• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WIP - Arinsia

Started by feyss, June 17, 2012, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feyss

Small change of plan after downloading that old (but still great) factory from jestarr. The meadow located there got sacrificed...

Next pictures soon  :thumbsup:

- REPLIES -

Quote from: fantozzi on March 31, 2018, 12:19:01 AM
Sorry, I'm very late on the poplars and the canal above. I thought for a while something is wrong with the picture but I couldn't figure it out. But now, with your latest entry, I rhink, I found it. Those trees are planted all in a row, not grown ocassionally. And they wouldn't be planted one tree first, five or ten years later the next tree and so on but they would have been planted when the canal was finished all in a close period of time. Therefore on most canals those espalier like trees would all have the same or similar size, I think:

The same as along the streets now in your latest pictures.

You're totally right about this. I just found it more aesthetic that way, since there is only one tree model available at each size. They would have all looked the same while in nature there are still differences even if they have the same size.

Thanks for that relevant remark  ;)

Quote from: manga rivotra on March 31, 2018, 07:46:42 AM
As always, an excellent choice of buildings and a superb management of public urban space.  &apls &apls &apls
Very good ideas to take !  :D

Thank you very much  ;)

Quote from: korver on April 01, 2018, 11:54:55 AM
Lovely pictures as always. Great work with the diagonal sections and the BAT selection is superb :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot! I've tried to have more diagonals than usual in that city. Glad you like it  ;)

Quote from: brick_mortimer on April 02, 2018, 02:48:45 PM
I love the triangular square in front of St. Jean Church.
The city walls being replaced by trees, the small alleys and the pedestrian areas are details that make Arquennes very realistic, love it!  &apls

Quote from: feyss on March 30, 2018, 05:16:00 PM
Thank you too! I thought about Damme while doing this  :)
Ah Damme, I have fond memories of sitting on the terrace of a cafe with a view on the canal and the windmill drinking Straffe Hendrik until the sun went down :)

I see that you have a good taste  :P

Thanks a lot for that supporting comment  :thumbsup:

Quote from: mattb325 on April 02, 2018, 06:47:04 PM
Great choice of w2w, johnb's (I think that was the name of the batter) curved building really fits in with the old city gate  :thumbsup:

Thank you too!

I don't think it's from johnb's (it's not on his files list on ST) but I couldn't find the actual batter. He had the good idea to call this bat 'custom ploppable' in game...  ::)

Anyway, it's the first time I find a way to give this building justice, great to see you liked it  ;)

brick_mortimer

The factory fits well with the canal.
Can't wait to see how that area will turn out!

Quote from: feyss on April 13, 2018, 01:55:25 PM
call this bat 'custom ploppable' in game...  ::)
Oh, I think I have the same one in my plugins folder  :D :D :D
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

mattb325

I don't think it's from johnb's (it's not on his files list on ST) but I couldn't find the actual batter. He had the good idea to call this bat 'custom ploppable' in game...  ::)

Anyway, it's the first time I find a way to give this building justice, great to see you liked it  ;)

I was 'kinda' close...JonM ( ::) you have to forgive old age). He has good W2W stuff. His creativity burnt bright for 2 months in 2009: https://community.simtropolis.com/profile/22036-jonm/content/?type=downloads_file

feyss

Hello everyone!

Today, we're going to continue our tour of Arquennes' old city  ;)

Let's go!

25. ARQUENNES - OLD CITY (2)

1. We begin directly with the city's most famous landmarks, St. Etienne Cathedral and the episcopal palace. They were the symbols during centuries of the city's ecclesiastical power. Now, they attract many tourists. The cathedral's tower can be seen from many kilometers around.

2. On the right, the simply named Arquennes Museum, it was built in 1923 to show the many pieces of art that the Episcopal Principality had gathered during centuries. Not far from it, people love wandering next to Cardinal Ladeuze fountain.

3. The city is not flat of course! On the Right, St. Jacques' Gate, from the city's first wall.

4. People really appreciate pedestrian areas!

5. The last picture features several things that I've tried to implement in this city:

- More roundabouts to make it as much European as possible
- More curves to give the city a more natural look
- More green areas. FrankU's parks are awesome for that purpose! I can't stop using them.
- More empty walls. Cities IRL aren't perfect, so I don't think I should cover every walls, especially when the BAT maker added awesome textures on it!

7. Rue du Rempart ('Wall street'), a pedestrian street with many restaurants.

8. The train station. As you can see, the building is a bit outdated. Fortunately, its renovation was decided by the national train company.

11. The Old Market, an institution in Arquennes, and the Memorial 39-45.

14. One small mosaic.

15. 3 Bigger views ;)

I hope you liked it!

See you soon  :P

- REPLIES -

Quote from: brick_mortimer on April 14, 2018, 02:46:02 AM
The factory fits well with the canal.
Can't wait to see how that area will turn out!

call this bat 'custom ploppable' in game...  ::)
Oh, I think I have the same one in my plugins folder  :D :D :D

Thanks a lot! That's indeed not the most convenient thing  :D

Quote from: mattb325 on April 14, 2018, 03:49:47 PM

I was 'kinda' close...JonM ( ::) you have to forgive old age). He has good W2W stuff. His creativity burnt bright for 2 months in 2009: https://community.simtropolis.com/profile/22036-jonm/content/?type=downloads_file

Great you found it! He indeed made awesome BATs during a short period of time. It's sad that he didn't continue...

Simmer2

Wow! Its like I'm on an helicopter above some old European city &apls &apls

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

mattb325

It looks great! I love the sidewalk mod you are using. It really fits perfectly with the old European town feel  :satisfied:

feyss

One WIP picture for the moment:

The ring road is now connected to the former main road. The edge of the map was a bit annoying though ::) I also had to connect it to the coal power plant's main access (in black asphalt).

The 2x2 lanes road replaces the main road further.

Next pictures soon with some rural scenes  :thumbsup:

- REPLIES -

Quote from: Simmer2 on April 22, 2018, 09:07:58 PM
Wow! Its like I'm on an helicopter above some old European city &apls &apls

Simmer2

Thanks a lot! Maybe someone should organise helicopter tour of the city for tourists  :D

Quote from: mattb325 on April 23, 2018, 02:10:54 PM
It looks great! I love the sidewalk mod you are using. It really fits perfectly with the old European town feel  :satisfied:

Thank you too! It's my own personalised one! Glad to see you like it  ;)

brick_mortimer

Didn't find the time to reply with anything other than "great" or "Love it"; and as my mother used to say: If you don't have anything worthwhile to say, it's better to shut up.

So, I decided to reply a bit later to the April 22nd update and behold , we have a nice WIP picture as a bonus :)

Okay, your city is really coming to life and has this very realistic vibe.
Like @Simmer2 says: it's like you're in a [insert flying contraption] over a European city.

It's not only the general vibe, it's in the details:
-The square in front of the cathedral: a perfect spot for the roundabout fountain. :thumbsup:
-St. Jacques' Gate is placed perfectly: the best place for the old city wall would have been on top of that slope which works as a natural rampart.
-The pedestrian area, the terraces, the people, wonderfull!
-The fact that the railwaystation is outside the old city, squeezed next to the canal adds to the realism.
-The same can be said of the fact that the bigger (road)roundabouts are outside the old city walls (as far as I can see of course). There's just no room in an old city to build a large(-ish) roundabout, you'd have to knock down a lot of houses :P

About the WIP picture:
-The interchange at the edge of the map is a perfect example of the kind of ad hoc solution you find when a ringroad is approved without all the pesky details worked out.
At a certain point the new road will meet the old road and you'll have to build an interchange in a really tight space because the budget for expropriation* was limited  :D
-I like the way you used the terrain, both in the city and with the ringroad &apls
-Is that a row of working class houses between the powerplant and the silos? ;)

*eminent domain / compulsory purchase for the devotees based in the USA / UK and Commenwealth
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good