• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Adara - Update 184 - March 26, 2012

Started by Battlecat, February 10, 2009, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott1964

Looks very nice. I like the gravel trails, but when I try to use them, mine come out not very good. They do not even show up.  &ops I like the way you have laid out your area.  :)

ShultzCity

Great update! ove what you have done, looks great now. My next suggestion - It looks so good, there needs to be more windmills continuing the line of the current ones to the east. What do you think?
I'd love it if you could check out my photography! Click on of the links below:
http://www.jacobshultz.com.au
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jshultzphotography/

Cyclone1001

Very nice, I like it. (Insert picture of famous person here)

ecoba

Looking great my friend.

The farm blocs are ever expanding and beautiful as always. Your wonderful detailing around the edges of the farm gives you such a great level of depth it's astounding. The larch trees that have been added to the forest also give a very nice effect, I use these in some of my mountainous cities (yes I have some...) and I love them.

The wind farm is also a new and unique touch that livens up the area. We don't have many wind turbines near where I live, and I tend to use geothermal plants to power most of my cities, considering that it's a clean way of providing electricity and the plants look really nice, not like gross dirty industry.

Ethan  :)

canyonjumper

Very nice BC! The transition to the RRP gravel paths works well, better than the dirt ones. The farm detailing is also impeccable, so great job!

Your friend,
                                    Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

nedalezz

I dont think there is anyone better at developing farmland than you, Battlecat. You are a complete master.

RickD

The gravel road looks much better. The detailing with the ploppable plants is excellent.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Battlecat

scott1964: Thanks!  Sorry to hear you're having trouble with them.  The issue you're could be running into with the gravel trails is the transparent texture problem.  It can be corrected by switching to the zoning data view and back again.

Jacob (ShultzCity): Thanks, glad you like it.  I'll have to see how much space there is, but it's worth a look!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Cyclone1001: Thanks very much! 

Ethan (ecoba): Glad you like it!  I certainly enjoy putting in all those details.  We don't have a lot of wind farms in BC, primarily because hydro electric is so economical.  There are a couple of them getting set up in my area recently. 

Jordan (canyonjumper): Thanks very much for your kind words!

nedalezz: Thanks very much for such high praise!  I really appreciate it!

Raphael (RickD): Thanks, glad you like the new trails!

Update 114
Greenwood – Townsite

Slowly working away here!  Today I'm going to get the small urban core for Greenwood in place. 

114-1: Here's an overview of the zoning before I get started.  This town has a small elementary school and a fire hall.  All the lots are 2x3 large lots. 

114-2: A nice variety of homes developed, including a small set of medium wealth homes.  For commercial developments, there's just a small selection of low wealth shops. 

114-3: This massive farm lot developed in the perfect place as far as I'm concerned.  Makes for a pretty nice urban-rural interface. 

114-4: Instead of a formal baseball or sports field, the school here just maintains a mowed field that can be used for a wide variety of sports. 

114-5: Another farm tucked up against the edge of town here.  This one is very small and just keeps a few horses. 

114-6: Over at the edge of town, this tulip farm needs a touch of attention. 

114-7: It always looks so much nicer with proper rows instead of random colors. 

114-8: This farm lot just refused to grow, so using Steamrobin's rural set, I just built a little farm. 

114-9: The gravel trail gets the full detail treatment.  This one winds up to the one I worked on in the last update. 

114-10: Here's another view of the area as it looks now that it's detailed. 

114-11: And one more look at the section winding through a small patch of forest. 

114-12: I'll wrap things up with an overview of the area with all the farms in place.  I'll finish up the details next time!

That's all for today!  See you later!

Cyclone1001

ShultzCity

I'd love it if you could check out my photography! Click on of the links below:
http://www.jacobshultz.com.au
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jshultzphotography/

canyonjumper

Looking great BC! Are you planning to incorporate the new NAM stuff into Adara?

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

ecoba

The townsite of Greenwood looks really good. The high wealth of this area is something I really like, the homes the grew up here also look really good. I certainly like the school and the commercial block. The whole overview looks simply gorgeous as well.

I really like that massive farm lot, is it available anywhere, or is it custom. (I'm assuming that it is a CAM farm as well due to the size.) I also like the farm that you built with Steamrobin's set.

Ethan  :)

Nanami

threestooges

Very nice progress these past few updates. I can already see another tulip farm that's going to get a re-org soon though. That's really a great detail to add in too. The random lots aren't bad, but it's true, they do look more realistic with some sense of organization to them. One thing that I've always admired about your streetscapes are the way you've blended those poles into the right of way and the grassy border that's created along stretches of road like in 114-5. That picture right there exemplifies the look of rural Adara. Looking forward to see the next bits of progress.
-Matt

Battlecat

Cyclone1001: Thanks very much!

Jacob (ShultzCity): Thanks!  Hope you enjoy the expanded wind farm that you suggested the other day! 

Jordan (canyonjumper): Absolutely!  I've already got the NWM, along with the updated RHW and core NAM.  I've barely had time to scratch the surface on the new styles, but I'm hoping to add something significant from the new mods soon.  Certainly, there is some incentive to go back and examine some of my past highway networks.  Thanks for stopping by!

Ethan (ecoba): Glad you like how it turned out.  I was shooting for a small town feel which I think I've managed to capture quite nicely.   That massive farm lot is actually part of this of farms here on the LEX.  It's actually picture as one of the samples! Thanks for stopping by!

976: Thanks!

Matt (threestooges): Glad you like the reorganized tulip farms.  It was actually suggested quite a while back by FrankU and I quite like how it's changed the feel of the region.  The other farm you're looking at is actually a flower farm of a different style.  I haven't decided if I'm going to put together individual color lots together for those ones yet or not.  I always enjoy putting those power right of ways in the map.  Thanks as always for stopping by! 

Update 115
Greenwood – Rolling Along

It was a fairly productive weekend, but these shot play sessions are still a bit of a pain.  Greenwood is starting to come together though. 

115-1: First off, I've gotten my hands on the new version of the NAM and RHW as well as Network Widening Mod.  I don't have plans to do much with them in the near future, but they'll be very nice to have once I get going on future tiles.  One nice thing is the opportunity to fix this little problem. 

115-2: The new S curve for the highway makes this transition a bit less harsh. 

115-3: The bulk of my work today will consist of getting more farms detailed.  These two are first on the list.

115-4: As usual, this farm's texture has been removed in preparation for detailing.  This farm wound up oriented perfectly for detailing. 

115-5: Farmers sometimes build the strangest roads!

115-6: The rest of the farm will be an odd mix of fences.  I was feeling just a bit whimsical today.

115-7: Everything but the livestock is in place now.  Honestly, I completely forgot to add them in!  Next up will be the other side of the road.

115-8: In this case, I changed the field type so I could use some existing lot designs.  I know it's not realistic for the fields to run right up to the fences, but I just haven't had time to finish my new textures.  :-(

115-9: Fortunately, this will do the trick for the moment. 

115-10: Next up are the last few farms near the map border. 

115-11: The new fields will eventually lead into the cross border farms that extend across from the tile to the east.

115-12: Another gravel track will also cross the border in this area.

115-13: Here's the gravel track, now with full detailing.  I used rye grass to blur the edge of the one field.

115-14: This set of farms are now fully detailed. 

115-15: Last thing on the list were the power poles between the highway and railway. 

115-16: I'm not quite done yet for today.  I've decided to expand the wind farm just a bit further. 

115-17: Here I'm using the road to plot out the approximate route of the gravel path and to smooth the terrain just a bit.

115-18: That being done, here is the gravel road and the new windmills.

115-19: After getting the full set of details in place, here's the expanded wind farm. 

115-20: Here's an overview of all the work from the last 3 or 4 updates.  Next time I'm going to finish up this tile to the corner.  Time permitting, I'll see about getting started on the stream details. 

And that's a wrap for today!  Thanks for stopping in! 

Cyclone1001

Even if you are restricted to 1 update per week, it's more than most people can do. And it will look better, too. Good work.

Tomas Neto

Wow, another great update!!! Fantastic!!!

art128

A very very detailed update, as usual my friend ! The new farm lands are looking really good, and I like the wind power plants.

Can't wait to see the streams ! ( and the next update !  ;D )

-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

threestooges

Nicely done. Your detailing work keeps giving me ideas. One thing I noticed though, in 115-14, that little stub of road leading to the farm seems like it could be repleaced by one of Darmok's TE'd dirt paths. I'm curious if there was a specific reason behind the road stub, or if it's one of those details that's on the list. Looking forward to where things will develop from here.
-Matt

adroman

Wow, very impressive stuff!

Those windmill's are great, I see that Adara's going green  :D

I always enjoy looking over your Agricultural areas, it's like looking on Google Earth!  :thumbsup:

Adrian.
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?