• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simcoug

Awesome work eggman! I can't wait to see what goodies are in store for the RRW in NAM 36.  I'm still getting used to all the possibilities that the drag-able FAR has opened up in NAM 35. 

Speaking of elevated railways... I remember back in the day that Swordmaster mentioned something about possible L1 RRW pieces.  For example, I would love to be able to dip a road down 7.5m and have it run under a railroad... Is something like that still being planned for a future RRW expansion? 

dyoungyn

I deeply agree that without imaginative creations from the entire NAM team, SC4 would not be anywhere close than what it is today.  Thank so much for sharing and forever great-full  for keeping the game alive and strong.

The fact that 7.5 Elevated Rail is beyond what was thought and you eggman brought this to reality is by fare exceeding any expectations from anyone. 

Gugu3

Kitsune

Quote from: Simcoug on June 12, 2017, 07:26:54 AM
Awesome work eggman! I can't wait to see what goodies are in store for the RRW in NAM 36.  I'm still getting used to all the possibilities that the drag-able FAR has opened up in NAM 35. 

Speaking of elevated railways... I remember back in the day that Swordmaster mentioned something about possible L1 RRW pieces.  For example, I would love to be able to dip a road down 7.5m and have it run under a railroad... Is something like that still being planned for a future RRW expansion?

Isn't that what FLUPS are for ? Alternatively I've set my city to dip the road 3.5m and have the railroad on a 3.5m embankment. Don't mind setting up my cities with future NAM expansion in mind. In Toronto we have some old underpasses with only 3.5m clearance.
~ NAM Team Member

druidlove

Quote from: Kitsune on June 12, 2017, 10:18:06 AM
Quote from: Simcoug on June 12, 2017, 07:26:54 AM

Isn't that what FLUPS are for ? Alternatively I've set my city to dip the road 3.5m and have the railroad on a 3.5m embankment. Don't mind setting up my cities with future NAM expansion in mind. In Toronto we have some old underpasses with only 3.5m clearance.
In my experience, FLUP is less tolerant of changes. It would take at least three pieces (two for the underpass, and one for the flup connection). I'd rather take the two slope pieces for the RRW and drag a road under it.

I do like the direction this is going. The slope is a good piece. I'm also looking forward to an on-slope transition similar to the L1 on-slope pieces so I can dip the road myself. Then there is the problem of the NAM multi-level station (0m/15m) that I wish could be lowered to 0/7.5 for better options.

tomvsotis

Hey, is there documentation of how to draw RRW multi-radius curves anywhere? I can't find anything for the life of me — there's the videos on YouTube that kinda touch on it, but nothing written?

eggman121

Quote from: tomvsotis on August 14, 2017, 01:13:35 PM
Hey, is there documentation of how to draw RRW multi-radius curves anywhere? I can't find anything for the life of me — there's the videos on YouTube that kinda touch on it, but nothing written?

Hi

There is a PDF titled (Real Railway Flex Track user manual)

That document will contain most the patterns for turnouts and curves for the RRW.

It is found in the NAM Auxiliary folder in the SC4 Documents Folder.

Hope that helps.

-eggman121

tomvsotis

Damn, many thanks for both the quick response and the information. Much appreciated!

Mikey Knox

Is it possible to make STR connect to neighbouring Citys?

eggman121

Quote from: Mikey Knox on September 19, 2017, 04:59:49 PM
Is it possible to make STR connect to neighbouring Citys?

Sure can. The STR is a single tile network so there should not be any problem with that functionality.

-eggman121

Mikey Knox

Ah ok, i wasnt sure because there where DTR Tracks in the other City, not STR.

Thx

mgb204

That will always be the case, it's not possible for such overrides to be automatically carried over. Although once overridden to STR, everything will function (in fact it will work even if you don't).

Mikey Knox

Is Rivit's zRUM for RRW still needed/compatible with NAM36, i noticed his custom Rail Viaduct Styles i installed dont show up anymore for me, and there are Path fixes in the Folders where i dont know what they do now.

Thank you

mgb204

Yes and no. As part of our efforts to get many of the RUM for RRW updates incorporated into the NAM files, a lot of the content is no longer required. However, the full process was not completed and will take until NAM 37 before everything is in synch. My advice, don't alter anything right now, but wait for a new release of RUM for RRW, which is in the works. This shouldn't cause any harm either.

As for the Rail Viaduct Styles, since RUM overrides the NAM, there is no reason why they should have stopped working. But do bear in mind that the textures used for the Draggable RRW are not the same as the old Puzzle Piece variants, so you won't see them on E-RRW pieces. Again, that's something a future RUM update would need to address.

Wiimeiser

I noticed there are no starter pieces for the draggable viaducts. Will these be implemented later?

Also, are there any L1 viaduct stations yet? I don't believe I've seen any...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

mgb204

Why would you need a dedicated starter piece? If you think about it, to get to the point of needing an elevated viaduct, at some point you'd need to use either a ramp or on-slope piece.

Of course there may be situations where users want to use more extensively utilise the E-RRW system too. In such cases you can use the on-slope transition piece, without a slope, in lieu of a regular starter, simply remove that piece once the ERRW is stable. Less menu clutter, more efficient code, less work for the team, yadayadayada.

Currently there are no L1 stations, the team is planning on adding some in future.

Kitsune

Wouldnt a starter piece give use additional stability? ie if you have rhw with a 1 tile median, atleast the L1 is unable to cross. With a starter in the middle, it would be able to cross.

Also, it seems the L1 over diagonal road does not work - it resorts to L0 / ground level.
~ NAM Team Member

eggman121

Quote from: Kitsune on September 25, 2017, 12:45:42 PM
Wouldnt a starter piece give use additional stability? ie if you have rhw with a 1 tile median, atleast the L1 is unable to cross. With a starter in the middle, it would be able to cross.

Also, it seems the L1 over diagonal road does not work - it resorts to L0 / ground level.

The code base is sufficient that only placing a blank rail tile will convert to a ERRW tile at the end of a crossing. No starters needed.

L1 over diag networks except for the RRW is unsupported at this time. Only orthogonal x orthogonal crossings are implemented due to the fact that models have not been made yet for other crossings.

-eggman121

stickinc

Quote from: eggman121 on September 25, 2017, 01:31:41 PM

L1 over diag networks except for the RRW is unsupported at this time. Only orthogonal x orthogonal crossings are implemented due to the fact that models have not been made yet for other crossings.

-eggman121

Well that answers a question I needed answered. I do have one though regarding the difference between the puzzle based and dragged version though. I noticed the draggable version has no barrier in the median of RHW crossings. Is this going to implemented in the future? If not can you tell me where I can find the correct file to edit  :D

mgb204

For now the models used are not intended to be changed.

Old models can be found in the Network Addon Mod folder under rail, the .dat for the Rail viaducts should be pretty obvious. (useful for re-using the old model as a template)

The new models can be found in the y_RealRailway folder in z___NAM, again the .dat file should be obviously named. The ERRW was split into L1 and L2 dats, so you'll need to edit both. The IDs though are identical for both sets, L1 starts 5D6xxxxx and L2 starts 5D7xxxxx.

Can't be more specific as I don't have access to a NAM install right now.