• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WIP - Arinsia

Started by feyss, June 17, 2012, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Beautiful indeed, looking forward to the next updates!  &apls  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Akallan

Wow Super! The realization of your cities always amazes me, they are so beautiful, and you think of the details. As a result, the city seems alive, full of color, and always realistic! You fully master the urban environment and the rural, your job MMP is very beautiful too.

I have only one complaint to make to you that is only a detail:
The river is too smooth and square, try to create it with the MMP tools. It takes longer, but the result is often worth it!

Congratulations in any case! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

Simmer2

Everything is so harmonious, also great MMP work all around!

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

brick_mortimer

Glad to see a "full" update  :)

I really like your style and your cities are a true source of inspiration!
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Sciurus

Really beautiful pics. That makes me think about Charleroi or Liège... am I wrong ? $%Grinno$%
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

kbieniu7

Very nice pics! So, hove many churches per square kilometre here, in Arquennes? ;)

By the way, I like how you mix French and Dutch names, I'm really trying my best to imagine Belgium (that I have only visited on a petrol stations by a highway, I don't even know where, when I was travelling in the middle of the night, in a night bus from Kraków to London :D)!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

feyss

Wow, it's been a while that I didn't receive that much comments  :D, thanks!

I've got some WIP pictures.

First, the park aroung the episcopal palace. I just discovered that I could plop myself the trees I want, which is of course better than what you can find in the park set  ::)

I also worked a bit on the eastern part of the city centre. I had to rebuild this several time because I wasn't happy with it. You can see the regional hospital and public housing with a view (but still ugly towers :D). It will be surrounded by fields, and connected to the ring road on the right. I still have to work a bit on the roads. I think I've never made that much curves before but it looks quite better :D

Don't hesitate if you have any advices  ;)

- REPLIES -

Quote from: Glenni on February 07, 2018, 09:46:55 PM
I really like this, you did an awesome job with the w2w environments, they look very believeable and true to life. :D

Thank you very much! Of course, your bats are perfect for my work  ;)

Quote from: manga rivotra on February 12, 2018, 12:00:38 PM
This is an excellent way to introduce your future updates!  &apls &apls &apls
Everything seems extremely promising and I must say that this image of "la ferme du Bailly" immediately catch my eyes!  :)
I've always admired the way you create your downtowns, whether they're very planned or more organic, and this time is no exception. Always a very beautiful mastery of the space and excellent ideas. In short, I can not wait to see more !  :thumbsup:

Thank you too! I've become more and more meticulous, it's a nightmare :D I hope I can post the next update next week :)

Quote from: vortext on February 12, 2018, 12:31:32 PM
Beautiful indeed, looking forward to the next updates!  &apls  :thumbsup:

Thank you very much  ;)

Quote from: Akallan on February 12, 2018, 01:53:12 PM
Wow Super! The realization of your cities always amazes me, they are so beautiful, and you think of the details. As a result, the city seems alive, full of color, and always realistic! You fully master the urban environment and the rural, your job MMP is very beautiful too.

I have only one complaint to make to you that is only a detail:
The river is too smooth and square, try to create it with the MMP tools. It takes longer, but the result is often worth it!

Congratulations in any case! :thumbsup:

Merci beaucoup pour ces louanges ;) I understand what you mean for the river, but even if it looks a bit square, I think it fits better than a MMP river in my environnement. The idea is to make the same kind of river you can find in a plain environnement, not a big torrent. A bit like that:

(Wikipedia)

The size corresponds to one SC4's tile, something that is difficult to do with a MMP river.

Quote from: Simmer2 on February 13, 2018, 10:14:31 AM
Everything is so harmonious, also great MMP work all around!

Nick

Thank you very much too!

Quote from: brick_mortimer on February 13, 2018, 12:35:52 PM
Glad to see a "full" update  :)

I really like your style and your cities are a true source of inspiration!

Dank u! Goed om dat te horen  ;)

Quote from: Sciurus on February 25, 2018, 12:34:35 AM
Really beautiful pics. That makes me think about Charleroi or Liège... am I wrong ? $%Grinno$%

Bien vu! Of course, like anyone else I guess, I find inspiration with what surrounds me. That's the case for my previous cities and it's again the same with that one.

The city's name comes from an actual village called 'Arquennes' where you can find an old canal, a bit like in my own Arquennes, except the city is a bit bigger than a simple village.

There's indeed also a bit of Liège and Charleroi for the industry, still a bit of Liège for the episcopal palace, and Mons for the city's location on a hill.

Merci pour le commentaire  ;)

Quote from: kbieniu7 on March 02, 2018, 02:03:52 PM
Very nice pics! So, hove many churches per square kilometre here, in Arquennes? ;)

By the way, I like how you mix French and Dutch names, I'm really trying my best to imagine Belgium (that I have only visited on a petrol stations by a highway, I don't even know where, when I was travelling in the middle of the night, in a night bus from Kraków to London :D)!

For the moment, 4 in the city centre. I think it will be enough, because I always use the same churches... (but what can I do, those are awesome bats :D)

Well, I also find funny to use Dutch and French names  :D

Thank you for the comment  ;) If you come one day to visit, don't hesitate to tell me  :)

Simmer2

Beautiful park!!! &apls

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

kbieniu7

And me, I like how you implemented FARHW. The highway looks indeed smoother! As well as some diagonal city-centre streets in the top left of the second image  :thumbsup:

I would, however, agree with Akallan, that MMP creek would indeed look much better, mostly because of its grid-neutrality. You really have made a really nice and smooth-looking one with those puzzle pieces, though :)

I could post to his very own video tutorial, you may see some good back-stage methods ;) It's in his topic: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17539.msg511972#msg511972

Or if I could immodestly link one of my pictures as an example  $%Grinno$%
http://i.imgur.com/ojhgGaA.jpg

It needs some time to experiment with, but the effect is worth the pain. Courage! ;)

PS. I will for sure let you know if get to Belgium someday in the future ;)

feyss

I worked a bit on the canal to make it more alive (the game forced me to do it at least 10 times though, ruining my schedule...  &cry2)

- REPLIES -

Quote from: Simmer2 on March 04, 2018, 12:57:49 AM
Beautiful park!!! &apls

Nick

Thanks a lot!

Quote from: kbieniu7 on March 04, 2018, 12:36:01 PM
And me, I like how you implemented FARHW. The highway looks indeed smoother! As well as some diagonal city-centre streets in the top left of the second image  :thumbsup:

I would, however, agree with Akallan, that MMP creek would indeed look much better, mostly because of its grid-neutrality. You really have made a really nice and smooth-looking one with those puzzle pieces, though :)

I could post to his very own video tutorial, you may see some good back-stage methods ;) It's in his topic: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17539.msg511972#msg511972

Or if I could immodestly link one of my pictures as an example  $%Grinno$%
http://i.imgur.com/ojhgGaA.jpg

It needs some time to experiment with, but the effect is worth the pain. Courage! ;)

PS. I will for sure let you know if get to Belgium someday in the future ;)

Thank you too! There are indeed more diagonals than usual  :D

Your pic is interesting, that looks indeed more compact. But anyway, I think I will keep it like that because it took me a lot of time to do it  ::)

kbieniu7

Quote from: feyss on March 11, 2018, 05:18:33 PM
Your pic is interesting, that looks indeed more compact. But anyway, I think I will keep it like that because it took me a lot of time to do it  ::)

No worries! It was just a possible suggestion for the future  :) Back to the recent photos, I really lie that tree row by the canal   :thumbsup:

mattb325

I love the poplar-lined canal: very middle european....the mmp work for it and the adjacent little path must have taken quite some time  ;D

brick_mortimer

Ah, a close up of the canal!
Love the way it turned out with the trees and the halage (towpath) :thumbsup:

Gugu3

Lovely canal!

feyss

I feel like an archaeologist everytime I post in my MD  :P

Hi everyone!

It's time for the next update! Today we're going to start our tour of the old city of Arquennes  :)

24. ARQUENNES - OLD CITY (1)

1. Let's begin our tour at the City Hall. It was built outside the city walls at the end of the 18th century when the Church lost its grip on the city. On the other side of the street, you can see the St. Remacle Church, the oldest in the city, like the streets around it.

2. Real estate developers love that part of the city!

3. Not far from it, St. Jean Church and St. Georges' Gate, the only remaining gate of the city's second wall.

4. St. Jean Church is located next to one of the busiest intersection in the city. The city's location on a hill and its small streets have made mobility a huge problem for public authorities...

5. There is always a hidden park to take a walk in Arquennes.

7. Here, the city wall was replaced with trees.

8. That part of the city is heavely and densely urbanised. The municipality has been trying for the last decade to make the city more citizen-friendly by transforming some busy streets into pedestrian areas. Those now attract more and more people.

10. In case some citizens find that it is not enough, greener areas aren't far either.

11. The simply named 'Parc du Centre' (Centre's Park).

12. Football time  :P

13. Two more general views.

I hope you liked it.

Next update will show the other half of the city centre.

Stay tuned  ;)

- REPLIES -

Quote from: kbieniu7 on March 12, 2018, 12:11:20 PM
Quote from: feyss on March 11, 2018, 05:18:33 PM

No worries! It was just a possible suggestion for the future  :) Back to the recent photos, I really lie that tree row by the canal   :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot! Glad you like it  ;)

Quote from: mattb325 on March 12, 2018, 01:31:02 PM
I love the poplar-lined canal: very middle european....the mmp work for it and the adjacent little path must have taken quite some time  ;D

You're right, but it's more because of technical issues. Thanks a lot!  ;)

Quote from: brick_mortimer on March 12, 2018, 01:56:14 PM
Ah, a close up of the canal!
Love the way it turned out with the trees and the halage (towpath) :thumbsup:

Thank you too! I thought about Damme while doing this  :)

Quote from: Gugu3 on March 14, 2018, 02:07:15 AM
Lovely canal!

Thanks too  :)

fantozzi

Sorry, I'm very late on the poplars and the canal above. I thought for a while something is wrong with the picture but I couldn't figure it out. But now, with your latest entry, I rhink, I found it. Those trees are planted all in a row, not grown ocassionally. And they wouldn't be planted one tree first, five or ten years later the next tree and so on but they would have been planted when the canal was finished all in a close period of time. Therefore on most canals those espalier like trees would all have the same or similar size, I think:

The same as along the streets now in your latest pictures.

manga rivotra

As always, an excellent choice of buildings and a superb management of public urban space.  &apls &apls &apls
Very good ideas to take !  :D

korver

Lovely pictures as always. Great work with the diagonal sections and the BAT selection is superb :thumbsup:

brick_mortimer

I love the triangular square in front of St. Jean Church.
The city walls being replaced by trees, the small alleys and the pedestrian areas are details that make Arquennes very realistic, love it!  &apls

Quote from: feyss on March 30, 2018, 05:16:00 PM
Thank you too! I thought about Damme while doing this  :)
Ah Damme, I have fond memories of sitting on the terrace of a cafe with a view on the canal and the windmill drinking Straffe Hendrik until the sun went down :)

mattb325

Great choice of w2w, johnb's (I think that was the name of the batter) curved building really fits in with the old city gate  :thumbsup: