• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Adara - Update 184 - March 26, 2012

Started by Battlecat, February 10, 2009, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickD

I could look at the images forever. It is definitely worth downloading them.  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Reikhardt

Those are great composites! It looks like the city has really grown around the landscape!  &apls

sumwonyuno

The region level views are wonderful as always!  It certainly has that realistic feel to it.   :)

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

kwakelaar

Wow and wow again, always amazing to see these large overviews. Just thinking about the amount of work that is put into these pictures...... :thumbsup:

Exla357

First time here, I regret not visiting before.
All I can say is that I want your Mayor Mode Flora Menu. Now.  :thumbsup:
Great job with everything! :)

-Alex

samerton

Wow! Beautiful shorelines and an amazing region view!  &apls

canyonjumper

Wow, the composites are taking longer and longer to download :P Great job with Dunster Bend, and I bet the next tile will be even better ;D

Your friend,
                                       Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Battlecat

Matthijs: Thanks very much!

TiFlo: Thanks for delurking!  Glad you like it!

io_bg: Thanks for your kind words!

travismking: Glad you like them!  It's been a while since I've done any significant urban development, but it is out there.  As I mentioned in the PM, the urban area is called Winfield

Raphael (RickD): Thanks, glad you enjoyed them!

Reikhardt: That's my goal!  Thanks for your thoughts

sumwonyuno: Glad to hear it, thanks for stopping in!

Gjermund (kwakelaar): It's a bit over 2 years for what you see now!

Alex (Exla357): Welcome!  Let me see.  I've got Pegasus' Pond set, all the Rural Renewal Project sets and the Olympic tree Controller .  In the case of the tree controller, there are several by CP that produce different God Mod results, but they all include a diverse variety of mayor mode tree brushes.  Anyhow, this should help you get started! 

Sam (samerton): Thanks!

Jordan (canyonjumper): Thanks very much!

Update 160
Lehman Valley – Slow Start

So I was fried this weekend what with selling our apartment and looking for a house.  I may miss an updated without warning in the future but I'll try to update regularly in spite of things.  At the very least, I'll keep you all posted! 

160-1: Let's start off with a composite overview.  Here is Lehman Valley.  For those of you unfamiliar with this region, it is directly south of Vavenby.  The river that will be flowing through the area is called Lehman River. Click the

160-2: This map is going to feature a particularly interesting feature that will entail a change to the forest detailing.  I want to emulate a real world feature found near Whistler, BC.  I'll tell you about it when I actually start detailing, but as a hint, it relates directly to why the river splits the way it does on this map.  Railways are always a good place to start after the river draft. 

160-3: Road were next on the list.  This is the west side gravel road.  Bridge don't exist on streets as far as I know, so the conversion to city road is necessary.  I have no idea if I'm going to retain that stub or use it for anything. 

160-4: It's coming along quite nicely but I still have some work to do to get the core transport network in place.  The cut where the railway climbs is visible in the upper left corner of this image.  The main highway is also visible winding up the east side of the river.

Sadly that's about the point where a headache laid me out for the rest of the day.  But I'll be back at it as soon as I can!

rooker1

You have piqued my curiousity.
Hmmmm.....,"to emulate a real world feature found near Whistler, BC."

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Exla357

Hey, thanks for the links LOL!
Looks awesome. :thumbsup:

-Alex

RickD

Now I am curious. *opening google earth and looking at Whistler, BC*  :)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

samerton

It's great to see how you start off your beautiful areas. Looking forward to seeing this area develop  :thumbsup:

metarvo

I'm excited about the prospect of a new type of area in Adara.  It looks strange to see bare terrain again here, but I know without a doubt that you'll detail it beautifully.  In regards to pic 160-3, the NAM actually allows street bridges.  For that matter, there are downloadable STR bridges available as well, although the conversion to DTR for the bridge might not be a bad idea anyway.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

io_bg

Nice start of that new city tile. And I think there are street bridges in the NAM plus an additional one made by jeronij. Looking forward to seeing how you handle that RL-inspired forest!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Gayowulf

I'm speechless.  As usual, Adara surpasses all expectations.  I'm finally done with the semester from H-E-double-pogo-sticks and back into SC4 (and finally getting started on my own City Journal - for which Adara has given me tremendous inspiration) so hopefully I'll be around a little more.

I vote VERY YES on the new shoreline detailing!  It's nothing less than spectacular.  And that little creek with the marshes is just divine.  I'm loving the golf course.  Why the heck am I loving the golf course!?  I don't even like golf!  I guess that's just the magic of Adara.

You have no idea how much I want to take a trip to Adara.  Go for a leisurely drive along those winding country roads.  Kayak down that beautifully twisting river.  Hike along the shoreline and have a solitary lunch on the secluded little island.  Stroll down the streets of Winfield and pop into any cafés and used book stores I pass.  Take a backpacking trip through the mountains, discovering all the hidden little secrets; the secret back roads, the old rockslides, the flower-strewn meadows left by clear-cuts with young trees just beginning to grow.  Sit on the grassy shores of the lake and contemplate the stunning views.

I await the future of Adara with enthusiasm.  And apparently I have a peculiar definition of "speechless". ;)

Get rid of the headache.  Those things suck.  Feel better soon!
Goodness me, it's been a while.
Once upon a (very long) time (ago) I was working on Calidore: A Steampunk Experiment... maybe that will happen again someday.

If you're thinking I used to have a different name on here... I did. It still me!

noahclem

Wow, great finale for Dunster Bend! The new tile is looking very promising as well and it's nice to get a recap of the region  :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if you're still interested, but bridges have been for both streets and single-tile rail. A quick perusal of the LEX found this one by jeronij that might fit well for a rural street:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=857

And another by choco:

http://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2038

and here's several STR bridges available:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1998
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1999
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2000

Can't wait to see more of the new tile!  :thumbsup:

bat

Great work on update 159 and 160! :thumbsup:

Skimbo

I just gotta post again: great work :thumbsup:
The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

Battlecat

Robin (rooker1): Well I was slightly wrong in the location.  I suppose "near" is a relative thing when it's only an hour drive between Whistler and Squamish.  There is a link below that shows a satellite image with the relevant feature. 

Alex (Exla357): No problem at all, feel free to ask about any stuff you see in my MD.  I should be able to track most of it down again.

RickD: Glad you're interested.  I've posted a link to the appropriate area below.  Somewhere in there, the feature in question is visible. 

Sam (samerton) Thanks, I've been looking forward to this one as well, especially in light of some recent mods.

metarvo: It is always a bit disconcerting to start over again but it's always nice to see a fresh tile.  I've tracked down some of the bridges in question which actually highlighted a more severe issue with my plugins folder.  Thanks for your help!

io_bg: Thanks, there are indeed street plugins.  I'll revise that today.

Alafel: Glad you've enjoyed your visit so much!  I'd love to visit some parts of Adara as well.

noahclem: Those are exactly what I was looking for.  As it turns out, I had them already along with a flawed bridge file from simptropolis that was stopping the new bridges from showing up.  Thanks for pointing out the specifics, they really helped me track down the source of the problem. 

bat: Thanks!

Skimbo: Thanks very much!

Update 161
Lehman Valley – Bridge Headaches

Ok so for that real world feature, it would have been more fair to say it's near Squamish, BC.  I completely forgot how close it is.  It's actually visible here on google maps.  Another short update today.  I discovered that I was actually having serious issues with the custom bridges thanks to a plugin from Simtropolis I downloaded.  The three bridges from Fukuda on Simtropolis have an outdated controller included and makes new bridges fail to function.  The details can be found here in this thread.  Of course, diagnosing this was an exercise in frustration so I lost out on most of my gaming time.  Fortunately, the basic transport network is done. 

161-1: First up the main highway and the gravel road on the west side of Lehman creek finally reconnect up here.  The railway travels up a deep cut.

161-2: Over through this valley, a small stub of road is visible.  This actually is the continuation of the winding gravel road from the Ellison Flats tile. 

161-3: So once the details are in place, here is the gravel access road. 

161-4: There were several good suggestions about these bridges.  As I noted above, the issue was with a bridge plugin I shouldn't have downloaded.  All is fixed now.

161-5: So as a result, here are the two final bridge.  We have a proper street bridge and a STR bridge as well.  The street bridge had to be elevated so it would look good.  For whatever reason it's the only one appearing in my menu despite installing some others.  A problem for another day. 

161-6: Last but not least, here is the tile composite with the transport networks in place.  There is one last section of road and rail I haven't dealt with yet but I'll handle that when I start working on cross border issues from Ellison Flats and Vavenby. 

Sadly, that's a wrap for today.  But next time I get to start establish what will actually be on this tile. 

noahclem

Looking great! I love those winding country roads and especially that STR!  &apls  I've actually had the exact same problem as you with the fukuda bridges on Simtrop--transit files can really be a pain! Glad you found my suggestion useful, the new bridges look great!