• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

APSMS

@Wiimeiser, normally the solution for making that T-interchange smaller is to extend further towards the camera, that is, have one of the ramps separate further from the main carriageway so that by the time one FLEXFly is cleared the other flyover is already beginning to go over/under the main route.

Alternatively using 45 degree FLEXFly and doing tons of bulldozing work taxing the adjacency code to its fullest, you could have diagonal flyovers which should reduce the footprint as well.

As a third option, it may be that a directional T interchange here would again be even more compact than the other two, though I agree that if the Team can come up with a practical FLEXFly x FLEXFly crossover point/system (i.e. only valid at specific points of both FLEXFly pieces to limit the amount of code lines), then that would indeed be a game changer. The catch, of course, is time, and the NAM Team is stretched really thin right now as it is in the parts most crucial to its operation, mainly relying on the 3 main active devs for all the RUL coding work that is necessary to get things like FLEXFly and QCX working in the first place.

So I wouldn't hold my breath.

If you like, I can see if I can get my SC4 installation going again and see if I can muscle through some of those T-interchange suggestions, but it may be a bit because I haven't started up SC4 since I reinstalled the OS about 8 months ago (and have been dealing with a whole bunch of other issues that are related to that, among other things) so there may be bits that have come unstuck since the reinstall that I've simply forgotten about.

One of which is likely reinstalling the NAM to set the registry flags and make sure I've got the 4gb patch enabled.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mgb204

Quote from: Wiimeiser on April 03, 2018, 10:21:37 PM
Instability? Should be easy to fix, although... Alternatively, a texture bug?

Actually I believe that's a limitation of the textures, since certain intersection textures are reused, there is no perfect solution to ensuring such markings always look right in every setup.

I heard you were removing the L2 RHW-2 from the FLEX Height pieces? Looking at this I honestly don't blame you.

I guess the problem here is the RHW-4 destabilising? Personally I'd rather not see RHW-2 removed from the FlexHeight system, since I use it often in place of road viaducts. Mainly because RHW supports many more crossings, especially with RHW, making diagonal setups for example. However, if you placed the FlexHeight before any of the pieces the viaduct had to cross, you'd have a stable RHW-4 base, avoiding the need for further starters thereafter. Otherwise, just use a couple starters, it's really not a big deal unless you want it to be.

Tarkus

Regarding T-interchanges, I did a video awhile back that may be of use:

https://www.youtube.com/v/TpKgeSWMZIg

As far as the RHW-2-related changes for FLEXHeight, the idea that had been thrown around was to not have the elevated end automatically spit out the elevated RHW-2 (L1 or L2, depending on the transition), as that behavior creates interference with other overrides.  That becomes particularly problematic in cases where users want to cross under the elevated part right after the transition.  The possibility of a "legacy" version that still did the elevated RHW-2 overrides would be a possibility, though placing starters for the desired non-RHW-2 elevated network at the ends effectively nulls out the interference, anyway.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Is there no way to make diagonal RHW not clip into the terrain short of completely flattening the terrain? It's ugly, it's annoying, and I'm pretty sure the engine doesn't even support a way to make this possible unless you install a ridiculously strict slope mod...

And by ridiculously strict, I mean "100 tiles to go down 15m" strict.

It's sad that I have to use the default highways to build in regions that aren't flat at physically possible.

Also, while I'm on the topic of highways, is this particular restriction hardcoded in the exe?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

mgb204

Indeed the behaviour of RHW on diagonals is a game limitation, however it affects many default networks also, the effect just may not be so pronounced. Using a sensible slope mod is sufficient to prevent it happening however. Note your slope mod needs to have settings for the "DirtRoad" network, many do not.

As for the second thing, I've no idea from the image what you are dragging over the highway? But if it isn't an elevated network, you can pretty much forget it working. Similarly, if the piece you are dragging over is some sort of ramp (really hard to tell), then again it's not going to work.

Wiimeiser

The issue seems to be the way terrain is shaped versus how networks are shaped.

I was more referring to the fact that draggable viaducts have to use a workaround to cross ground highway, and asking if how GHW obstructs other ground networks is hardcoded.

APSMS

MHW blocks ground networks from crossing because the RULs are not defined.

The NAM with the MHO/Project Symphony disables the autocreation of ramps over the MHW (default Maxis behavior) so you'll run into that problem. However, viaducts are coded to cross over so if you use them you should be able to cross no problem. Keep in mind given the slopes surrounding that particular stretch are a bit steep and the game may not have enough distance to flatten the terrain appropriately.

I've also gotten diagonal RHW-4 to go down slopes much steeper than that. The catch is that the slope needs to be uniform rather than slightly bumpy or undulating.

Wiimeiser

APSMS

My slope mod is a modified version of Ennedi's medium slopes. Sometimes the RHW settings (purposely set liberally) aren't enough and I'll smooth it out with the slightly more restrictive rail or El-rail. If your rail slopes are more restrictive that may help but generally smoothing a wider swath of land and then ensuring the slope is straight instead of mildly bumpy will do more since the RHW-4 is on a 3d ground plane.

dyoungyn

I use the ground rail and drag it diagonal for a smooth effect and works like a champ for diagonal RHW.

Pythias900KMB

Quote from: Wiimeiser on April 03, 2018, 10:21:37 PM

Instability? Should be easy to fix, although... Alternatively, a texture bug?

I heard you were removing the L2 RHW-2 from the FLEX Height pieces? Looking at this I honestly don't blame you.

I see no way whatsoever of making this interchange more compact unless you can have FLEXFly over FLEXFly. The ramps on the east-west highway aren't the problem, the width of the terminating one is. Is ten tiles seriously the absolute minimum? The QuickChangeXpress for this cannot come soon enough.

One observation that jumps out at me from the screen capture is the opposing carriageways are right next to each other; while this will not bring about the end of the world as we know it, you might run into a bit of recalcitrance from the RHW and all of the conflicting RUL files.  Standard operating procedure for me is to have a two tile median so I can construct Inside Diamond interchanges.

Another thing to consider is that you should execute a bit of artistic license with at least one of the fly-over ramps.  Draw upon the 45 degree FlexFly a bit more.  Look at my Ankh interchange for example.  See how curvy the left-turn ramps are?  I only used the 90 degree FlexFly as an absolute last resort.

Finally, plan the elevations a bit more.  If I had things my way in a T interchange, the left turning traffic on the terminating highway would face a 2nd elevation lvl acclivity to encourage deceleration prior to being maneuvered through the interchange complete with a declivity at the end to catalyze acceleration to merge into the through highway.

A four-way interchange . . . I would have the left turn ramps at ground/1st elevation lvl with the right turn ramps at 2nd elevation lvl and the through highways above all that at 3rd/4th lvl elevation lvl.

Spaney

Hey there,

I have a mac.  When I run the NAM installer "NAM36MacWrapper" nothing happens.

Literally nothing.

Am I missing something??

Thank you.

Spaney

Spaney

Fixed!

For users of ios High Sierra, wineskin requires disabling "auto detect gpu", otherwise nothing loads.

mgb204

Small nickpicking I know, but I think you mean MacOS not iOS, the later being used on phones/tablets only and the former being for desktop machines. Otherwise your initial problem looks like you've tried to install the NAM on an iPhone, which of course wouldn't work out well.

Tarkus

Spaney, welcome to SC4D, and thanks for sharing your findings!  We've been very limited in our ability to provide support for the Mac version, since we're pretty much all Windows-bound (and I've kept my rarely-used Mac Mini on 10.12, so I've been at a total loss with any 10.13-related issues), so knowing that the "Auto Detect GPU" box needs to be unchecked is a huge help.

-Alex

piehomerman123

In MAVE4-AVE6(or TLA7) and MAVE6-AVE6(or TLA7) T-Intersection, Find a Texture Bugs.

mgb204

I'm not sure these setups were ever fully supported as T-Intersections, only +-Intersections. However, you may find using the new (NAM 36) FTL feature, that you can make them, albeit with extra turning lanes.

Pythias900KMB

Many salutations, NAM team!  I have come across a couple of things that drive me batty.  I am having a rough time getting an E1 ramp to cooperate after revising a Rail viaduct so that I can prepare the land to construct a Commercial district (to replace the one I demolished in order to build that Centrifugal Curve interchange).  Any sage counsel you have is greatly appreciated.

Postscript:  The E1 egress ramp from the southbound carriageway was originally intended to give the choice to continue south into an avenue or to turn east into an avenue; unfortunately, I could not execute the former.  Along the same lines, the westbound carriageway of the avenue is to offer the choice to join the northbound highway or join the westbound highway; unfortunately, I could only execute the former.  Help, please!

Kitsune

Does the L3/L4 6s support diagonals ? As when I go to run anything diagonal under them I get red squares, while MIS and RHW-4 does have the support.
~ NAM Team Member