• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compdude787

Boy, it's sure come a long way. Even though I wish I found out about SC4 mods sooner, at least I got back into this game when the RHW had become as versatile as it is now. I couldn't even imagine how I'd build some of my region's interchanges with RHW 5.0 or earlier, where you could only have two levels of RHW, elevated and ground-level.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

noahclem

Happy birthday RHW  :bnn:  &dance

Thanks to the hard work and perseverance of all those who've contributed to it over the years there's never been a better time to build a highway and things continue to improve all the time  &apls &apls &apls

vinlabsc3k

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

c.p.

Happy Birthday :bnn:
As Noah said, thanks for you perseverence (9 years, wow!) on this huge project &apls

Jack_wilds

BIG Happy B-day to RHW  :bnn: :bnn: :bnn:

To Tarkus and the entire NAM-Team for their long suffering and perseverance in continued development of this project... it sure has been well worth it...  :thumbsup:  no amount of applause can adequately demonstrate Sim gratitude...

anticipating great things to come for the decade mark  :popcorn:

thebagleboy

:bnn: :bnn: :bnn: A big Happy Birthday to the RHW  :bnn: :bnn: :bnn:

To the entire NAM-Team, thank you for all the hard work. I certainly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

dyoungyn

O'tanjiyobi desu RHW (Happy B-day RHW).  Thanks to all your hard work and creativity, I am re-doing (Updating) all my maps with RHW.

Gugu3

Moonraker0

Hello.  I'm currently having an issue with the RHW.  I have a very important bridge connecting two cities.  The bridge is actually two bridges made with DDRHW-4.  The thing is, it's not getting any traffic across it whatsoever.  I don't remember it ever having traffic, though virtually everyone in the smaller city is now suddenly unemployed, so maybe it did have traffic at some point.  I've already checked that the paths are all there with DrawPaths, and there aren't any problems that I can see.  Couldn't someone help me out with this?  Here is an image of the bridge showing the paths.  If you can't tell, the highway converts into AVE-4 after the bridge ends, right before it connects to the neighboring (main) city.

Durfsurn

One thing that I can think of is for traffic to use a road it needs to be able to commute to and from a destination. So make sure that the sims and get on the freeway and then back off at night.

-Billy

itsacoaster

I have something to report:

The Type A1 Inside FlexRamp only works as a left-entrance for RHW-8S and 10S, but not a left-exit.  Neither the paths nor textures are right.

Is that a known behavior, or is it bugged?

compdude787

Quote from: itsacoaster on November 23, 2014, 05:03:28 PM
I have something to report:

The Type A1 Inside FlexRamp only works as a left-entrance for RHW-8S and 10S, but not a left-exit.  Neither the paths nor textures are right.

Is that a known behavior, or is it bugged?

It's a bug, and I reported it a page or two back. Hopefully it's added to the list of necessary bugfixes... :)
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Tarkus

Was an issue until about 10 minutes ago. 

It appears it affected the 6S as well (and since the ramp is now MIS-based rather than RHW-4-based in the current files I have, the 4 was affected, too).  The INRUL code for the base mirrored version (which would be the exit) was referencing the IIDs for the non-mirrored/entrance version, which caused the RUL2 overrides to not recognize it.

As the DRIs/FLEXRamps are a major area of development for NAM 33, that part of the mod will be getting a lot of testing going forward, especially as we're trying to get them functioning well enough that we can pull the plug on many of the puzzle pieces.

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Tarkus on November 23, 2014, 10:57:47 PM
Was an issue until about 10 minutes ago. 

Correction: was an issue about a month or so ago. My über-massive EDRI code rewrite practically squashed all of the bugs that were already there, so...

Uhh, this may have also redefined what should be in the 0-7 and 8-F ranges, because as it stands, I have it by direction of chevrons, so instead of 0-7 for Offramp ans 8-F as Onramps, it's 0-7 for Outside Offramps and Inside Onramps and 8-F for Outside Onramps and Inside Offramps, so^2...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

itsacoaster

That is great to hear.  I didn't test the 6S or the 4S because, well, that's not what I was building at the time.  :D

Always happy to keep tabs on you guys' work.

eggman121

What do you get when you parallel a normal bridge with the Diagonal Bridge Enabler?

This as I discovered today...  ;D

Yep a fully functional RHW 6C Bridge.

By using a hybrid method I was able to use just the median of the RHW 6C and use normal bridges to be the sides.

What do others think?

-eggman121

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: eggman121 on November 26, 2014, 12:23:12 AM
What do others think?

Oh, what?!! A hybrid method of making wider-than-two-tile bridges?!! That throws everything out the window again!! That might be just a bit more stable and workable than an all-DBE method. :thumbsup:

Oh, what about something like a cable-stayed bridge, or even a suspension bridge? Would that require the middle section to be a true bridge instead of the outer parts, or a special piece to be placed in the draggable middle part that has a bridge tower attached using a T21, or is modelled to be an entire bridge tower, or a combination of both? (Thinking faar ahead again, here, me...)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jdenm8

As long as the two outer sides are the same length (And the length of the bridge is an even number of tiles unless you use T21s, though that would force a repeat of 10 tiles and can't be terminated for the bridgeheads unless you RUL it, but then we're back at square one), the pylons could just overhang. The centre doesn't need to be anything special at all, it could be plain RHW-C Centre.

You wouldn't even need a special slope mod for this, just something to remove the water. The properties of bridges in the game (Basically, roads consider the terrain to go up to meet the height of the bridgeheads) will force the correct height for the centre anyway.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

dyoungyn

GREAT JOB on the RHW6C bridge, this something I have needed and wished for since AVE7 came out.  I always hated to use the Transition piece from 6C - 6S.  The only other thing that would really top this is smoother and cleaner curves for AVE 7/6.  The work around has been FAH6C curves. This game is truly getting better and better with every leaps and bounds.  Great work and keep up all great advances the entire NAM team is creating.

Moonraker0

Quote from: Durfsurn on November 22, 2014, 04:33:14 PM
One thing that I can think of is for traffic to use a road it needs to be able to commute to and from a destination. So make sure that the sims and get on the freeway and then back off at night.

-Billy

I can confirm that there are multiple onramps/offramps for traffic in the city to the left side of the image to use; they're not right near the bridge, but further away along a cross-highway.

All I can think of is some strange unforeseen problem with the RHW-4 converting to AVE-4 right at the edge of the city; I don't think I've got room to move the transition further away, though.  Maybe if I messed around and rebuilt the height transitions...

EDIT:  This was actually wrong.  It's RHW-4 all the way to the neighbor connection (with the appropriate T neighbor connector pieces, of course).

Also, I think one of the two bridge segments is still an old "legacy" rail-based DDRHW-4 bridge.  I'll try replacing it with an RHW-based bridge and see if that changes anything.

EDIT:  Okay, converted the whole route to RHW-based DDRHW-4, still no traffic.

I once had an issue with this kind of thing with High-Speed Rail before; someone told me that if there was a long enough stretch of HSR which traversed an entire undeveloped city tile on the way between two developed tiles, it would have no traffic unless a station was present, even if there would be no need for a station in the wilderness.  I hypothesized that perhaps the same concept could apply to road-type networks, and that it might have no traffic if there was a long enough stretch of RHW without any intermediate job sources or transit switches.  Guess that was probably wrong though, as I tested it by adding some small commercial strip mall buildings, landmarks which provide just a few jobs, along the RHW at the very end of the second bridge and on the island between the two bridges/sections, thinking this would have a similar "jumpstart" effect on traffic and get it working properly.  Of course, nothing happened as far as commuting between the two cities, although I did discover that just a few cars were now using the second RHW bridge to access these buildings' jobs, but nothing more than that.  I guess that at least shows that the second bridge is technically able to carry traffic.