• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WIP - Arinsia

Started by feyss, June 17, 2012, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanami

Never been to europe yet even until now..... but I can really find the vibrant of european city in these pictures. Those large pavement area and plazas next to road network, trams and most important classical w2w buildings, really give the atmosphere of the city! great job.

oh and almost forget to highlight that I like the tram network on the city, it seems that the city has a massive tram network..

feyss

Some WIP pictures of Arquennes, a city that I've begun a while ago ::)

As you can see, the city is located on its hill next to the canal. The city centre has already some touristic landmarks while the southern part of the city will be an industrial neighbourhood. The rest of the city will be rural with fields on the western part and meadows and ponds along the river on the eastern part.

- REPLIES -

Quote from: praiodan on April 14, 2017, 11:08:49 AM
Lovely arrangements and fantastic pictures. I love your trams, the very green canal banks and the Municipal Theatre is a perfectly set in scene.  &apls

Thanks a lot!

Quote from: c.p. on April 15, 2017, 09:05:53 AM
Nice use of the canals, and diversity of road/street/avenue/tram networks.  Also, great selection of buildings (a lot I've never seen before). :thumbsup:

Thank you too!

Quote from: Vizoria on April 16, 2017, 11:20:40 AM
These are incredibly well-constructed European scenes. There is plenty of variety and the pavement and grass textures flow very well. Good stuff!

Thanks  ;)

Quote from: Nanami on May 15, 2017, 09:54:56 AM
Never been to europe yet even until now..... but I can really find the vibrant of european city in these pictures. Those large pavement area and plazas next to road network, trams and most important classical w2w buildings, really give the atmosphere of the city! great job.

oh and almost forget to highlight that I like the tram network on the city, it seems that the city has a massive tram network..

I'm glad I was able to give some atmosphere to my city. Thanks a lot!

Dantes

Your urban development looks very realistic and sustainable. Great little town!

brick_mortimer

Love the (old) canal and lock.

Together with the industry along the canal Arquennes will look a bit like le Pays Noir I guess.
I'm looking forward to the Industrial development  :)
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Nanami

Canal city again! I can spot that freight station.. is that area going to be industrial area?
Nice work in overal!

feyss

A small picture to show you how much I play ::) and revive this topic a bit :D

It's a bit the same than the previous one, you can spot the differences...

As it may seem obvious, I wasn't much focused on SimCity those last months. I was indeed more focused playing the Witcher 3 (I'm a bit late I know) and trying to find a job. And even sending CVs was more funny for me than playing SC4...

Anyway, I recently played a bit on Arquennes and an update about the city centre seems to be possible in a near future ;)

Regarding Alijstar, maybe I would need some help. Saving the city makes the game crash 2/3 of the time, which is the main reason for my lack of motivation recently. I love this game but the game hates me... I tried to do some research about this issue but found nothing interesting. I was planning to re-organise my plugins folder a bit and try wouanagaine's Dat Packer, but maybe is there another solution? Any ideas would be welcome  ;)

- ANSWERS -

Quote from: Nanami on June 23, 2017, 03:25:19 AM
Canal city again! I can spot that freight station.. is that area going to be industrial area?
Nice work in overal!

Indeed. I've finally found a place to try all Simmer2's awesome lots :D and I will surround them with heavy industry. The idea is also to give this part of the city a poor look by building poor quality housing next to the factories. Thank you!

Quote from: brick_mortimer on June 19, 2017, 04:27:09 AM
Love the (old) canal and lock.

Together with the industry along the canal Arquennes will look a bit like le Pays Noir I guess.
I'm looking forward to the Industrial development  :)

Inderdaad  ;) Het is een goede bron van inspiratie maar het is jammer dat er niet veel beschikbare belgische huizen voor de spel zijn  :D Bedankt!

Quote from: Dantes on June 18, 2017, 11:18:16 AM
Your urban development looks very realistic and sustainable. Great little town!

Thank you! The idea is indeed to make the transition between the city centre and its surroundings as smooth as possible!

Akallan

There is not much construction yet, but for the little that I see, I am very interested! I really like how the railway line passes through the city, with the canal and its industries next to it. I can not wait to see more, and especially closer! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

kelis

I really like your style, Can't wait to see closer views of that canals  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Themistokles

Absolutely love the idea canal, haven't seen that in I don't know how many years. It gives so much attitude to both your city scenes and rural scenes. :thumbsup:
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

feyss

Another one  ;D

- ANSWERS -

Quote from: Themistokles on November 16, 2017, 01:09:27 PM
Absolutely love the idea canal, haven't seen that in I don't know how many years. It gives so much attitude to both your city scenes and rural scenes. :thumbsup:

I was myself surprised to see how much character it could add to your cities when I first used those and I still don't understand either why people don't use them a bit more  ;) Thank you!

Quote from: kelis on November 15, 2017, 11:16:47 AM
I really like your style, Can't wait to see closer views of that canals  :thumbsup:

Don't worry, I'm doing to do it  :D Thanks!

Quote from: Akallan on November 15, 2017, 08:10:02 AM
There is not much construction yet, but for the little that I see, I am very interested! I really like how the railway line passes through the city, with the canal and its industries next to it. I can not wait to see more, and especially closer! :thumbsup:

Thank you! Canals and railway are most of the time linked to industry, so I try to do my best to make it as realistic as possiblle!

art128

Is it going to be a standard highway or a ring road? Looks good. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

brick_mortimer

Glad you're still playing :)

Quote from: feyss on November 15, 2017, 06:19:01 AM
Inderdaad  ;) Het is een goede bron van inspiratie maar het is jammer dat er niet veel beschikbare belgische huizen voor de spel zijn  :D Bedankt!
True, finding Belgian style buildings isn't easy, and especially if you're inspired by Wallonia.
Some Dutch bats might fit (sometimes) if you're going for a Flanders inspired city, but they would surely look out of place in Arquennes.

I always found the work of supremec over at ToutSimCities fitting for a Belgian style town (even if it's based on the buildings in Northern France).
I guess that's "our" fate, find Dutch and French bats that look the part :P
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

Nanami

Nice work!

Are those prefabs in the right side will be inside a prefabs complex? Looking forward to see more...

feyss

Slooooooowly but surely ::)

The part on the top left is going to be a commercial area, between the ring road and the highway. Even if close to the city, the river surroundings are going to remain 'natural' with meadows surrounding it (in order to avoid flood risk or at least not make them worse) and poplars on the banks.

edit:

- REPLIES -

Quote from: Nanami on November 25, 2017, 08:17:43 PM
Nice work!

Are those prefabs in the right side will be inside a prefabs complex? Looking forward to see more...

Thank you! I'm planning to add more of those to make a social housing neighbourhood on the hill  ;)

Quote from: brick_mortimer on November 19, 2017, 01:29:44 PM
Glad you're still playing :)

Quote from: feyss on November 15, 2017, 06:19:01 AM
True, finding Belgian style buildings isn't easy, and especially if you're inspired by Wallonia.
Some Dutch bats might fit (sometimes) if you're going for a Flanders inspired city, but they would surely look out of place in Arquennes.

I always found the work of supremec over at ToutSimCities fitting for a Belgian style town (even if it's based on the buildings in Northern France).
I guess that's "our" fate, find Dutch and French bats that look the part :P

Thank you too! You're right, supremec's BATs are great but they are too small for a city I think. Or maybe it's all the other BATs that are oversized?  :D They could fit perfectly in a small village though.

Quote from: art128 on November 18, 2017, 06:54:19 AM
Is it going to be a standard highway or a ring road? Looks good. :)

Thank you Arthur! It is indeed going to be a ring road, the city's location on a hill and its small roads being problematic for transit traffic  ;)

feyss

I am almost there with an update (Yes, for real!)  :)

If only I knew that MMP was that time consuming too  :D

kbieniu7

Hey, nice to see an update in your topic, feyss!  :)

I love the palace! You made it really well to achieve an appearance of a complex of several buildings and a church. What is more, the pavement texture fits there really well  :thumbsup: The WIP photo of your city under construction is also nice, it seems that it is going to be a nice mix. However, there is one detail that I could not walk by without a comment. Why there is a railway climbing up onto a viaduct and going back down just to cross a ROAD, excuse me? That's touching my enginnering soul, it's inappropiate, I ask you to do something with it! :D

Regarding the today's photo - that's really a nice village! Indeed, MMP take times to be plopped ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Themistokles

MMPs are exhaustively time-consuming but you made it really beautiful! I am looking forward to seeing more of it. The riverside town develops nice as well, although I do have to agree with Kamil about the railway viaduct ;)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

feyss

Hi everyone!

It seems that almost a year has passed since the last update. As usual, I've been losing interest for the game then came back to it and started working on different projects without finishing them. And you all know that I'm quite slow... The play time counter from Steam is for instance quite depressing for me to see  :D

It's time for me to introduce Arquennes, the city that will interest us in the next updates. The idea, as you may have seen, was to create some kind of regional middle town located on its hill next to the canal and trying to make it as organic as possible.

23. ARQUENNES - INTRODUCTION

QuoteFar from Arinsian biggest cities, Arquennes is located at the rural heart of the country. Despite its size, the city had for a long time a lot of power, as the capital of an episcopal principality. From that time, only remains imposing landmarks and a certain kind of parochialism in its citizens' mind. After being annexed by Arinsia in 1795, the city indeed lost its importance and the Church ceased to rule the city. A bit later, the canal between Kookart and Olsènes was built, transforming the meadows landscape below the city into an industrial one. Today, despite the decline of the industry, the city remains a dynamic place that attracts tourists and amateurs of nature.

1. Episcopal city means churches...

2. 'La ferme du Bailli', a specific update will be dedicated to that place

3. Feluy, one of the 5 other villages that are part of Arquennes municipality. Same, a specific update for that one  ;)

4. Arquennes itself, its cathedral and episcopal palace

I hope you liked those pictures. The next ones are coming soon  :thumbsup:

Time to sleep now  :D

- REPLIES -

Quote from: Themistokles on February 04, 2018, 05:43:10 AM
MMPs are exhaustively time-consuming but you made it really beautiful! I am looking forward to seeing more of it. The riverside town develops nice as well, although I do have to agree with Kamil about the railway viaduct ;)

Thank you very much! You're right, I'm going to think about it. I was just a bit annoyed by making a rail crossing just next to a roundabout. It's no really the best idea regarding mobility  :D

Quote from: kbieniu7 on February 04, 2018, 03:33:48 AM
Hey, nice to see an update in your topic, feyss!  :)

I love the palace! You made it really well to achieve an appearance of a complex of several buildings and a church. What is more, the pavement texture fits there really well  :thumbsup: The WIP photo of your city under construction is also nice, it seems that it is going to be a nice mix. However, there is one detail that I could not walk by without a comment. Why there is a railway climbing up onto a viaduct and going back down just to cross a ROAD, excuse me? That's touching my enginnering soul, it's inappropiate, I ask you to do something with it! :D

Regarding the today's photo - that's really a nice village! Indeed, MMP take times to be plopped ;)

Thank you too my friend! This church is perfect for that with its W2W annex next to it. As said to Themistokles, your remark indeed makes sense. I only added this train line later, so of course the roads next to it aren't really adapted. I will se what I can do, but I'm more working on the other side of the city at the moment  ;)

Glenni

I really like this, you did an awesome job with the w2w environments, they look very believeable and true to life. :D

manga rivotra

This is an excellent way to introduce your future updates!  &apls &apls &apls
Everything seems extremely promising and I must say that this image of "la ferme du Bailly" immediately catch my eyes!  :)
I've always admired the way you create your downtowns, whether they're very planned or more organic, and this time is no exception. Always a very beautiful mastery of the space and excellent ideas. In short, I can not wait to see more !  :thumbsup: