• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Newbie question - Road-ramp-highway (RHW)

Started by diego6677, December 13, 2014, 03:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diego6677

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I am also new to NAM 32.  Please do excuse me in advance for having poor english in case i can't explain too well.

I tried to search and studied various threads in this forum about NAM32 to develop a bit better understanding (I'm long way from being expert - after all I'm newbie to NAM32).

I tried to read the thread at http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=16568.0

But i am completely baffled by the explanation in it especially when they don't use picture to describe problem or solution (a picture = thousands of word!).

I am trying to set up a ramp linking between a road and highway (/RHW).  I attach an example of typical road ramp to Maxis's standard highway (standard ramp.png) for your convenience.

So far I built overpass (of normal road) over 8-lane highway (RHW) but I can't find or develop ramp between this road and highway.  I attach another picture of this (my attempt.png) to illustrate my attempt better.

Will anyone be kind enough to advise me on this road-ramp-highway(RHW), or propose suitable alternatives/workaround in NAM32?

I would be much grateful for the guidances/advices and some pictures please.

Thank you and have a wonderful christmas/break to all of you, fellow Sims.

Diego

diego6677

Sorry,

My previous post won't let me to add more picture to one post. So I create another post with picture (my attempt.png) to illustrate my latest but failed attempt at Road-Ramp-highway (RHW) in NAM32.

As always, thank you for advices/guidances!

Diego

mgb204

The simplest way to turn this into an interchange... is actually not all that simple.

The RHW uses a series of modular parts to build interchanges and there is not a simple plop and go solution. If you are not familiar with what these pieces are, where to find them and how to use them, then I would advise you to find some good tutorials and follow along, because this is not really for beginners.

Looking at your overpass, if you remove the ramps for now, you can drag elevated RHW into the elevated roads (MIS would be best). Add some MIS ground to 15m transitions from the RHW Menu and then extend them to meet up with on/off ramps placed on the RHW. Then rebuild the ramps on the road and you've an interchange. If this is meaningless to you, then read up on the interchange tutorials here.

diego6677

Mgb204

Thank you for the advice and explanation.  I have managed to solve the problem.  I learnt this by accessing to NAM31 user manual and RHW user manual (both in pdf format) from third party website (oddly I can't find it on this website), and it explained a lot about interchange and ramps, and it's impossible for me to copy Maxis's small ramp into NAM32 (because I understand that Maxis's ramp is so unrealistic whereas NAM32 are more linked to realism). 

I don't wish to be rude or out of my place here but maybe it's worthwhile to add a sticky topic for user manuals including RHW in this forum for convenience.  These user manuals are very helpful as it helps me to have better understanding of NAM than before especially RHW.

Anyway, thank you again. Merry Xmas to you/Happy new year to you.

Diego

mgb204

Well that's not really necessary, if you've installed the NAM, then they are on your hard disk, usually at "my documents\simcity 4\NAM auxiliary files\documentation".

vortext

You may also want to have a look at the RHW Intersection Guide. A few may be outdated but it should provide you some insights nonetheless.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana