• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Adara - Update 184 - March 26, 2012

Started by Battlecat, February 10, 2009, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mave94

Fantastic update!
I know that Tage has made some of those images, so he could help you.
I'm sure the sims would be happy with that golf court :D
Expanding the existing suburbs is a good idea to my opinion, surprise us!

-Matthijs

canyonjumper

Great update Battlecat! I haven't been on a golf course either, but what you've got looks close to one of the courses I drive by regularly. I'm looking forward to what you've got in store for the last few sections!

Your friend,
                             Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

nedalezz

I really think the golf course looks great, and you make it match the surroundings so well.

It looks very realistic in the region shot!

RickD

I like how the swamp area and the small dam turned out.  :thumbsup:
I can't say much about the realism aspect of the golf course. However, from a purely visual standpoint, I am not sure if I like the location of it. To me it looks too constrained between the highway and the hill.  &mmm
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

That Golf course looks great, maybe a little small, but it doesn't really matter after all !  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Battlecat

MrMAvE94: Thanks very much! I grant your suggestion for the empty area the title of inspiration for what I did today.  :)

Jordan (canyonjumper): Thanks!  Always good to know it looks approximately right!

nedalezz: Thanks very much, glad to hear it. 

Raphael (RickD): Thanks for your thoughts!  Actually that's exactly the feel I'm shooting for.  I'm kind of imagining that the golf course lost some land to the highway development and had to add the land with the pedestrian underpass at a later date.  Hopefully it'll look a bit better once I add the next tile!

Arthur (art128): Thanks!  It's a bit on the small size, but it'll look much bigger once I develop the next tile.  I plan to carry it across the border which should make a difference. 

Update 156
Dunster Bend – Getting Close to Completion

No crashes to ruin my game time this weekend, just aching muscles from helping my dad install a new drainage line in their back yard on the weekend.  Lots of fun but very tiring.  Dunster Bend is getting close to completion though; one more update will probably do the trick! 

156-1: This is the area I'll be focusing on today.

156-2: I've concluded that this area is an undeveloped suburb of Dunster Bend.  A line of large lot exurb style residential lines the road.  Just waiting for the opportunity and demand to subdivide.

156-3: That process is just getting started.  The larger blocks here will be high wealth residential. 

156-4: At least that was the plan.  It took me a minute to realize that I hadn't extended the water system out here yet which is why the wrong buildings developed.

156-5: After the addition of some more tress, a nice mix of high wealth residential grew up here.  I'm not going to fret about the buildings that didn't develop; they still fit the character of the area nicely. 

156-6: This area needed a bit of encouragement as well.

156-7: These modified tree lots I've created are perfect for triggering the growth of mansions. 

156-8: The rest of this area just got some trees to fill in the edges and some homes.

156-9: The last bit of work my arms could handle today was the completion of the details along the side of the highway.  I'm just mostly ignoring the sidewalk that grows at the edge of the roundabout. 

156-10: The reason this update is so short is because I filled in the remaining forest up in the mountains as well. That's all my arm could handle today.  All that remains is the small block of land and associated detailing along the river.  Here's the latest composite for you to peruse. 

That's a wrap.  Next time the completion, assuming my wrist can handle it.

samerton

I really like your method of adding houses... add zones and then surround them with trees. It makes them incredibly realistic, something I certainly can't do. As always, a great update!  &apls

kwakelaar

Also not a golfer, so I can't really tell if this is like a golf course should be or not. In my eyes it looks good.

noahclem

Great work again! That swamp looks particularly good at close zoom. The golf course seems really nice to me and I do golf--but the scale is off by quite a bit. Average hole length for a par 4 (average) would be 250-300 meters, approaching 20 tiles, with the longest par 5 holes 500m/33 tiles or more. Check out skimbo's set on the STEX if you're considering revisiting the course: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/25700-skimbo-s-sc4-golf-pack/

As always, looking forward to the next update!  :thumbsup:

mave94

It's short but good!
I noticed on pic 9 some dirty fields, don't know what caused it, but maybe you can replace it with plopable fields?
Making lots with trees and placing it for getting demand is a good idea :)
You could also place some flora between the highway segments and making good things better!
And about the composite images; there is also a tutorial on ST, but unfortunately I don't know where exactly.
I'm looking forward to the completion of this tile :thumbsup:

-Matthijs

scott1964

canyonjumper

Great update Battlecat! You reminded me I haven't posted in Cascadia in a long time :P Looking forward to next week's update!

Your friend,
                              Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

TrebuTa

bat

Fantastic work on that road!
It looks really nice. :thumbsup:

Battlecat

Sam (samerton): Thanks, glad you like it! 

Gjermund (kwakelaar): Thanks very much!

noahclem: That's exactly what was bothering me, the courses are far smaller than reality!  I downloaded those ones and another set since I couldn't get all the dependencies from ST because of the upgrades.  I'll plan on using these ones in the future.  Thanks very much for pointing out the flaw! 

Matthijs (MrMAvE94): Good spotting, those fields aren't actually distressed.  I happened to catch the shot of those bean fields in transition from summer to fall textures. 

scott1964: Thanks!

Jordan (canyonjumper): Thanks for your kind words, hope to see more from Cascadia soon. 

TebuTa: Thanks, I will do so!

bat: Thanks very much!

Update 157
Dunster Bend – Return to Golf

Not a lot of time this weekend sadly, so it'll be at least one more week until I finish this tile.  Today I'm revisiting the golf course briefly thanks to a few suggestions from noahclem!  Thanks very much!

157-1: Let's start with a quick overview of the course as it looks now.  The big problem here is the length of the holes.  They aren't scaled properly for real world golf courses.  I believe these ones are direct recreations of the holes from the official game scaled golf course which are much smaller than reality.

157-2: But this is Adara and things take up a real amount of space.  So if at first we don't succeed, demolish it all and try again! 

157-3: As pointed out by noahclem, Skimbo has a superb golf course set available.  Unfortunately, all the available lots don't fit quite right with the layout of the roads and residential here.  So I also downloaded the ArtGolf Course set by doctorgonzo from Simtropolis.  This is another realistically scaled golf course but it provides a few additional pieces that fit the space properly.  I'll make a course with Skimbo's set elsewhere in the distant future.  As it is, I still had to reroute the road to fit the new lots better.

157-4: Here's a closer look at the lots.  Some of them are still on the small side, but overall, it's an improvement.  The remainder of the course on the neighboring tile will work better.  There are 8 holes on this side of the border, which will leave 10 more on the neighbouring tile.  This will be a full sized, 18 hole course when it is done.   

157-5: Here's the area with trees and trails in place.  It's a dramatic improvement in my eyes. 

Of course, I forgot to take the image for the composite, I'll update that next time.  Also, it'll be two weeks until the next update; I'm away at a convention in Seattle this coming weekend so I guarantee I won't have any time to game for a while. 

samerton

The golf course is looking a lot more to scale! Great!  &apls

noahclem

The new golf course looks awesome! Glad you found my suggestion useful  :)   Have fun in Seattle and I look forward to seeing what's next!

Reikhardt

Thats a great improvement! Great job and a bonus biscuit for Noah  :thumbsup:

RickD

It looks much more realistic now. Good job.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

bat

Nice images of the golf course!
Great work on it. :thumbsup: