• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Another magnificent update, Alex! It's always a pleasure to see what you have going on here!

Happy New Year, my friend!

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Back with yet another update--first of the new year.  Last time, we saw state DOT was building the Concord Avenue overpass for the new Highway 4/61 alignment, and beginning work on the Grevano Drive overpass.

In order to help reference everything, I've included a map of the city tile this update takes place on.  It's a bit outdated, but not too far gone.  I'll have a more updated one here soon.

In order to provide better access from the South Argentum/Angstrom area, the DOT has determined that there needs to be an interchange allowing access to the surface street network from 4/61 in this area, and they have chosen to place that interchange at Grevano Drive.  So, in addition to building the overpass, the state is collaborating with the Emerson County Department of Land Use and Transportation (LUT), but also the City of Argentum, to widen Grevano Drive from 2 to 4 lanes between Cubit Lane at the south end, and Fuller Road at the north end.

This is an overview of the north end of the project corridor.  You can also note the new freeway alignment paralleling Grevano Drive (to the right).

Here's another shot of the existing Grevano Drive, south of the new freeway at the intersection with Ballast Drive.

The road has been torn out now to make way for the overpass.  The new Concord Avenue overpass can be used in the meantime.

Here's a closer-in shot of Grevano Drive, with work in progress.  Unfortunately, at least some of those Ponderosa Pines are going to have to come down.

More work on the actual overpass

Now that the new widened and re-aligned section of Grevano Drive north of Ballast Drive has been completed, work on Phase 2, from Cubit Drive to Ballast Drive.  Motorists can drive Grevano Drive in its entirety, after a short trip down the new, extended section of Ballast, connecting the new and old sections of Grevano.

We'll be tearing up the rest of it next time . . .

Now, finally onto replies and other matters . . .

No one quite got the two aforementioned references in the last update.  Both Kevin (BigSlark) and Lollo correctly got the reference to The Doors "Break On Through (To The Other Side)", but my rather subtle KT Tunstall reference went unnoticed:

Quote from: Tarkus on December 31, 2007, 12:07:09 AM
drastic (fantastic  :D)

Perhaps it was a little too subtle, though.  And thus, unfair . . . you know where I'm going with this, right? ;)

Well, both Kevin and Lollo will be immortalized on the map somewhere for their efforts . . . and because I'm in a generous mood, rather than just giving them little residential streets, they'll be getting . . . well . . . more substantial routes. ;)

Thanks for all the replies this past go around, it's good to be back in the swing of things.  I've responded to the most recent batch here:

Ryan (Filasimo): Well, I guess you'll have to stay tuned, as you always say. :D  Same armadillo time, same armadillo channel.  Thanks for tuning in this time around, and hope you enjoyed this latest "episode".

Daniel (Shadow Assassin): Thanks--Glad you liked the asphalt streets--I figured I should plug the SAM, too, now that there's a new version of that, too.  I'm especially a huge fan of that Asphalt set Heblem did.  And as far as how they got the money, well . . . one of the state's US senatorsmanaged to get some really nice "earmarks" as part of a recent federal transportation bill . . . 

bat:  Thanks!  I'm looking forward to making this a bit  . . . less sporadic.  Hope you had an excellent New Year, too!

sebes:  Thanks, I'm glad I managed to end 2007 alright, hope this proved a good start for 2008. 

EDGE4194:  It's really my pleasure to share this stuff with all of you--thanks!

ejeff2007:  They certainly do, particularly after that little "earmark".  And they really are having fun spending it. :D

Lollo:  It's good to see you over here!  I'm always shooting for realism, so thank you for the compliments.  Hope your New Year was enjoyable!

Kevin (BigSlark):  Thanks, man.  I'm really flattered--I can't help throwing in massive amounts of roadgeekery. ;)

Joan (Jmouse):  Yes, it certainly has been an eventful month or so.  Thanks for welcoming me back, it's great to be going at this again, and I hope you enjoyed this latest construction project.

bakerton:  Nope, I don't work for the DOT, just a dedicated roadgeek, but thanks for the compliment. :)  ( . . .though I have toyed with the idea of getting a Highway Engineering degree at some point . . . )

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks, it's always my pleasure sharing all of this stuff with you guys.  Happy New Year to you as well!

And Happy New Year to everyone!

I'll be back with what will be Tarkusian Cities' 20th Update here very soon.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Edit: One of the ImageShack servers the last three pics were posted on were down  as of 10:13am PST, so I've re-uploaded them--you should be able to see the full update now. ;)

Filasimo

great update as always Alex I cant wait until your next update!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

jrone3

I read this from the beginning and I have to say, I love the attention you give to your transportation network. Consider me a regular here, hopefully I can get a route or highway named after me.  ;D

P.S. Great job on the RHW v20. I am having loads of fun with the new MIS system.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stephen Reuben, a farmer of the Vandor Region, mayors his very first city. See how it unfolds in my first MD: Coming Soon!!!

Pat

Alex woooohoooooooo Great new update for a new year!!! Fantastic stuff here and i cant wait to see more.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Oh boy, I have so much to learn about transport systems, so I'm trying to keep up with these new developments.
Great update to jump start the new year! :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan

BigSlark

All right, Alex, you keep showing us these "future interchanges." Don't get me wrong, I love the construction photos, but to what purpose? There clearly aren't any overpasses being built, which leads me to believe that we will get to see the Alpha testing of the RHW4-El pieces around these parts.

I hope I'm right!  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Kevin

Tarkus

Quote from: BigSlark on January 03, 2008, 09:13:30 AM
clearly aren't any overpasses being built

Well, that's only because Imageshack is playing "hard to get" on those pics right now that show the overpass. ;)  If you check back in a little while, the full update might actually show properly. 

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Edit: I re-uploaded them, so now they're back up.

-Alex

Lollo

Oh... just noticed this:

QuoteNow, finally onto replies and other matters . . .

No one quite got the two aforementioned references in the last update.  Both Kevin (BigSlark) and Lollo correctly got the reference to The Doors "Break On Through (To The Other Side)", but my rather subtle KT Tunstall reference went unnoticed:

Quote from: Tarkus on 31-12-2007, 09:07:09
drastic (fantastic  )

Perhaps it was a little too subtle, though.  And thus, unfair . . . you know where I'm going with this, right?

Well, both Kevin and Lollo will be immortalized on the map somewhere for their efforts . . . and because I'm in a generous mood, rather than just giving them little residential streets, they'll be getting . . . well . . . more substantial routes.

Well.... thank you....

Keep an eye on the Lair!

thundercrack83

Your maps are always a great addition here, my friend! I love looking at them! And the new update looks great, too. I can't wait to see what you have planned for the winner of your contest! Keep up the good work!

Dustin

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Back for a quickie teaser here.  Well, our contest winners, Kevin (BigSlark) and Lollo are now on the map . . .

In the process of a couple of re-alignment projects that the City of Argentum undertook, two major arterials, Milpont Road and Redwood Way, became a bit disjointed, so in order to make things a bit more logical with the road names, the northern portion of Milpont Road (between Caldera Lane and Grevano Drive) will become Slark Way, while Redwood Way north of the Sebes Road intersection will become Lollo Boulevard.

I've been making a number of other improvements and amendments to the regional transportation map, and I'll be able to show you the whole region's transit grid here soon. ;)

And for those of you who have asked--what ever happened to the infamous "Mystery Highway" in Wakeman?  Well, as I mentioned a couple of updates ago, it ran into some difficulty--it seems they're having some difficulty getting enough funds (especially with Argentum's "earmarks"), and this map will give you a much better idea why (don't worry, the dark areas on the preview won't show up when you load the map up in full size):

As you can see, there's going to be several massive bridges (some of which are off the edge of the map to the east), one of which will need to be nearly 3 miles long.  Predicted length of all the bridges combined would be around 5 miles.  The state DOT is looking at some alternatives now in case the funding doesn't come through, including a southern route which requires only one more manageable bridge, and does not add much additional mileage to the overall freeway alignment.  We'll see how it turns out soon. ;)

Back with a full update a little later.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Shadow Assassin

Heh, nice work. :P

Slark Way has a sort of a catchy ring to it. It's like "You can go down the parkway, on Slark Way." or somethin like that. :P

Love the map, btw. As for the 5 mile bridge combo thing, have you thought about combining bridges and tunnels in one massive project?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

bat

Great road map there, Tarkus!
Wonderful work on it!

BigSlark

Alex,

Thanks for remembering my terribly lacking classic rock trivia by naming a road after me. I appreciate the immortality that I now have in Tarkusian Cities.

I love the latest maps, not just because my name is one them, but because they are really realistic.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
Kevin

Pat

Alex great new map there and i cant wait to see the full update later - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sebes

Great updates again, oh you giant armadillo. I got lost looking at your maps again - man they are truely amazing... did you ever think of doing a tuturial on drawing those? I would be your  ever greatfull student  :thumbsup:

And congratz Lollo and Kevin for having now major roads that cross mine haha.

By the way Alex: you might want to change the year in your list of updates in the first post ;)

Edit: while I was writing this post, Dustin moved you to the classics - congratulations my friend for that well deserved qualification!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

thundercrack83

Welcome to the Classics, my good friend!

This MD is now where it belongs!

Dustin

P.S.: The map teaser looks excellent, too!

Jmouse

Congratulations on making it to the top floor, Tarkus. :thumbsup:  Who could doubt this MD would reach lofty heights and just keep going on climbing!

Until next time...
Joan

Lollo

QuoteThis MD is now where it belongs!

Sweet little statement.... and extremely true, too. Congrats Tarkus!

Regarding the update... is one of yours, so.... it couldn't be a bad one....

Keep an eye on the Lair!

Haljackey

Wow.  A classic already?  Congratulations Tarkus for your work on this awesome MD!  I can't wait to see what the new highway will look like once it is built! 

Anyways, you have had great updates so far, and I'm looking forward to your next one!

Best,
-Haljackey