• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

No more inter-city traffic

Started by ShinD, February 23, 2012, 09:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShinD

Hello,

I'm new here, and somehow new to the game. I've played the "basic game" for a few weeks now, and started installing mods and custom contents to improve the experience.

First I installed the NAM, and it was okay.
Then I installed the CAM with the starter CAMelots packs and all the depedencies listed on this forum.
I also fiddled with HSR (uninstalled since then), and with custom mass transit stations and stops.

And now, at least, I wanted to start a new region (basic New York region), and as I did with the "nude" game", I started 2 cities, one with residential and commercial areas, the other with industrial areas. The 2 cities are connected by monorail, train and roads.
The problem is, there's no traffic between the 2 cities, and therefore none of them are growing like it did before I installed all theses pluggins. (power and water selling deals works, though)

I know I shouldn't have installed so much custom content without testing them, but before uninstalling and reinstalling step by step (wich takes really an awfull lot of time), I'd like to know if it's a common problem (maybe with the CAM) and if someone could help me.

KoV Liberty

Well, the main problem I find with SC4 is that, when the little sims get educated, they tend not to want to work in industrial factories and they want to move on. Therefore either you need a not-so-bright town to work in factories or have HT industry in the town. But because there technically are no "residents" the factories stay the way they are even though people commute out of town. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the the game is flat out wrong about about there being multiple cities with multiple jobs. I'm not sure about the plugins causing the problem. It, I don't think, is in their nature to do that. The CAM from what I understand just lets you build larger building at higher populations and focuses on those buildings at those very high populations that use the CAM. As far as I know, it does not have much to do with traffic, But it can effect it. I learned the hard way when I made a mega city with just RES skyscrapers. The traffic flow on the avenues and roads was a mess even when I told the NAM to run them at 4x capacity before being a problem.

I probably wasn't much help, but I tend to just stay away from Industry in other cities. And put them in just a few select towns, but kinda bordered away from the rest of the city. Either by a highway, or retaining wall or in the rare case a mountain. In your NYC case, put them in New Jersey, at least from what I have seen in GTA IV, that's where most industry in NYC is.

Hope I helped in any way possible. :)

Alex

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

ShinD

Well, the thing is, it worked just fine before I installed all these pluggins (even better with NAM than without)

After just a few years in game I had something like 20 or 30 thousands people in my city, severall thousands inter city commuters. Now when I play the same way, my residential area doesn't grow at all, my industrial city doesn't develop either, and I have no commuters (wich I think is the core of the problem).