• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

APSMS

@jmdude1: Yeah, sorry for that. I couldn't remember if you were one of the more responsible users,, and made a joke at your expense. No offense meant, and I hope none was taken.

The function first policy of the NAM team imo is what makes it so great, since things like that 6S take on new usability rather than being redundant and only slightly interesting (another game I play has this problem in spades).
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

jmdude1

Quote from: APSMS on December 31, 2014, 09:20:47 PM
@jmdude1: Yeah, sorry for that. I couldn't remember if you were one of the more responsible users,, and made a joke at your expense. No offense meant, and I hope none was taken.

The function first policy of the NAM team imo is what makes it so great, since things like that 6S take on new usability rather than being redundant and only slightly interesting (another game I play has this problem in spades).

No worries at all. I know how frustrating it must be with you guys getting a lot unnecessary questions. I just wasn't sure if I had a conflict or if I installed something wrong. Thanks again for the help.  :)

diego6677

Quote from: Tarkus on December 31, 2014, 01:40:19 PM

*snide*

-Alex

Edit: Diego, as promised, here's a screenshot of how I placed the HSRP OnSlope.  Part of the issue you've been encountering may be because the higher ground you're trying to place it on is too short and narrow, and the starters on the end are deforming it.  At least 3 tiles length on the higher ground should be adequate.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Thank you for the picture as it helps a lot.  :thumbsup:  I tried to replicate your example by raising few tiles higher in various height:  15m, 22m, 24.5m, 30m.

unfortunately, it is still visual bugs as I attach the screenshot  - it shows the gap.  however the drawpaths cheat show it is workable.  And the train can go through the "gap" without problem.  I'm a bit disappointed as I know that NAM is aimed for realism and this bug is anything other than realism.  ???  Oh well at least we know that it is a bug or glitch.  Overall, I am still happy with NAM bar this weird bug but you can't be pleased with everything perfect anyway :) 

Thank you again for your helps in any case Alex.  Happy new year.

Coogan

Here's a dumb question, but I don't think I've ever seen it asked anywhere:

Will buildings grow along the RHW?  I've always assumed it's like the Maxis highways; the game would complain about no road access if you zoned anything on it.

(I would try it out but I'm not at my SC4 system right now).

Tarkus

Quote from: diego6677 on January 01, 2015, 09:34:45 AM
I'm a bit disappointed as I know that NAM is aimed for realism and this bug is anything other than realism.  ???  Oh well at least we know that it is a bug or glitch. 

Well, it's more that the piece is just difficult to place.  It took me some practice to get it placed right, too--I was using the version with the starters, if that helps.

Quote from: Coogan on January 02, 2015, 01:00:09 PM
Here's a dumb question, but I don't think I've ever seen it asked anywhere:

Will buildings grow along the RHW?  I've always assumed it's like the Maxis highways; the game would complain about no road access if you zoned anything on it.

(I would try it out but I'm not at my SC4 system right now).

Generally, no, as it's a highway network. 

-Alex

Wiimeiser

AFAIK the RHW is actually just the network template with Autoconnect enabed.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

mgb204

Having mostly finished my Sandstone mod, some pieces really stand out that I still can't change, namely the GLR Ramps, Flups Ramps and the TIR Bridge. Since it is often very useful to use such pieces I would very much like to re-texture them to fit my mod. Are there Gmax/model files for these pieces available so they can be modified?

I notice Rivit had managed to achieve much the same with the Street Ramp for his Tarseal Mod so I guess these models must of been available somewhere at some point, or is there another way to do this that someone knows of?

:EDIT:

After a bit of searching I think the GLR Ramps used in the NAM were made by the following creators:

SFBT - Tram FLUPs / Tram to Subway Ramp
RTMT - Tram in Ave/Tram in Road to Subway Transition
Marrast - Tram in Ave FLUPs Ramp.

If anyone knows if Marrast is still around, or the best way to contact the SFBT that would be helpful. Otherwise could someone in the NAM team confirm if these models are kept by them or would be available?

I'm working with someone who may be able to make a replacement if we can't get the originals, this brings up another question, does anyone know how deep the ramp should go? Is it necessary for this to be the same for the pathing to work correctly?

Tropod

Quote from: mgb204 on January 06, 2015, 10:57:02 AM
....Are there Gmax/model files for these pieces available so they can be modified?

....does anyone know how deep the ramp should go? Is it necessary for this to be the same for the pathing to work correctly?

ilives reader can export as 3DS, though not sure if that'll be in the appropriate format you need.
Paths; paths are not reliant on content of S3D in order to work. This has some info on pathing.

Other questions I couldn't answer myself, but hopefully ^^ that'll help  ;)

bobblunderton

First of all, I would like to after many years, say THANK YOU to the NAM team for 9+ years of having much fun building highways unlike any other computer game available.  This keeps me playing SC4 to this day.  NO OTHER GAME can compare to this SC4 + NAM + buncha-other-mods-etc!

Now that that's outta the way, I tried building a L2 6s highway (just a single side of it, was part of a flyover) from east to west, over a single, diagonal section of L0 6s that went from NE to SW diagonally.   The top level being orthagonal, the bottom diagonal.  I know these are somewhat tough to build, and I've had problems before.  I figured, well, each road is a single instance (not two directions of highway next to one another such as an overpass on ye-olde-typical highway), so maybe it would work.  When I went to drag the bridge across the diagonal L0 6s with the orthagonal L2 6s, it turned RED as it got to the far side of the bridge to be built.  No way of doing this would let it work.  I found this odd, when I remedied this with replacing the orthagonal L2 6s with a standard L2 2lane.  This works for me in this instance, but was just curious about it.  Is this an error in the RUL codes or is this just not permitted to build orthagonal L2 6s over diagonal L0 6s?

Thank-you again.  Your highways allow me (while also using CAM mod) to build cities of 4-5 million people on a large tile.  This is amazing.  I even tried CitiesXL, and it reeked.  SC2013...not even gonna try that one.  SC4 is just TOO MUCH FUN.   Even well into my 30's, this game is still just AWESOME.

Looking forward to Fractional-angle highway exits and abilities to build overpasses over them even if it's puzzle piece based.  FA2/FA3 highways are nice but they are certainly limited access without having any ramps for them!

spiritcrusher96

Im running simcity4 on windows 7 downloaded from steam. i have the NetworkAddonMod_Setup_32.exe downloaded but when I try to open it It says it can't extract it,  am I doing something wrong? I seem to be the only one who can't install this thing

Bojci43

Hello

Have one question - i bought new computer and i will play SC4 on this new computer now.
My question is: can i copy / paste the NAM from plugins (from old computer on a new computer), or do
I have to install NAM again on a new computer?

Brgds

shanghai kid

i'm pretty sure you can just copy/paste the nam folder from the old to the new computer.
Shanghai kid from Norway
"The lurking devil"
(Bam Bam Bigelow & Eddie Guerrero R.I.P).

gobo77

I have following Problem:

If I want to build this, on this field the elevated train modell appears. And if I want to place the diagonal puzzle piece of the grass textured GLR, it will be placed on the field above. It's draggable GLR with the grass texture from the additional styles starter pieces.
Sorry for my bad english....

mgb204

Your problem is due to the diagonal piece switching at the same time to run parallel to the avenue, usually you need at least 2-3 tiles space to get a starter in place.

If you switch to the puzzle pieces you can make the avenue connection, depending on other factors you may need to use puzzle pieces for the entire T-Switch-track part before switching to draggable again (if you desire). You will also need to delete the draggable network to have space for the puzzle piece to plop. Draggable GLR can be dragged right up to a puzzle piece, but puzzle pieces often won't plop right next to draggable networks, so just switch the order for building and you should be fine.

Kuewr665

I don't remember if I have asked about this already, but I am unable to create this overpass.

This may be more of a feature request, but the FAR pieces taking up unused tiles mean that setups like the one I have pictured above cannot be created, because of the adjacent piece using the empty tile in the median. I am wondering if the FARHW pieces will have smaller footprints similar to the new FAR pieces in the RRW.

j-dub

I may not be the most help, but Sorry it's not that simple. This ain't easy stuff, there is too much stuff to track and if the devs here can shrink that down then that would be great but if they can't, then they just can't. Yeah, unfortunately alot of stuff pictured there I know is too close together to even work stable in that first picture especially. I know you don't want to hear it that way, but present time, either way you stuck with it as is, no-warranty. IF that gets retrofitted, it will be a long time.

speeder

I found a bug

The part that is an exit (the entrance version works fine) A1, internal, for the RHW-10S don't work, it plots down the "default" piece, and don't change to match the highway, and you cannot drag a MIS out of the exit stub either (you must use a starter piece instead).

Pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/Bswul8W.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Bswul8W.jpg

EDIT: The water around the bridge (of that same highway) is a very dark blue, and don't match maxis default water colour, neither the colour of any of the water mods I have here.

Any fix for that?

itsacoaster

speeder:

A couple of others and I reported that problem, and apparently that will be fixed in the next edition:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=990.msg488434#msg488434

speeder

What about the issue I mentioned in my EDIT, where the bridge pylons have some funny water texture that don't match either modded or maxis stock water texture?

dyoungyn

NAM Team,

I would like to start off by saying thank you for all your creativity and work.

I am not sure if the attached have been reported.  The first of the cloverleaf interchange, this started about a month ago.  I use to be able to do this with ease, but now, no joy.

The second is so close for this type of interchange.  Now sure why it is doing this. 

dyoungyn