• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cam 2.10 installer - datpacker does not run on windows 10

Started by Toblakai, April 24, 2018, 04:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toblakai

Hi,

I have played the game a lot till 2012, then stopped. I have used cam 1.0 and still have a plugin folder save from back then. Now i have the steam version, making it the 3rd simcity 4 copy I have bought, and tried to reinstall this updated version of CAM. I used to love this mod, and I would like to play with it again, however, the datpacker needed for the install, does not run, therefore the install fails.

Any help or advice on how to solve this is appreciated.

Toblakai.

mgb204

There are some circumstances where the installer can't run DATPacker, not unique to Windows 10 either. I've posted a workaround using 7zip here, but you must manually extract files/install the mod from the downloaded .exe and the DatPack the necessary update manually too. If the installer won't do it automatically, I'm sorry but I know of no other solution (issue noted here).

Toblakai

Thanks for the quick reply. I had actually come across this thread or similar in a search, but somehow lost it in the many tabs in my browser. I have used the jdatpacker to do the merging, and i will see if it has worked. I understand that the merged simcity_1.dat needs to be in the plugin folder, and the original can remain in the steam simcity4 folder.

Cheers,

Toblakai

mgb204

Quote from: Toblakai on April 25, 2018, 12:13:13 AM
I understand that the merged simcity_1.dat needs to be in the plugin folder, and the original can remain in the steam simcity4 folder.

Not quite, although in almost all situations you'd be correct, having an override is best, uniquely for such changes to work, you must overwrite SimCity_1.dat with the modified version for this alteration to work. There is no real visual clue in-game, so you just need to be careful to follow this process:

• Move the original SimCity_1.dat file to a new folder and DATPack it with the CAM modifications.
  • You should now take this SimCity_1.dat file and archive it somewhere in case you need to revert the changes. Note that also the file that is packed together with it is temporary and should be removed.
  • You should now be left with the combined "packed" file, make sure the file name is SimCity_1.dat, renaming it manually if necessary. Place this updated version back where you found the original.

In summary, you should only keep the modified version in the installation directory. None of these files should remain in your Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins folder. But of course the actual CAM mod itself does need to be kept.