• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4Config - first release candidate finished

Started by GoaSkin, November 09, 2007, 02:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

Quote from: GoaSkin on November 22, 2007, 12:20:08 PM
Macintosh version is out now

... I think I'll wait for the windows version.... I dont have the money to buy a Mac atm  $%Grinno$%  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

GoaSkin

The windows version has been released one week ago:

Here you find everything.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=198881

By the way the spanish version is incomplete. ¿Puedes avanzar el archivo sc4config_es.ts de la carpeta lang en el archivo CVS del proyecto (¡vea la página!) por favor?
download SC4Config public BETA (RC1)

jeronij

It seems I missed something ::)  :D :D

I´'ll try to make the final translation asap. Not sure if this weekend....  &mmm
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

sithlrd98

I was wondering , for those of us who do not know the default amounts set by maxis , or the NAM team , or the different Tunnel mods , is there going to be any type of info on how to use this tool without really screwing the game up? I grabbed a copy and , well , I'm lost! I'm sure that this tool was probably intended for modders , however I really would like to "tweak" a little. I'm in total awe of you coders,(including Wouanagaine)as you create some very useful tools!

GoaSkin

You may set the default values for everything and then only modify where you are sure to know what to do. Some settings are supported by the game but not explored well.

Pheonix Rising

I wish I would have known about this thread before I posted in the old one... Anyway, the tooltips are giving me trouble. The display for less than a second and I cannot read any information on them. I like how far this tool has come along since it was first started. Great work so far. I shall see if I can break it though if or when I have time  ;)

GoaSkin

please try to run the program with a parameter:

C:\PATH_TO\SC4CONFIG\>sc4config -style cleanlooks

The program may appear in a different skin. Please say if the tooltips are appearing then. If so, it is a problem with the used stylesheet.

xxdita

Quote from: jplumbley on November 16, 2007, 12:36:06 PM
After a quick look at this tool Goaskin..  I worry about the damage some users could do to their simulators by using improper values. 

Please I ask you to take this into consideration because it can really, really cause issues with the overall simulation of the game.

After playing with SC4config for a bit this weekend, I think I have to agree with JPlumbley. Although this is a wonderful tool for tweaking values, I would seriously not recommend it for anyone that doesn't know what they're doing.
Why? Well, of course the first thing I did was raise all of the transit speeds and capacities to the absolute maximum. Worked beautifully to get rid of traffic. Everyone walked everywhere. But, they all found better paying jobs 3 city tiles over, so the number of commuters to SimNation skyrocketed. It was fun. And I exited without saving, so no damage done.
Now that I've learned my lesson, I may do some more experimenting later on, but only some moderate tweaking, especially of mass transit.
I have to admit that I did enjoy having a completely green Traffic Congestion map for the first time in decades in my CAMtropolis with a population of 4.6Million.

GoaSkin

The version RC1 has a bug in the demand simulator output that forces unexhausible demand for anything - even of the taxes are 20% because the program exports wrong values.

The bug has been fixed but will not be released until friday because there are a few other changes to apply. The weather simulation has been removed and support for the radius mod has been added.

To use the program, everyone should leave all the values alone where he does not know what to do.

By the way there are no perfect settings for pathfinding. The traffic simulation depends on CPU speed, the RAM and the used version of Sim City (and of course the installed buildings that slow down the performance). There are no combinations of settings that fit all computers. The behavior of such mods depend on the used computes and may be optimized to the computers of the creator.

For me, the better/perfect pathfinding plugins have no effect except that everyone uses large routes to reach short distances.

The right settings for better pathfinding are really individual.

Ennedi

The player can have some plugins using the same exemplars as sc4config plugin, so I think it should be placed at the end of the Plugins folder (by adding "zzz"). Am I right or not?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

xxdita

I tried that and it didn't seem to work that way in the main plugins folder, but throwing it in the Z_Cam folder took care of everything.

GoaSkin

You need to remove the main CAM file and set the checkbox Colossus Addon MOD activated. That emulates it.

xxdita

Considering all of the XTool modified Maxis RCI lots, and other necessary modifications, removing the main CAM file doesn't sound like such a good idea. Besides, I've tweaked my main CAM file as well.
I think that maybe the program puts values into the dat that aren't user controlled? For some reason my crime level went through the roof as I used it, even though I'm using RaphaelNinja's Crime Doesn't Pay ordinance. So, what I've done is opened the sc4config.dat in Ilive Reader, and deleted all of the properties that don't necessarily pertain to my playing style, and that I didn't set, then used that dat as my plugin.
This allows me to test only a specific set of variables and tweaks at a time, instead of having to deal with everything all at once. Then I write down values that actually work for me, and move on to the next thing I want to tweak.
GoaSkin, perhaps in your next beta release you could split up the dats, so that each page of tweaks is saved in its own dat? Ideally, only the values that I change would be included in any dat, giving me optimum control of the mod I'm creating.
And I don't think I ever actually thanked you for this program, and your hard work put into it. Great job with this, thank you.

GoaSkin

I think I will add a config dialog to a future version with the possibility to deactivate some destination exemplars.
If the CAM is installed and loaded after the sc4config DAT, the demand settings of sc4config will be ignored but anything else works. That may be a possibility to use the CAM settings as they are. Anyhow, the original demand settings with checked checkbox will export the same exemplar settings.

For RC2 it will be possible to choose the destination export folder manually. The weather settings have been removed and some utility settings added.

Nique

I have 3 problems.

- All the vehicles are acting weird, they fade in.. drive 10 meters and fade out.
- There are way to much vehicles on strange, silent places.. but on the places you expect them (traffic says 196 cars and 100 busses) there is no car @ all
- On the RHW network, cars are driving (when you can see them) very very slow. (street speed).

I have put back all the settings to normal saved it and exported it, but the problem is still there :(
Proudly developer of

SimNation

GoaSkin

This tool seems to be just what I was hoping would come out. But I have a big question. Is there anyway in a later version you could make it so that it could load up the settings of other simulators(ex: NAM Traffic Simulator) that way if there was something you wanted to change in it you could?

I ask because I like the NAM Traffic Simulator but I believe the 43tile sim walking distance is too far and would like to change it to 23 tile walking distance instead. Since I believe from what I read A actually allows sims to travel further to work.Which is how I design my areas with that in mind.

Thanks
SimNation

xxdita

You can already do that with iLive's Reader. Just be sure to back up the original file before you start tweaking it for your own needs, just in case.

SimNation

Didnt know you could do that without messing it up with iLive's Reader.. Thanks for telling me xxdita. Would still be good to be able to load settins from other mods and such and then mix and match them or change them to ur liking with this tool though :P

xxdita

When modding anything, it's important to have a backup copy, stored safely outside of your Plugins, just so that you can keep track of the changes you've made, and then if it doesn't work out quite as you expected, you can start from square one again.
When tweaking the NAM especially, I'd suggest small steps, only tweaking one value at a time, and testing each step thoroughly in-game, on a fairly developed city. Take note of any effects, but don't save the game unless you've found your perfect plugin, that you think you'll stick with for the duration of the city.
As in real life, each player and each city may have different transit needs. The great thing about the new NAM traffic simulators is that there are multiple options available, each with recommendations for specific city sizes, to suit various city and playing styles.

DungMunkey

I'm encountering an issue when using SC4Config with vanilla SC4 Deluxe. Whenever I tweak something, my traffic volume decreases by 50-75%. Often residential buildings will display 0 commuters. Despite this, buildings remain occupied and the occupants happy. I tried using SC4Config with all the Maxis defaults (no tweaks), and this issue still occurs. If I had to guess, I would say the SC4Config pathfinding is the problem, but I don't think I can turn it off (or there is no option to turn it off). Anyone else getting the same thing? Of course, if you use the CAM, your density is probably so large to not really notice that you're missing traffic...

While I'm here, I thought I'd also ask: Why not allow enabling/disabling of some of the features? For example, if I'm going to use the Maxis defaults for everything except "transit preference (%)", why put all those other features in the .dat?

Otherwise, the tool looks great!  :thumbsup: Hopefully you can find my missing traffic volume, I'd really like to start experimenting with traffic models.