• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Eden: The New Frontier

Started by Terring7, December 13, 2010, 11:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricardomiranda

Eden  this fantastic, great images, well done Terring!!!!!!

Terring7

New nano teaser ;D

Replies and pictures are coming soon :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

bat

Teasers are really good!
Looking forward to more... ;)

Nanami

Tomas Neto

Terring7

noahclem: Don't worry for missing update. Glad to see that you like it :)

bat: Thank you :)

sc-4: Thanks ;D . Welcome to Mars &dance

Tomas Neto: Thank you :)

ricardomiranda: Thanks :)

bat: Glad to see that you like them :)

976: Thank you :)

Tomas Neto: Thanks :)

Update 28: Do we need faith?

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies."
Mother Teresa

"Faith: not wanting to know what is true."
Friedrich Nietzsche

After the construction of Hope-1, SimMartians build 2 new colonies as well. The colonies are Logic-2 and Faith-3. I made some improvements in Faith-3, lust like in Hope-1. You know, better placement of power plants e.t.c.. Let's have a look at them...

Nuclear fusion power plants.

The hydrological centre.

The garbage management facilities.

The cemetery of Faith-3.

Farms were here, now replaced by homes. Can you read the letters of the paths? ;D

Most farms however are still here.

The holographic university of Faith-3.

The central quantum computers.

Expansion of the spaceport.

This was where I build the cemeteries. Now there is a monument of Don Quixote of La Mancha, the famous fictional character made by Spanish author Miguel de Cervantes.

An astronomical observatory is a dome with a telescope. Not on Mars any more $%Grinno$% . This is the Hipparchos Astronomical Station, a huge buildings that contain an epic collection of telescopes, computers e.t.c..

3 hummingbirds are flying around the colony.

A space station is orbiting around Mars.

Let's finish the update with some less interesting pictures.

And remember, you can still visit Mars by using the nuclear fusion spacecrafts of W.S.O. (World Space Organization) and the Von Braun Spacelines :thumbsup:

The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Tomas Neto

bat

Wonderful work on Faith-3!! :thumbsup:

Terring7

This update should be the last O.S.I.T.M. update, but the upgrading of SC4D catch me up ;D
I had some cool ideas to make this month pretty special, bit I failed. My lifetime philosophy is "don't make something new if you don't improve the old, unless if you can do both of them at the same time", so I should improve my older colonies before building new colonies. I guess that this O.S.I.T.M. was totally disappointing and I'm sorry for that. I want to thank every visitor of our planetary utopia with their cheers and ideas and I'll try to make my best for the rest of the story.

Tomas Neto: Thanks :)

bat: Thank you :)

Update 29: The Hitchhiker's Guide to planet Mars

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels. A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have."
Douglas Adams

If Earth is the cradle of the civilization, Mars is the new cradle of it. You already know what is going on by the previous updates, but how about a "Living on Mars for Dummies" guide?

You can visit Mars by using the spacecrafts of W.S.O. (World Space Organization) and the Von Braun Spacelines. Those spaceships use nuclear fusion reactors and they are the fastest spacecrafts so now. Thanks to nanotechnology, the spacecrafts needs only some weeks for the Earth - Mars route.

If you are a tourist, you can visit one of our finest hotels.

But if you want to stay on Mars, you need a home. You may want to live in your own, personal little palace.

Or you may prefer living in an apartment, no matter if they are in tall or underground buildings.

Now that you have a home on Mars, it's time to organize your life. As you may remember from the previous updates, planet Mars evolved into a global cybernated society, in which quantum computers replaced the outmoded system of electing politicians. Planet Mars also established a Resource-Based Economy, in which all goods and services are available without the use of money, credits, barter or any other system of debt or servitude. You can finally have everything you need, without having somebody to control you. At last, you're free!

O.K., so... how about a job? Forget jobs, because they are not necessary any more. However you can still make something nice for the colony, something that you can enjoy it as well. Always want to be a painter, but your job on Earth didn't allow that? You are not on Earth any more. In your comfortable home, you can create as many paints as you want and share them with the rest of the colony. Always want to be a biologer? Link up with the biological laboratories by the Martian Internet. The possibilities are endless.

However not all activities can be made by the Internet, so you need to get out of your home. You can "work" in factories, shops and offices, anywhere you wish.

And because of the general system of the Martian way of living, no need to worry any more about anything, including the quality of food and the education system.

Always remember that you can go everywhere you want. You can take a bus or get on a train. Bigger distances? Take a plane!

By working on stuff you enjoy, you'll never bored or tired. Of course after an active day, you need to relax. You can stay on home and watch holographic television, but there are plenty of cool places to visit. Parks, operas, statues, stadiums, museums, landmarks, night clubs, bio domes, the natural wildlife of Mars and so on.

The planetary guide is over. For more informations, check the older updates and stay tuned for the new updates. Don't forget to leave a comment, in order to improve your guide. Have a nice day and remember...

Come to Mars, resistance is futile!

The Choice is Ours
---

Reikhardt

Thanks for keeping us entertained during the OSITM!
Another huge update  &apls

noahclem

Awesome OSITM Elias!  &apls  I really like the holographic university and the stadium. I can't wait to visit and I won't forget to bring a towel ;)

Terring7

If you believed that Eden is a Martian story, you believed wrong. It's a space story, not only Martian. Mars is only the beginning of a giant epic story, filled with space exploration and planetary colonization. Because of this, you'll see more and more extra pictures, especially from Celestia. As about the today update, I always want to make an interplanetary update, showing planets and landscapes. So here it is, inspired by Alien Worlds, the most unique city journal. The extra pictures with the aliens were taken from Alien Wiki.

Hope that you like it :)

Reikhardt: Thank you, glad you see that you like it :)

noahclem: Thank you very much :)

Update 30: Children of the Sun

"We were looking at what seemed to be a translucent oval, its interior laced with a network of almost invisible lines. Where the lines crossed there appeared to be tiny, pulsing nodes of light... What we were seeing was impossible, yet the evidence was there before our eyes. We were looking at life, where no life could exist. The eruption had hurled the thing out of its normal environment, deep down in the flaming atmosphere of the sun..."
Arthur C. Clarke in his short story "From Out of the Sun"

We didn't discover energy-based life on Sun yet, but maybe is not impossible. In 2060 A.D. (91 A.T.) Simkind shocked by the discovery of the Martian ecosystems, but this was only the beginning. In the next 4 years, space probes and rovers discovered that life is almost everywhere in the Solar System. Let's have a look at them.

The most unique object in the Solar System is the Sun. Sun is just one of the 500.000.000.000 stars in our galaxy and it's one of the smallest stars ever found. However for us, Sun is the ultimate creator of life. Without this star, life and intelligence in the Solar System would be impossible. Sun is our father.

Mercury is the smallest and the closest to the Sun planet in the Solar System. A small naked world, with a very thin atmosphere and high temperatures. The space probes and rovers proved that this planet is rich in minerals, making it a perfect mining place. Manned missions take place on Mercury as well, so colonies on this planet are coming soon.

This is where we discovered the Mercurians, silicon-based single-celled organisms. They inhabit the deep craters near the north and south poles, the only places on the planet where water ice found. Hidden inside these craters, and thus unable to perform photosynthesis, Mercurians rely solely on water and minerals from the soil to live. They also have no air to breath, because their homeworld lacks an atmosphere. The shell that covers their bodies is made out of pure silicon, which, being a good thermal insulator, helps to protect the creatures from the extreme temperatures of the planet. A very simple lifeform, the Mercurian reproduces by binary fission.

For many years we believed that Venus is a hot Earth-like paradise, but we believed wrong. Venus is a hell! The atmosphere is 90 times heavier that the Terran one and it's rich with CO2. The whole planet is an out-of-control greenhouse, way hotter than Mercury. Very view missions take place and only 3 Sims walked on the Venusian surface.

Even this hell can support life. Venusians are small fossorial organisms native to planet Venus. They breathe oxygen and feed on sulfur compounds and other mineral and organic substances of Venus' soil. Venusians have many strong, extendable limbs with a sharp claw on the end, which they use to dig their way in the underground in search of nutrients and water. They also use these claws to avoid being carried by the strong winds when venturing on the surface. The upper part of their body is protected by a thick carapace made out of keratin, which protects the Venusian from the extreme heat and the corrosive acids of the planet's atmosphere. Because of the high concentration of sulfur compounds in the Venusian's body, the creature smells like rotten eggs.

Earth is the only planet that support a large collection of lifeforms, from the humble ants to the intelligent Sims. All Sims from Earth, Moon and Mars agree that Earth is the most important planet. It's their home world, a blue oasis of life and intelligence.

Million of years ago, Mars was an Earth-like world, rich of life. It was also the cradle of an ancient civilization. Today however, Mars is an cold desert that supports only a view survivors. Now Mars was colonized by a new civilization, an alien this time. Us. Let us use this planet, to establish a new society. A society based on respect and creation, without wars and governments.

Jupiter is the largest planet in the Solar System, a gas giant of hydrogen and helium. In 2012, when many Sims prepared for the "end of the world", a group of asteroids crushed by the Jovian gravity. The result is the formation of an exotic ring system. Jupiter is a very dangerous place to colonise, but it's moon can be colonized. Sims visited this planet in 2057 A.D. (88 A.T.).

And even this world supports life. Jovians are sac-shaped floating creatures native to the atmosphere of planet Jupiter. The strong wind fills the hollow body of the Jovian carrying it around. The creature can control its speed by contracting its body. Jovians have many large pores on the upper side of their bodies, which are used to absorb nutrients from the environment. Inside the walls of its body there is a network system similar to the circulatory system of Earth's animals, which is used to deliver nutrients to all cells in the organism. Wastes are released when the creature contracts.

Saturn is an another gas giant, beloved by its rings. Those rings made by destroyed ancient moons, full with ice and water. Saturn is also too dangerous for colonization, but it has plenty of moon to colonize.

And Saturn has life as well. Saturnians are small non-sapient creatures native to the atmosphere of planet Saturn. They resemble worms with insect wings. Their bodies seem to be divided in two segments, with the wings sprouting from the middle region between the two. On one end of the body there is a head sporting what appears to be a large red eye or other sense organ. On the other end there is a thin tail.

There are two kinds of Saturnians living on the planet: the ones living on the poles are shorter and have much larger wings, which are used to capture solar light, in order to get energy. The wings are also used as sails, allowing the animal to be carried around by the winds. The equatorial Saturnians, on the other hand, are longer and have very small wings; otherwise their wings would be tore apart by the strong equatorial hurricanes. They get energy from symbiotic bacteria living inside their bodies.

Uranus is a cold gas giant. It doesn't have the cool atmospheric formations of Jupiter and Saturn, making Uranus a little boring place. However it also has devastating storms, making this planet too dangerous for colonization as well.

And there is still life here as well. Uranians are small, non-sapient, blue-colored fungoid organisms native to the atmosphere of planet Uranus. They are very simple creatures, their flat bodies acting as living sails, allowing them to be carried by the winds. Uranians are phototrophs, using sunlight to produce energy. They are eternally migrating from equatorial regions to the poles and back, searching for the places where the sunlight is more intense. They also absorb organic nutrients from the environment through their porous skin.

Neptune is the last planet, a smaller gas giant. Despite the great distance from the Sun, Neptune has enough energy to supersonic winds and storms. A dangerous place to live here, if you are a Sim of course.

Unless if you are a native life forms. Neptunians are fungus-like lifeforms native to the gas giant planet known as Neptune. Their appearance is reminiscent of jellyfish, but the long "tentacles" are actually root-like structures that go down for kilometers, anchoring the aliens to the denser atmosphere layers, which are rich in organic composts used as a convenient food source by the Neptunians. They reproduce by spores, much like Earth fungi.

Besides nutrients, the light blue "blood" running inside the alien's stems also contains amines, substances with a very low melting point, which prevent the fluid from freezing and the stems from breaking.

All the above life forms are the children of the Sun. No matter if they are advance like SimMartians or simple like the Mercurians, no matter if they life underground like the Venusians or floating like the Jovians. All of them are brothers and sisters, children of the same star. We'll visit the planets and their moons in next updates, as well as the future colonies of Simkind. Will they colonise Mercury? Are there plants for terraforming Venus? Can they built cities in the rest planets. What kind of societies they will build? What about having any relationship with the alien native creatures?

Please stay tuned and don't forget to leave your comments :)

The Choice is Ours
---

sumwonyuno

I enjoyed the little stories for each planet.   :)

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

ricardomiranda

Evillions8

Very detailed!  :thumbsup:
------------------------------
As I checked your previous update, your spaceport needed work.  Try using RIMP to make a realistic spaceport and use the lot editor to make SM spaceships fit to the gates or something like that.  There's nothing wrong using the regular spaceport, just that the runways are a tad too small.  Look at Shadow_Prophet's CJ on Simtrop (The Diresam Empire or something, idk.), he uses the RIMP for his spaceports.  You should check it out for some inspiration.  :) 

-Best of luck!  :)

Tomas Neto

Wow... very very great update!!!   :thumbsup:

Terring7

Here is an entertaining teaser. Look at the next pictures and try to find the answer. The pictures are:

And the question is this: What will be the subject of the next update?

The answer, replies and more pictures are coming soon
The Choice is Ours
---

ricardomiranda

Eden is a fantastic MD Terring !

noahclem

Very interesting update Elias, I'm always fascinated by space so it's fun to read.

I do take issue with your statement that the sun is one of the smallest stars ever discovered though. While you might be technically right because dimmer stars can only be seen from quite nearby, my understanding is that red dwarfs are predicted to massively outnumber stars of the sun's size. This has certainly been observed in our stellar "neighborhood" and the smallest stars, even not counting brown dwarfs, are much smaller then our sun, especially if you are measuring by size & luminosity as opposed to mass.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent, great work  :thumbsup:

Terring7

I made a small question in the previous teaser, but nobody gave it a try. Only some folks in Simtropolis gave some answers. Oh well $%Grinno$%
This update will show you a Terran city of 2064 A.D. (95 A.T.). I tried to make a realistic futuristic city, with my style of course. Because it's my Terran city in this Mayor Diary, please don't insult me. Don't worry however, we'll return to Mars very soon. Earth is nice but a bit too boring for me ;)

sumwonyuno: Glad to see that :)

ricardomiranda: Thank you :)

Evillions8: Glad to see that you like it and thank you for the suggestion, I'll give it a try :) . I believe that the improvements in S.T.O.L. technology will allow us to build airports and spaceports with shorter runways, without taking too much space to build them. But by using RIMP, I can build this design by The Venus Project!

Tomas Neto: Thank you :)

ricardomiranda: Thanks :)

noahclem: Glad to see that you like it :) . You have right, there are a lot of smaller stars in our stellar neighbourhood. Brown stars has the size of Jupiter (10 times smaller than the Sun), white stars like Sirius B has the size of Earth (100 times smaller than the Sun) and neutron stars has the size of Los Angeles.

But there are also a lot of giants, way larger than our Sun. VV Cep is one of the largest stars, 1,600 times larger that the Sun!!!

Check this diagram as well...

And no need to sorry for off-topic conversations. A similar one take place in SimPeg as well ;D

Update 31: 2 worlds, 2 brothers

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."
Buddha

"'Tis not enough to help the feeble up, but to support them after."
William Shakespeare

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them."
Dalai Lama

The technological and spiritual evolution on Mars didn't let Earth unaffected. This update will give you a taste of how SimMartians helped SimTerrans. Here is a model of a city of the future, in 2064 A.D.

The Martian architecture is truly modular. Those buildings can construct very fast, can take any shape we want, are very strong against earthquakes and winds, provide all the comforts we need without using too much of resources and are by recycling materials. Although these "prefab" units will be composed of standard components, they will be of a modular design of such a wide and diverse array as to allow maximum individual expression in interior design and décor. Plenty of benefits that improved the Terran cities as well.

Mars doesn't have plenty of energy sources, so SimMartians improved geothermal and nuclear technologies. Some of those technologies became very useful for upgrading the renewable power plants.

To prevent making Mars into a wasteland by over mining and garbage, SimMartian developed the Reduce-Reuse-Recycle strategy, thanks to nanotechnology. Those improvements upgrades the Terran waste management as well.

The Martian environment force SimMartians to build underground farms. In those farms they made experiments in hydroponics and genetic engineering. Those techniques improved the Terran skyfarms as well.

Who need workers, when we have robots? Automated cranes travel along the buildings' length installing floors, windows, curtain walls, roofing, and other components from the ground up. These devices will contain sensors to minimize industrial accidents or collisions with other devices or living beings. A Martian technology with plenty of uses on Earth.

SimMartians didn't want to build huge runways for the airplanes, so the improved the Short Take Over and Land (S.T.O.L.) technology. This technology is now using by the Terrans as well, to build environmental friendly airports.

Mars is a dangerous place to live, so many SimMartians are living in underground homes. Earth is suffering from overpopulation and we need more land to build your cities, so let's inspired by our Martian friends and build downwards!

The low gravity of Mars encourage the construction of tall arcologies. Thanks to the robotic constructors and the new nanomaterials, arcologies on Earth became more safe and effective.

All colonies on Mars are surrounded by parks and exotic landscapes, so why not using this city plan on Earth as well?

SimMartians established the Cybernated Government, where computers replaced the outmoded system of electing politicians. This technology can only be accomplished in a resource-based world economy, where all of the world's resources are held as the common heritage of all of the planet's peoples. The result is the rise of Quantum Anarchy on Mars. Earth however is trying to make a Cybernated Government-like network, based on their monetary economy. They'll failed.

Quantum Anarchy needs the best technologies in telecommunication, in order to turn Mars into a planet-size brain. Those technologies improved the Terran telecommunication systems as well. The result is an epic upgrading in diplomacy and free press, making many SimTerrans hope that soon Earth will be a world of peace and understanding.

Extra pictures...

I'll take some vacations for some days, but Eden will be back soon. Have a nice summer :)

The Choice is Ours
---