• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Olasz' workshop

Started by Olasz, August 29, 2007, 10:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which bus series you'd prefer to see in game?

Ikarus 1950-1970s
Ikarus EAG
NABI

Olasz

I thought I share my experiments with you. I have multiple projects running that I planning to post here sooner or later.

Olasz

I was fed up with most of trucks in game, so decided to make my own based on some images available on internet.
With regards to free time available, I am planning to derive a complete set of trucks from the model above. A surprise is near introduction here as well :)

Pat

Now that looks like a truck and i cant wait to see more Olasz and great work here

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mikeseith

Nice truck there
:thumbsup:

Can't wait to see more

BigSlark

Your truck looks great and I'm happy to see you started a thread here at SC4D.

Cheers,
Kevin

Olasz

The reason why a heavy prime mover is needed

zero7

That truck will look great once the trailers are fully textured.  How well does it cope with bends and corners?
Call me Richard

Olasz

they do not look well in turns above 45 degrees.

I have not found any property that I could edit to change the kingpin position - it's aound z=-2 on the tractor and 0 on the trailer if I recall correctly

FromTheAshes

So, you know how to bring own models as automata in game. Can you shortly explain this or write a tutorial?
Visit Vorsfelde.

Olasz

Well, I'm not sure which part would be the most interesting, so just let me know from the below
I am creating the raw points and poligons manually in Excel then editing and texturing in the reader. I have just recently figured out how I can create alpha blended images from GIMP color and alpha in Fishman.
The automata type is denoted by the exemplar associated with the model. Trailers and trailer orders are scripted in the LUA file.
Multiple exemplars can use the same model and exemplars can load additional models as well

I would not have figured all the exemplar and LUA out without reversing Swamper's Vandy automata file. So thanks for him for that

Swamper77

Quote from: Olasz on September 01, 2007, 06:27:30 AM
I would not have figured all the exemplar and LUA out without reversing Swamper's Vandy automata file. So thanks for him for that

I don't mind you doing so, as long as you use a range of Occupant Group ID's that are different than mine. I use the range of "A38" for my creations.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

zero7

Am I right in thinking that you have three models here:  the tractor, the first trailer without the front set of wheels and the second trailer with three sets of wheels?

And in the LUA, have you defined a tractor and the first trailer as a vehicle and then used that as a vehicle with another trailer added?  So it's ((tractor+trailer)+trailer) rather than tractor+(2 x trailer)?
Call me Richard

Olasz

@Jan:
I use the range offered by SC4Tool. Reading your post I feel I not credited but offended you  ()what()

@zero7:
I have 4 models:
- trackor
- short B trailer
- long B trailer
- C dolly

The LUA defines it like this: (((((tractor+short)+long)+c-dolly)+short)+long). This makes a BB Quad. But an AB-Quad, BA-Quad, B-double or B-triple can be created as well

FromTheAshes

Quote from: Olasz on September 01, 2007, 06:27:30 AM
Well, I'm not sure which part would be the most interesting, so just let me know from the below
I am creating the raw points and poligons manually in Excel then editing and texturing in the reader. I have just recently figured out how I can create alpha blended images from GIMP color and alpha in Fishman.
The automata type is denoted by the exemplar associated with the model. Trailers and trailer orders are scripted in the LUA file.
Multiple exemplars can use the same model and exemplars can load additional models as well

Isn't it possible to include a 3d model instead of texturing it in the reader? Sounds extremely complicated, especially when I try to insert a carriage.
Visit Vorsfelde.

zero7

Quote from: Olasz on September 02, 2007, 03:33:42 AM
@zero7:
I have 4 models:
- trackor
- short B trailer
- long B trailer
- C dolly

The LUA defines it like this: (((((tractor+short)+long)+c-dolly)+short)+long). This makes a BB Quad. But an AB-Quad, BA-Quad, B-double or B-triple can be created as well

Yes, that makes sense to me.  I have been looking at all the lua scripts including vehicle.lua and thought that was possible.  I only have theory at the moment, as I haven't had time to carry out experiments to check my ideas.  

From your knowledge, can this also be applied to trains - as a ((tractor+short) + n x long) type shape would be a major thing for the rail buffs as it would allow steam locos with tenders.

Call me Richard

Olasz

Quote from: FromTheAshes on September 02, 2007, 03:42:46 AM
Isn't it possible to include a 3d model instead of texturing it in the reader? Sounds extremely complicated, especially when I try to insert a carriage.

I think it would be possible if one had 3dsmax. Reader has export/import 3ds functions. Gmax has only import  ()sad() and I could not find any module able to save in 3ds or convert gmax to 3ds

Olasz

Quote from: zero7 on September 02, 2007, 03:46:39 AM
Yes, that makes sense to me.  I have been looking at all the lua scripts including vehicle.lua and thought that was possible.  I only have theory at the moment, as I haven't had time to carry out experiments to check my ideas.  

From your knowledge, can this also be applied to trains - as a ((tractor+short) + n x long) type shape would be a major thing for the rail buffs as it would allow steam locos with tenders.

I am not 100% sure if this can be applied to trains as well, however it would be interesting to try. If it works, it might let you construct trains with one type of car as well (eg. a tank cars train)

zero7

Quote from: Olasz on September 02, 2007, 04:15:04 AM
If it works, it might let you construct trains with one type of car as well (eg. a tank cars train)

Looking at the way the freight trains are defined in the LUA I think that is likely. I need to get my current BAT projects out of the way so that I can experiment.

Too many ideas; not enough hours in the day  $%Grinno$%
Call me Richard

Olasz

Same here  ;D Sounds promising. BTW, are referring to vehicl &mmme.lua for the freight trains as well? It's been a long time I found it in the sc dat files and I just quickly forgot what was included there

FromTheAshes

Quote from: Olasz on September 02, 2007, 04:12:14 AM
I think it would be possible if one had 3dsmax. Reader has export/import 3ds functions. Gmax has only import  ()sad() and I could not find any module able to save in 3ds or convert gmax to 3ds
Thats right, it's not possible to convert .gmax into .3ds. Fortunately I DO have the 3ds Max ;)
Visit Vorsfelde.