• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tried tu upload on the LEX, but...

Started by Mero90, February 12, 2016, 05:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mero90

I have create a NAM and CAM installer for OSX
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17344.msg505849#msg505849

Today I've tried to upload it on the LEX, I started the upload and waited about 20 minutes until the page refreshed.
However I can't see my upload on the LEX. :(

Do I have to wait for a while?
Do I need some special privileges to upload?
The .zip file is about 800MB, is it too big?

art128

Might be size, yes. If you can't wait, you can upload at moddb in the meantime, which is where the nam is also hosted (though I don't know how the site works)

You should also contact CasperVG, he's the LEX guy.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Swordmaster

That's a very big file! I suspect that's the reason for the fail. NAM 32.1 for mac seems to be around 300Mb. I wonder if you can't reduce the size by using different compression. Then again I don't know anything about macs. In any case, such big files usually need to be FTP'd directly onto the server, and Alex (Tarkus) usually handles it.

Cheers
Willy

Mero90

I can use the SFX NAM installer instead of the uncompressed one, but this will create an uncompressed NAM installer (about 1GB) each time the user will run the Wineskin Wrapper to install NAM again. However I'll try to find a solution.

I'm updating the post for Mac users with the last news.

mgb204

800MB is a bit of a problem, from the perspective of bandwith and hosting, that's really large.

I think if you can resolve the size, at the expense of the size when the installer is run, that makes more sense. Decompressing the files locally makes a lot more sense than the additional download size which for many might take a long time. Not to mention, I think the LEX has a user download limit of 200MB per day, so you should try to keep under that limit.

If ModDB will let you host the full package, we can always give users the choice between the two and provide a link to the alternate version.

Mero90

I've reduced the size until 380MB, but I'm still unable to upload on the LEX, the previous NAM Mac installer was 360MB big.  ()what()
Now I'll try to use Safari or Chrome instead of Firefox.

art128

That's because, most of the time the NAM is uploaded directly in the LEX via FTP, at least that's what I remember reading. You'll need to contact Tarkus about it.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Mero90

I have uploaded it on ModDB, but I have to wait for authorization.  &mmm

mgb204

Either Tarkus or Casper should be able to help you upload it onto the LEX, usually due to the size it needs to be FTP'd onto the server directly.

I guess you can't compress the Mac version as well as the Windows installer, although honestly that thing works miracles!