• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WIP - Arinsia

Started by feyss, June 17, 2012, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanami

Yet another nice progress!  &apls
Well yeah it is make sense seeing how the terrain around bridge to put station closer to the town center... Hope the position of station will attract more people there...

Bipin

Quote from: _Michael on March 13, 2017, 11:26:36 PM
Quote from: Bipin on March 13, 2017, 09:00:08 PM
Fantastic work! I'm not often one for Euro-styled towns, but you've done this well!  &apls What base texture mod are you using here?  It looks great.
If you're in reference to the sidewalk mod, I believe it is a custom texture that has been used. :)

And looking great feyss - I love the whole atmosphere of this town

Yes, well not only the sidewalk mod, but also the matching base textures. They look like something from Gobias. I'd assume it is a modded mod of his, if you see what I mean?

feyss

Quote from: Bipin on March 14, 2017, 09:13:34 AM
Fantastic work! I'm not often one for Euro-styled towns, but you've done this well!  &apls What base texture mod are you using here?  It looks great.
If you're in reference to the sidewalk mod, I believe it is a custom texture that has been used. :)

Yes, well not only the sidewalk mod, but also the matching base textures. They look like something from Gobias. I'd assume it is a modded mod of his, if you see what I mean?

It's indeed my own personalised sidewalk mod. I just replaced more than only Maxis textures, so most of the buildings can fit properly without needing to use the LE to change it :)

Bipin

Quote from: feyss on March 14, 2017, 09:33:01 AM
Quote from: Bipin on March 14, 2017, 09:13:34 AM

It's indeed my own personalised sidewalk mod. I just replaced more than only Maxis textures, so most of the buildings can fit properly without needing to use the LE to change it :)

Would you ever consider releasing it? It's exactly what I'm looking for! :)

feyss

_Michael, brick_mortimer, Nanami, Bipin > Thanks for the nice comments!

Regarding my sidewalk mod, yeah I can share it. I will do that tomorrow, because now it's time to sleep here  ;)

Here is another WIP picture. Akallan motivated me to make a pond for the first time (yes I know, in 2017  :D ). Such a shame that they built an highway here isn't it ?

Edit:

Here's my sidewalk mod for Bipin, or anyone else who would like to try it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff9ua5vic3sws6h/textures%20perso.dat?dl=0

I would just like to notice that since I made it for myself a while ago, it's obviously not perfect and not officially releasable. It's indeed based on my own game needs.

It's why, for instance, the cobblestone base texture that you would find with some buildings isn't replaced, because I was using Marrast embankments that were using the same texture, and replacing it made those really ugly in my opinion. There may be a few other exceptions since I replaced the textures one by one, but the best thing is to try it  ;)

Bipin

Very nice!  ;D Thanks for the download link, and thanks for using one of my smokestacks!

korver

Lovely scenery and some great MMPing!

Nanami

Yeah that highway kinda on the way of natural pathway..... but atleast it going through the hill by tunnel otherway it will ruins more :D ....

Great as usual! thats a nice forest and pond MMPing!

feyss

Hi everyone!

Today is a bit unusual update that you maybe have already seen since I posted it some months ago on Simtropolis. I usually post directly here afterwards but the idea of copy/pasting all the picture was really discouraging me, which is stupid since it takes only a few minutes but I'm a professional procrastinator... And then, time flew when I was busy doing something else.

So, as you know, my previous city of Olsènes wass prop-poxed, so I decided to give up with it. Nevertheless, I promised to post some unfinished pictures: here we are... I was thinking that those parts of the city, even if they look like crap, were still deserving to be featured on an update. I also thought this would interest some of you to see how the city was planned. Besides, it can help me to move forwards, since I have some pictures of Alijstar (good news isn't it?) that I expect to post in the next days  ;)

I provided some explanations about what came to my mind while building this city.

20. OLSENES - UNFINISHED STUFF

1. Central Station and its surroundings

As shown on the 'work in progress' thread, the central station was formerly a passing station, so I didn't like it. I built this Orsay station instead, which I think is one of the best station ever made for this game.

Normally, stations surroundings are often crappy neighbourhoods but here I wanted something different. I wanted a prestigious station surrounded by nice looking surroundings. It's why I built the 'de Ligne Boulevard' a tree-lined avenue with the tramway that ends with the 'Belmont park". I know I don't build enough park in my cities so I wanted a little bit of greenery in the city centre.

I also built an Haussmannian neighbourhood next to the station, called 'Litlle Paris'. Rents are obviously high there. Unfortunately, after trying to finish it and being unable to save each time, I gave up.

On the west side of the station is located the CBD with one railway track going through it. Two other tracks were crossing the river to the south. Then, on the east was supposed to be build some railyards and some train depots next to the tracks. Between the tracks and the river, some low health houses, to make some contrast in comparison with the showy buildings of the CBD.

2. Upper city

This is the upper part of the old city. In the middle was supposed to be the 'Place d'Arme', an important square and transport hub with several tram and metro lines.

There was also supposed to be another important station next to that neighbourhood, just next to an important church.

3. Herbinster

Nothing special here. It was supposed to be the kind of neighbourhood that grown just outside the city walls before they were removed. It's then a mix of offices and apartments.

The neighbourhood is separated from more suburban areas by an urban tree-lined highway, as you can see on the bottom of the next picture. There were supposed to be the city university there, some commie blocks ans some healthy houses on a hill.

4. CBD

For once, I was 100% happy with my work here.

At first, I didn't plan to build huge skyscrapers in the city but then I changed my mind. For me, they're a way to add some verticality and some modernity into my w2w European cities. I was really proud of that CBD because I thought (and still think) I found here the best combination of buildings who all look great together.  It's also not too much and enough at the same time.

5. Etale & Glanes

Here is Etale and Glanes neighbourhoods. The lowest part of Etale is located on the extreme left of the following pictures. There are some buildings from the CBD there. I also added a tramway line running in the middle and a bridge connecting it with the old city. I still had to change some w2w buildings.

Just on the right, below the stadium is located 'Upper Etale'. It was supposed to be built around a square with a small church and a museum. You can also see the railway and the motorway going below the hill with a tunnel. Even though I liked that idea, I was not really satisfied on how both the railway and highway were made on the top of the picture. I indeed didn't like the connection between the two railway lines and the fact it was not possible to make a more curvy motorway.

Finally, on the left: Glanes. This was supposed to be a low residential neighbourhood.

A bit of Hollogne on the left:

6. Mazy-Notre-Dame & Avenue Louise

I've already shown this neighbourhoods with some pictures. That district was supposed to be divided by the 'Avenue Louise', a prestigious avenue between the city centre and the suburbs. This was inspired by the eponymous avenue in Brussels, an avenue surrounded by offices and healthy housing which has become an open sky motorway due to its traffic and the way it was built.

The avenue was supposed to end with a palace surrounded by a healthy neighbourhood, as well as some of the tram lines running in the middle of the avenue.

On the left was also planned an important train station.

7. Yvoir & Mariefontaine

Yvoir (on top of the river) and Mariefontaine (on the bottom) were supposed to be the most industrial neighbourhoods of the city. As you can see on the pictures, there were already some factories built there.

The idea here was to mix industry and low health residential areas like in other industrial European cities (the examples here were Liège or Charleroi). The next picture show that idea: some rail tracks with warehouses, some empty lots, industry next to buildings and some supermarkets replacing closed factories. I also added the Grand Moulins building (the white one on the right) as a symbol of renewal and conversion.

On the other bank, the motorway was supposed to run through the area on an ugly bridge above the industries.

8. Global views

And we finish here with 4 global views of the city:

I hope you enjoyed it even if it was a little bit unusual update ;)

- REPLIES -

Quote from: Nanami on March 21, 2017, 10:31:55 AM
Yeah that highway kinda on the way of natural pathway..... but atleast it going through the hill by tunnel otherway it will ruins more :D ....

Great as usual! thats a nice forest and pond MMPing!

Thanks a lot! A chance indeed they didn't blow the whole hill  :D

Quote from: korver on March 18, 2017, 02:20:36 AM
Lovely scenery and some great MMPing!

Thank you too!

Quote from: Bipin on March 17, 2017, 09:47:26 AM
Very nice!  ;D Thanks for the download link, and thanks for using one of my smokestacks!

You're welcome! And it's me who has to thank you for your awesome bats  ;)

manga rivotra

An excellent update.  &apls &apls &apls
It is a pity that the city is prop-poxed because there are really many great ideas of urban development and what is finished is very successful including Avenue Louise and the CBD whose buildings all curve follow very aesthetically the meanders of the river.
A real source of inspiration, thanks for that  :thumbsup:

siemanthepieman

Agreed - a great update. Really interesting to see how you layout and build up a city around your plans. Thanks for sharing.

feyss

Hi everyone!

Time has come for a real update of Alijstar, also known by tourists as 'the Venice of the North'. I advice you to make yourself a cup of tea or coffee and install you comfortably, because there are more pictures than usual ;)

21. ALIJSTAR - THE VENICE OF THE NORTH

1. Let's begin our tour of Alijstar with one of the city's main location: The Liberty Square (Vrijheidsplein). This important place has always been the central point of the city. It's indeed here, during the Middle-Ages and Renaissance, that merchants from all over the known world unloaded their precious shipment. Since then, the city has never lost its commercial identity, even if the harbour facilities moved a bit outside the city centre.

2. Next to this square, you can find the Ducal Palace and the Our Lady Church.

3. Not far from here is located the Municipal Theatre.

6. In this densely urbanised city, canals offer some fresh air and some greenery to its citizens.

7. The former Grand Moulins factory, now used as the city's Modern Art Museum.

9. The Old Harbour Station. Well, you can't actually see the harbour but it's for another update ;)

11. St. Catherine's Church

14. Diagonal canals, yeah!

16. The St. Rumbold's Cathedral, part of UNESCO World Heritage.

18. Despite the quiet feeling that the canals could give, Alijstar is a bit noisy city. The highway is for instance not far.

19. But less forget the noise and come back where tourists prefer to spend their time: the St. Peter's Church and its surroundings.

21. Summer seems obviously like a good idea, but autumn is also a nice season to visit the city.

27. Some random shots.

31. More general views:

38. And finally...

I hope you enjoyed all those pictures ;)

- REPLIES -

Quote from: manga rivotra on March 31, 2017, 10:04:45 AM
An excellent update.  &apls &apls &apls
It is a pity that the city is prop-poxed because there are really many great ideas of urban development and what is finished is very successful including Avenue Louise and the CBD whose buildings all curve follow very aesthetically the meanders of the river.
A real source of inspiration, thanks for that  :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot! I tried to build the city in the most realistic way with a river that fits perfectly instead of being just a bunch of water in the middle of it and hills that follow its path!

Quote from: siemanthepieman on March 31, 2017, 06:36:04 PM
Agreed - a great update. Really interesting to see how you layout and build up a city around your plans. Thanks for sharing.

A huge thanks to you for passing by and commenting!

Akallan

Quote from: feyss on March 15, 2017, 06:23:56 PM
_Michael, brick_mortimer, Nanami, Bipin > Thanks for the nice comments!

Regarding my sidewalk mod, yeah I can share it. I will do that tomorrow, because now it's time to sleep here  ;)

Here is another WIP picture. Akallan motivated me to make a pond for the first time (yes I know, in 2017  :D ). Such a shame that they built an highway here isn't it ?

Edit:

Here's my sidewalk mod for Bipin, or anyone else who would like to try it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff9ua5vic3sws6h/textures%20perso.dat?dl=0

I would just like to notice that since I made it for myself a while ago, it's obviously not perfect and not officially releasable. It's indeed based on my own game needs.

It's why, for instance, the cobblestone base texture that you would find with some buildings isn't replaced, because I was using Marrast embankments that were using the same texture, and replacing it made those really ugly in my opinion. There may be a few other exceptions since I replaced the textures one by one, but the best thing is to try it  ;)

There is a beginning to everything, and it's better late than ever! :D
I love the pond, and the small detail that makes the difference: the wooden boat that flows in the pond. :thumbsup:

For your last update: superb pictures, I love the canal as it sillone the city and the streets with the tram are really well done. We see that you like to build the networks of trams and transport in general! I like this! :popcorn:

Just a question, I see on some of your images your RHW three-lane highway with a three-way tunnel. Where did you find these tunnels? (It's ok)
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

Simmer2

Everything is placed just right. It definitively feels and looks like an Italian city  &apls
________________________________________________________________________________

korver

Like I said on ST - great update :thumbsup:

I also really loved what you had going with Olsènes, truly a shame it got poxed. The avenue area looked especially nice, as well as that riverfront CBD.

kbieniu7

Regarding the update of Olsènes - yeah, that's a pity that it has been prop poxed, the pictures that you have shown us look great :( I, personally, don't like terminus-type railway stations... they're so impractical. Vienna used to have few terminus stations (as far as I know), but in recent years they have built a new Wien Hbhf that is now a passing station :P Anywa, I admire the area of yours and the park on a hill... For me, it's a place that could easily became a symbol of Olsènes. The second place I liked the most is Avenue Louise. That's a really scenic line - row of trees and the view closed by a palace. Wonderful! :)

Regarding the last update. It's indeed like a Venice. Or just Amsterdam, depending on the point of view, Venice could be "Amsterdam of the South" (I see even we've changed the language to - I suppose - Flemish?) :D

10th photo - like the idea of the tramway loop around the train station. Good place for a change point  :thumbsup:

16th - That's my favourite - St. Rumbold's Cathedral among the canals (and tramways) - this place indeed deserves being put on a UNESCO list ;)

18th - I can see our highway there! :D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

feyss

Hi everyone  :)

Here is the sequel of my last update with some mosaics. I think it's what I will do in my next updates: one bunch of 'normal' pictures, and then some mosaics, because what's better than this for showing a city? ;)

Without more useless talk, here are the pictures:

22. ALIJSTAR - THE VENICE OF THE NORTH: THE MOSAICS

1. The Cathedral and some old residential neighbourhood:

2. From top to bottom: the Old Harbour Station and its brand new office buildings, the 'Hertogsvaart' (Duke's canal), the Municipal Theatre, the 'Arsenaal' (another canal, the name comes from its former military allocation) and the Grand Moulins Museum. (Yes, the canals on the upper left are connected to the harbour!)

3. St. Peter's Church, 'Hertogsvaart', 'Vrijheidsplein' (Liberty Square) and 'Oude Vaart' (Old Canal).

4. St. Catherine's Church and the Cathedral.

5. Same than #2 but in the opposite view.

6. Autumn yeah!

7. The biggest one for the end: the Municipal Theatre, 'Hertogsvaart', Our Lady Church, 'Oude Vaart', 'Looiersvaart' (Tanners' canal), St. Catherine's Church, and other random canals.

Hope you enjoyed it and see you next time  ;)

- REPLIES -

Quote from: Akallan on April 01, 2017, 07:24:03 AM

There is a beginning to everything, and it's better late than ever! :D
I love the pond, and the small detail that makes the difference: the wooden boat that flows in the pond. :thumbsup:

For your last update: superb pictures, I love the canal as it sillone the city and the streets with the tram are really well done. We see that you like to build the networks of trams and transport in general! I like this! :popcorn:

Thanks a lot for your comment! trams are indeed my cup of tea!

Quote from: Simmer2 on April 01, 2017, 07:47:50 AM
Everything is placed just right. It definitively feels and looks like an Italian city  &apls

Thanks a lot mate!

Quote from: korver on April 01, 2017, 11:43:22 PM
Like I said on ST - great update :thumbsup:

I also really loved what you had going with Olsènes, truly a shame it got poxed. The avenue area looked especially nice, as well as that riverfront CBD.

Thank you too! I will probably do another avenue like that someday  :D

Quote from: kbieniu7 on April 08, 2017, 07:19:06 AM
Regarding the update of Olsènes - yeah, that's a pity that it has been prop poxed, the pictures that you have shown us look great :( I, personally, don't like terminus-type railway stations... they're so impractical. Vienna used to have few terminus stations (as far as I know), but in recent years they have built a new Wien Hbhf that is now a passing station :P Anywa, I admire the area of yours and the park on a hill... For me, it's a place that could easily became a symbol of Olsènes. The second place I liked the most is Avenue Louise. That's a really scenic line - row of trees and the view closed by a palace. Wonderful! :)

Regarding the last update. It's indeed like a Venice. Or just Amsterdam, depending on the point of view, Venice could be "Amsterdam of the South" (I see even we've changed the language to - I suppose - Flemish?) :D

10th photo - like the idea of the tramway loop around the train station. Good place for a change point  :thumbsup:

16th - That's my favourite - St. Rumbold's Cathedral among the canals (and tramways) - this place indeed deserves being put on a UNESCO list ;)

18th - I can see our highway there! :D

Thank you too! I don't like terminus station IRL either because it's quite annoying, but I do like how they look ingame! In Vienna, there was indeed two terminus stations at 100 meters from each other, which was a bit stupid. The new Hauptbahnhof is then a good idea.

I also like that small park, that makes the city look prestigious. Regarding the avenue, it was inspirated by the avenue of the same name in Brussels, which is also supposed to be a prestigious avenue but which happens to be some kind of urban motorway. I will probably do another avenue like that someday.

Regarding Alijstar, I indeed try to make my tramway lines as realistic as possible. The station you mentionned is indeed the terminus of one of the line that go there. It's better for the tram to be able to wait there or make a u-turn without bothering the rest of the trams.

First time in find a way to build that cathedral in one of my city, I though its Dutch style would fit perfectly  ;)

praiodan

Lovely arrangements and fantastic pictures. I love your trams, the very green canal banks and the Municipal Theatre is a perfectly set in scene.  &apls

c.p.

Nice use of the canals, and diversity of road/street/avenue/tram networks.  Also, great selection of buildings (a lot I've never seen before). :thumbsup:

Vizoria

These are incredibly well-constructed European scenes. There is plenty of variety and the pavement and grass textures flow very well. Good stuff!