• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Precision Zoning plus Zoning Hot Keys

Started by Shiftred, November 29, 2008, 11:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiftred

Precision Zoning plus Zoning Hot Keys Tutorial

Objectives:

• Learn all hot keys associated with zoning.
  • Control the direction of your zoning.
  • Control the size of your zoning.
  • Control how zoning effects your terraforming.

Hot Keys I used for this tutorial

• Q = low density residential
  • W = medium density residential
  • E = high density residential
  • A = low density commercial
  • S = medium density commercial
  • D = high density commercial
  • Z = agricultural
  • X = medium density industrial
  • C = heavy density industrial

1. Letters and corresponding zones:

Controlling the direction of your zones
When you normally place zones the zone direction, indicated by the chevron (arrow), is determined by the presence of the adjacent networks. I find this is no problem most of the time. However, while working adjacent to two networks in an intersection or with Elevated Rail over Road/Street pieces I sometimes need to force my zones a different direction. This can be done by utilizing two different keys: alt key and/or control key.  The image below shows the manner a normally placed 1X2 zone will be drawn with long side facing the network.  I might not want homes facing that road or I'm hoping a nice commercial 1X2 W2W will grow. To change the network the zone faces hold the ALT key when placing your zone. The zone changed from a 2X1 to a 1X2:

Additionally, holding the ALT key while zoning on a diagnol network will ensure the lot will face the roadway instead of the neighboring lot. There are not many 2X1 lots that I like or look nice on a diagnol so I always hold the ALT key while in this situation.  The image below shows ATL key zoning 1x2 and 1x3 lots above the street and the result of zoning without ALT key below the street:

When placing zones along the EL over Road/Street pieces the zone won't normally face the piece.  To force the zone to face the double network you must hold the CONTROL key while zoning.  Below the left zone was placed without holding CONTROL, while the zone on the right was drawn holding CONTROL.

An ALT + CONTROL combo is necessary to have a your zone facing the elevated double network with a side street or road adjacent. In the scene below the top left zone was drawn without either key pressed.  The result would be the same with the CONTROL key pressed.  The top right zone was drawn while holding ALT. The bottom left zone was created by holding both ALT and CONTROL while drawing the zone.

Controlling the size of you zone

The CONTROL key can also be used to control the size of your zone and keep it undivided.  Below I made various lengths of residential zones.  Attempting to draw a 1x4 or greater zone in most instances results in a street being drawn at the other end and the zone is divided.  By holding the CONTROL key during zoning you can make any length or width zone you like.  Make sure you have something that will grow in the bigger and longer zones you create.

Additionally when drawing larger zones while holding the CONTROL key the game is sometimes coaxed into growing a larger lot sooner then for example, waiting for four 1X4 zones to merge into a 4X4 lot.  Industrial zones do not require direction, yet by holding CONTROL you can coax the game into growing larger lots when the requirements have already been passed. In the instance below more often then not a large 4X4 industry will develop below the street then above it with all other conditions the same and requirements for the 4X4 have been achieved.

For a very large agricultural zone ( > 18 X 18) hold the SHIFT key to avoid having streets in your farm.

Without SHIFT:

Holding SHIFT:

Holding the SHIFT key will remove streets in other instances as well, but I can't recall a time that this is useful.  AT the top, SHIFT was pressed during zoning, below was without SHIFT:

The next four images demonstrate CONTROL and ALT key manipulation to direct and size zones:

No keys pressed when drawn:

ALT key only:

CONTROL key only:

CONTROL and ALT key:

Controlling and maintaining terraforming during zoning

The CONTROL key has another very useful effect if held during zoning.  Holding CONTROL while zoning will keep the terrain below from changing.  I dislike the manner in which the game will lower or raise the terrain during normal zoning.  This is very noticeable next to nicely terraformed ledges and banks. By locking the terrain shape in with the CONTROL key during zoning a lot of re-terraforming can be avoided.

To demonstrate I have started with a small pyramid-shaped hill:

Zone without holding CONTROL and the original terraforming levels out:

But by holding the CONTROL key while drawing the zone the pyramid stayed:

In a more practical application I have created a nice slope falling away from a raised roadway.

Below I have drawn two zones, both while holding the CONTROL key.  My nice slopes remain.  I could have plopped some walls or grass tiles in an attempt to preserve the slope, yet by holding control I saved the Simoleons, kept the unimproved look, could have zoned the entire slope at once, and didn't effect the zones or wealth levels with a wall or grass lot.  That doesn't always work as planned anyway.

On the right side of the road is the ugly result of self-leveling:

Enjoy,

Dave

Edit 12/4/8: Added diagnol portion

papab2000

Nice job on this tutorial Dave  &apls I learned a couple of new tricks.  :thumbsup:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

RippleJet

Excellent tutorial and very well presented, Dave! &apls
This is a must read for anyone new to SimCity 4. :thumbsup:

TheTeaCat

Clear well presented tutorial. Well done. &apls &apls

A cuppa for you ;D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

sim-al2

Wonderful tutorial... I knew most of these already,(except the one about zoning on slopes, very useful!) but new players will find this very useful! :thumbsup:

You deserve two cups of tea!
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

JoeST

Hey Dave, this is a fantastic tutorial, I never new most of this stuff  $%Grinno$%

Can I please copy it to the wiki?

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Vandy

Hello, Dave.

(LORD, how I've wanted to always say that.  NOTE:  If you're too young to remember, look it up...   ;)  )

I am quite impressed with your tutorial.  This will be an extemely useful resource for SC4 players of all levels.  Thank you for writing and sharing it.

Regards,

Gary (Vandy)

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980

toxicpiano

Quote from: Vandy on December 01, 2008, 04:20:02 AM
Hello, Dave.

(LORD, how I've wanted to always say that.  NOTE:  If you're too young to remember, look it up...   ;)  )

I am quite impressed with your tutorial.  This will be an extemely useful resource for SC4 players of all levels.  Thank you for writing and sharing it.

Regards,

Gary (Vandy)
I can't let you do that Dave  :D
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Splime

Wow, that's a really useful tutorial. I learned a few things from that!

Though, involving SHIFT, I've found it very useful in purposes other than zoning farms. I always draw out my roads and streets before zoning, and sometimes, the game seems to think I need extra streets, when I don't. (This most commonly occurs when working with roundabouts and diagonal streets.)

Vandy

Hello, Dave (and anyone else who is interested).

You've really made a very useful tutorial and I appreciate your taking the time to write it up and post it.

I've taken the liberty of creating a PDF document of the tutorial and will make it available to anyone who would like it.  As it is too large to attach to this message (it is 1.34MB in size), please PM me and I shall send it to you.

Hopefully, it will be useful to folks as well.

Regards,

Gary (Vandy)

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980

nerdly_dood

I already knew most of the information in this tutorial but I didn't know that holding CTRL would keep the terrain from being ruined - thanks!

(I also tend to draw out my streets before zoning - i tend to prefer 6-tile-wide blocks while the game prefers them to be 4 tiles wide)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Shiftred

Gary: I didn't recall the reference. I am 27, yet had no clue :-[  Also thanks for creating the PDF.
JoeST: Thanks for showing the strip.

Thanks for everyones support and graditudes. My tutorial can be used/distributed (with proper credit ;)) in any fashion that benefits the SC4 community: wiki, etc.  I created this tutorial because I have been playing for the last several years almost daily and just discovered some of the hot key abilities recently.  I thought the information would be helpful.

I have now included a section on the alt key's usefulness with diagnols.

divadarya