasus. There are at least a dozen on the PLEX at SimPeg.
I just hate the fact that my ferry systems never work out right, as if I put one crossing the river here, and then another crossing the river a few miles down, they'll use the ferry to commute downriver.

I know, I hate that.  Most real ferry systems traditionally connect between two dock or have two primary locations and some minor stops along the way.  I certainly hope that in the future of the SimCity Empire, ferry systems can be implemented in a more traditional manner.  In some of my cities, I end up having to use bridges to prevent a ferry from going from one side of the region to another.

Right now, I'd just settle for realistic looking ferries.

TEG

smoncrie

deathtopumpkins, I have not tested the idea, but couldn't you use an invisible water lot to block the ferries from going up and down river?

Shadow Assassin

...or deliberately build bridges below the minimum height that allows ferries to cross.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Meastro444

that would spoil the bridges use ;)

however, isnt it possible to make invissible bridges?
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

TEG24601

Well.... I'm from the Seattle area, hence my love for ferries, and there are some bridges that replaced ferry routes.  Also, I have one city, where there is a bridge for the monorail but not for vehicle traffic, and it impedes the ferry traffic quite nicely.

TEG

Shadow Assassin

however, isnt it possible to make invissible bridges?

Yes it is, but IMO, it's just a waste of IIDs that could otherwise be used for other things... even though only one piece might be needed... but what happens to the road stub peeking out at both ends?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Meastro444

well, if only one IID is needed, i dont think it isnt usefulll

however, the roadstubs would be ugly, but then it can be covered up with overhanging lots, so it shouldnt be a horrible problem.
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

Crissa

Has this gone anywhere?

I've had trouble making all my ferry locations work, anyhow :P  I find the ferry terminals too big, as most of the island terminals in the US are barely a dock as big as a road, and only the main ones - like Seattle or San Francisco - are large enough to service multiple boats.

Also, most of Peg's newest lots are only for looks.

-Crissa