• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

ÆRDEN ~ new streets!

Started by vortext, May 31, 2013, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

One of the best region view I have ever seen. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Nanami

Agree with comment above me, its a great work!

noahclem

Amazingly organic appearance to the region  &apls  Very nice to see activity here--think I've got that warning pretty recently too  :D

vortext

Hello everyone, wanted to thank you all for the nice comments past year. I've been thinking about the future of Ærden lately - which sounds more dramatic than intended - and come to realise in order to keep to show rolling, so to speak, I've got to prioritise the attention given to various sc4-related activities. As part of that effort, a downsizing of this MD will be put into effect in order to achieve shorter, yet more frequent updates *fingers crossed* Now the critical reader may interpret this as another way of saying I'm skimping nearly a year of replies . .  $%Grinno$% . .  ::) . . I truly do appreciate the kind and supportive words!  &apls

So last update showing the overviews got me thinking what would excite me for the next growth impulse to the region. And the answer, as always, is more lots!

At first the plan was to relot an old R$ set. Rummaging through backups I stumbled upon the likewise old Dirty Farms, which as the name implies are stage 1 ID lots masquerading as farms. While remodelling, however, I recalled applying the Rural Patch, which should count IR jobs as proper industrial for the regional capacity. In other words, given the extensive farms the need for additional industrial capacity isn't as pressing. Moreover, it should already be possible to grow >3 stage IR lots . . 

. . and lo and behold, proof of concept stage 5 farm!

Thusfar Traelonisk is the only city actually capable of stage 5, so I figured a set of stage 4 farms would make more sense, for regional use. And what do you know, right on cue Fantozzi released his excellent Colossus Farming! The landhouses & various crops were just what was needed to initiate lotting in earnest, and before long I'd had quite a set on my hands. Here's a selection of BAT sets lined up, and which will be used in various capacities.

Everything blends together quite well I reckon.

In addition to an RCI lot set, the need for fitting utilities & civics will also be addressed. And that's it for today, thanks for reading.

In case you hadn't done so yet, go check out Fantozzi's props, lot of rural goodness in there!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kbieniu7

A winter update without snow... ah, this global warming...  $%Grinno$% Jokes beside, it's a horrible wheater in Poland now, it's raining all the time with cold wind.... brr.... :(

Anyway, back to the update... oh yeah, I understand that feeling when you realize that playing the game to be showable sometimes doesn't turn well enough. Nice that you think of your readers (or at least I understand this way :D ), but don't forget that it should also give fun for you.

Maybe even a tour around already exiting stuff would be nice idea? with some weather effects shouldn't be that hard to prepare, huh? ;)

And by the way - Merry Christmas!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

vortext

Quote from: kbieniu7 on December 24, 2017, 05:16:53 AM
Maybe even a tour around already exiting stuff would be nice idea? with some weather effects shouldn't be that gard to prepare, huh? ;)

Are you a mind reader? Or do you have a backdoor into my pc?!   ???  Either way, stop spoiling things!  :D $%#Ninj2
time flies like a bird

kbieniu7

Just the magic of Christmas, hehe! :D

art128

Looking forward to see those new models in use in your region. :)

Merry Christmas!

Props & Texture Catalog

Akallan

Beautiful BAT! &apls Merry Christmas!
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

vortext

hey everyone, for today a small trip around the region during winter time!

Unfortunately the map doesn't match the winter wonderland but here's the four places we'll be looking at going from North down to South.

So to start Gaellithorp located at the top right of the region, and the second tile I developed. The first tile of the region actually is bottom left of the region.  :D 

At the time I went all out with this particular development concept, i.e. the palisades, and to make everything fit within took quite some effort and deserves a closer look in the future. As we leave the forest we find Haefwold on our way, which is the northern most 'Roman Legacy' tile in the region.

We'll be just passing through for now though and going down further still we pass the remains of Aebora monastery.

The ruins are a silent reminder of a violent past, as the monastery was plundered and burned down by Vaendels, my fictional take on the Vandals which the Roman Empire had an adversarial attitude towards. 

Finally we arrive at Leanderas which used to be a thriving Roman port of which the fortress bears witness, though it has fallen in disrepair since.

As you may have gathered by now the history of Aerden includes being part of the the Western Roman Empire. As such there're 3 'Roman Legacy' tiles in the region which deserve a closer look in the future as well. That's it for today though, hope you enjoyed it!

Thanks kbieniu7, art128 & Akallan for your comments!
time flies like a bird

kbieniu7

What a... vastness... That's an incredible region! I propably repeat it the hudreth time, but I'm always amazed by your works. Used to highly developed cities and infrastructure, that calm and wilderness is magical  &apls

Also, nice work with palisades. And the organic layout of trails and paths.

manga rivotra

These overviews are sublime and the view of region is totally breathtaking.  :o I can not wait to see more!  &apls &apls &apls

vortext

Hello, long time no see, to put it mildly . .  ::)

As per usual development in the region has managed to slow down even more, but it's hasn't stopped entirely! In fact while perusing a few md entries I was quite amazed at the progress Traelonisk has seen, comparing the current state to last time I showed it here. However for today I wanted to show a small, but significant change I made yesterday with the introduction of new street textures for the region!

I made this set more than a year ago but never showed here, or put it to use to begin with. And for reasons I can't recall the set was created as a sam2 override at the time. More interesting is that it has 4 distinct zoning textures, i.e. a textuture for no zone, low density, medium density and agriculture zone. 

Now seeing I've never been quite satisfied with the current street override I'm using (which was meant as a temporary placeholder anyway!) I re-iid the sam2 set to vanilla iids yesterday. Here're some before-and-after shots;

Spot the missing piece  ;)

From afar;

It's a little rough around the edges still; couple of missing tiles, diagonal alligment issues and wrong orientation for few of the LE textures.

That being said I'm quite pleased with the looks of it, though not quite looking forward to updating all the tiles for a cohesive region view. Then again it's a good reason to visit all the tiles and develop them some more. So check back in 2030 to see if I ever got around to doing that.  :D

Joking aside various tiles have received quite a bit of attention as I've been playing around with different waterway and ditch sets, and growing proper stage 4 farms while at it!

time flies like a bird

siemanthepieman

Too cool - I wish I had the skills and dedication you have to build the perfect region. Regardless of how long it takes. 2030 is fast approaching anyway!

kbieniu7

Yeah, some more shots of Aerden!  ;D Maybe I should also put some dust out from my thread ;)

I would never be so patient to play with modding, but that some really good work done by you! It really fits that ancient ambient and the new ones are less saturated and blends better with the landscape. And masks the grid quite well, too :)

Would like to see some proper game development and new villages as well, frankly speaking ;)

Regards!

vortext

He, figured the quickest way to show development in Traelonisk was to whip up a small gif, so I did just that (and while doing came to realize the street bridges needs re-texturing too.. ).  It's rather hefty size wise (~30 mb) so may take a few loops before choppy playback has resolved. Enjoy!

time flies like a bird

art128

Very nice development, the new street textures are great. Eager to see more soon. (;D)

Props & Texture Catalog