• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Construction of residential areas

Started by Alan_Waters, May 26, 2018, 01:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan_Waters

I do not know English well, so I'm not sure what I'm writing in the right topic.

I have such a problem:
I started the construction of another city. Provided zoning of commercial, industrial and residential quarters, built police stations, fire units, schools and medical centers. Provided with water and electricity. I built bus stops and railway stations. Minimized taxes. I added several sights to the city.
Commerical buildings were built. The factories were built. Agricultural fields have blossomed, but ...
The construction of residential areas is not started. This happens for me a second time, but in the first case, I, with the help of the code "BuildingPlop" inserted a few residential buildings, and construction began. Now this method does not help to start construction.
If there are any ideas - help please!
Thanks in advance.

Andreas

What about the residential demand, is there enough to trigger new sims moving into town? Lowering the taxes usually should ensure there is, but it might be a wealth-related problem as well. Looking at the screenshot, that looks like a nice neighborhood for rich sims, which obviously are pretty picky about infrastructure and all.

I always used the trick to plant some trees on the empty lots, which boosts the local desirability a little, and suddenly, new houses pop up. How long did you run the game after zoning those lots? I think sims won't move in until the next commute path calculation, which might take a few game months, depending on the size of the city.
Andreas

Alan_Waters

If you look closely, you can see that all trees are lots. After the zoning 65 years of playing time and 6 days of real time passed. I just can not understand what the Sims lack. Can eat any cheat-mod or a cheat-code?

Kitsune

With demand at 1000000 and every super ordinance enabled I've seen in every tile: a bit grows for 10-20 sim years, and then nothing. I have to run it for a 100 years to get 75% growth on a large tile, and that remaining 25% I get to grow by building lots of BSC parks.
~ NAM Team Member

mattb325

As Andreas suggested, I would suggest planting trees (from the flora menu - the growable Maxis ones are just fine) over the residential zones. This provides a brief 'halo' effect that can stimulate residential growth. The houses will wipe out the flora once they build. It was described by Ripplejet in one of his experiments to promote growth.

Apart from that, the only thing I can suggest that you haven't listed, is to ensure neighbor connections exist as well as having enough stage 1/2 plugins (if you are using a Maxis blocker) as well as making sure that the residential demand in each wealth category isn't negative. If it is, then I usually open some other tiles on the map and zone Agricultural (or I-D), just to rebalance the simulator demands for the nicer residential areas that you are developing here.

Andreas

If nothing grows for years, there's something wrong alright, either the lack of proper stage lots due to a blocker, as Matt suggested, or your city might have hit a demand cap, which usually can be raised by building some landmarks that raise the residential caps (mayor's house, city hall, mayor's statues, stadium etc.). There are other factors that contribute to demand, like traffic, pollution etc.

Check the desirability map for residentials in order to find out if this area is marked with red, then try to find the reason. Sometimes, it's just heavy traffic on the adjacent roads, sometimes it's garbage pollution etc. I'd be careful with the "building plop" cheat when it comes to residentials as well, since the game doesn't seem to like ploppable residentials and can't handle them properly, and which might screw up your entire demand system.
Andreas

Pythias900KMB

I usually drag 2x3 and 3x3 blocks of residential and commercial zoning in my cities; still, that is just my preferred practice.  One inquiry I would like to pose is what wealth level of Residential Sims are you hoping to have move in?  The reason that is important is because medium- and high-wealth Residential Sims are very picky about the conditions in their neighborhood.  Do the Commercial service buildings match the wealth level of the Residential Sims.

To put a real life perspective on this:  Everybody ($, $$, and $$$) can go to do business with a Subway sandwich shop; still, the thin wallets ($) might find it a bit rough to do business with a Quiznos sandwich shop.  The aristocrats ($$$) will likely do commerce with a Jason's Deli sandwich shop.  So if you have a lot of Quiznos/Jason's Deli stores in a low-wealth neighborhood, you are insulting the denizens and mocking them for not having the money to shop at those stores (which will not last long).  If you put a bunch of Subway stores in a high-wealth neighborhood, the stores will do okay; still, that is not to the aristocrats' ($$$) tastes.  Understand where I am going with this?

Alan_Waters

In this region, only the zones R$. There are agricultural fields behind the railway. Closer to the center of the region of the R$$ zone, but there are more commerce there, there are two parks...  ()what()

Pythias900KMB

Another thing to bear in mind . . . R$ sims -- and by extension R$$ sims and R$$$ sims -- all practice the principle »Birds of a feather flock together«; put another way, R$$$ sims will not tolerate lower class residential sims as neighbors.  You should give some thought toward having separate residential areas in the same city for this reason; alternatively, it would be ideal if you executed this volition through regional play.  Establish a city for each of the three residential developer types.  Be sure to practice this principle with the Commercial Service businesses as well by setting your tax policy as such.