• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4DatPacker Survey - Please read and post

Started by wouanagaine, February 18, 2007, 12:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wouanagaine

I want to know some things from the users, as I plan to remove some features that I'm quite sure anyone use or misused and which are prone to bug

Did you changed the default 'plugins_compressed' folder name ?
Do you understand the meaning of the checkboxes associated with each folder name  and when did you check them?
Do you understand the meaning of the 'force recompression' checkbox and did you ever use it?
Do you play with compressed files only ? ( aside from the files in the root plugins or in the Maxis folder )

For your interest, and if the poll go in the direction I expect
The checkbox associated with each folder will be removed
The 'force recompression' will be removed
the tool will always output the files to 'plugins_compressed' without a way to change this
the config.ini will be removed as it only store your plugins_compressed folder path

Thank for your time to read and post

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

M4346

Quote from: wouanagaine on February 18, 2007, 12:40:25 PM

Yes, I did.  ()stsfd()

QuoteDo you understand the meaning of the checkboxes associated with each folder name  and when did you check them?

No, lol. I just leave it as is and pack away! :P

QuoteDo you understand the meaning of the 'force recompression' checkbox and did you ever use it?

I think I understand what it means, well, I think it's quite obvious, but I've never used it.

QuoteDo you play with compressed files only ? ( aside from the files in the root plugins or in the Maxis folder )

Nope, I download too much too often and can't pack it everytime. :P And I don't pack the files that can't be packed (there's this big elementary school that loses the model if packed, DT's tree models, etc.), or that I don't want packed (i.e. my terrain, water, cliff, road texture mods, etc.)

Thank you, yet again, for a great tool. And my time is nothing compared to the tool and your time you put into it. Always a pleasure, and I'm glad to at least give back something very small compared to what you've given us. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Diggis

I left the name Plugins Compressed

I only checked the box if I added or removed something from a folder.  Pretty sure I didn't actually need to, but felt better for it.  Also, it seemed as though if I removed something from the plugins it didn't get removed from the compressed one unless I deleted it and ran it again.

Force recompression? What?

Yes only the compressed ones.  I don't have a huge plugins folder and don't add too much new stuff at the moment.

And this is the best thing since sliced bread, really.  That good.

dioangel

Ok here is mine...

1. Did you changed the default 'plugins_compressed' folder name ?
A: Nope, leave it the w ay it is

2. Do you understand the meaning of the checkboxes associated with each folder name  and when did you check them?
A: Yes..

3. Do you understand the meaning of the 'force recompression' checkbox and did you ever use it?
A: Yes

4. Do you play with compressed files only ? ( aside from the files in the root plugins or in the Maxis folder )
A: No... I'm afraid if I moved them my game would crash.

"Beethoven is known for writting the most daring music has ever known to man...DioAngel is known for writting outragous stories has ever known to a lady."
My new MD: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6796.0

CabraBuitre

Left as is

2. Do you understand the meaning of the checkboxes associated with each folder name  and when did you check them?
Yep, I do know what they're for, and I have used them to recompress some of the folders that I've changed/added some files for

3. Do you understand the meaning of the 'force recompression' checkbox and did you ever use it?
Yep, see question #2

4. Do you play with compressed files only ? ( aside from the files in the root plugins or in the Maxis folder )
I do, yes.  ... Now, I've only used the compressed files a few times because my current computer is terrible, but next week when I get my new comp, I will be using all compressed files.

Check out Abelfarei!

Gaston

Okay here would be my answers:

Nope, I left it exactly like it was.    $%Grinno$%

Do you understand the meaning of the checkboxes associated with each folder name  and when did you check them?
     I didn't at first but after reading comments and questions posted, I think I have figured it out.   I don't ever check them.    "$Deal"$

Do you understand the meaning of the 'force recompression' checkbox and did you ever use it?
     I have no real clue as to what it means.     ()what()

Do you play with compressed files only ? ( aside from the files in the root plugins or in the Maxis folder )
     I have one file that isn't compressed.     &mmm 

---Gaston

白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Pat

QuoteDid you changed the default 'plugins_compressed' folder name ?

No i didnt change the compressed folders name left it as is.

QuoteDo you understand the meaning of the checkboxes associated with each folder name  and when did you check them?

If I learned correctly that it means to skip over that folder?

QuoteDo you understand the meaning of the 'force recompression' checkbox and did you ever use it?

Haven't tried it yet but i think i get the concept of it??

QuoteDo you play with compressed files only ? ( aside from the files in the root plugins or in the Maxis folder )

I did play once and everything moved allllll so much faster,  with some minor disappointments though i have lost some of my plug in's and trying to rework the folder.

Thank you again for the program its a great tool and it has helpped me out but i need to rework my plugin folder a little then redo lol - Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

vab423

No, but that's not to say I wouldn't.

Yes.

Yes. No.

Do you play with compressed files only ? ( aside from the files in the root plugins or in the Maxis folder)
No. 

I actually don't use DP because I didn't really notice a difference in game performance, other than it took maybe a minute less to load the game -- maybe I just don't have as much stuff as everyone else.

In all fairness, I didn't really *have* an issue with performance or load times before.  Besides, I'm still rebuilding my plugins folder and have retired a ton of stuff, so I'm pretty satisfied without Datpacker right now.  If I ever get ambitious enough I'll probably use it to compress the files I don't really need so they're easier to move in and out of my game directory.

I do think this is a great tool.  Personally, I like having choices so I wish you wouldn't get rid of the options.  On the other hand, if my current version fits my needs, I don't *have* to upgrade, right?  ;-)

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

Serkanner

Sometimes

No and No

Yes and yes

No

an extra  :thumbsup: for the great tool once again.

freedo50

Quote from: wouanagaine on February 18, 2007, 12:40:25 PM

No

Yes i understand them and no i havent used them.

I understand (i think) but ive never used it.

Just about.

Thanks again for the tool, nice to see u asking us &apls &apls

BarbyW

Yes as I make a compressed folder for each region I play.

I think so and I check them when I have added or removed something from a folder.

I think so and I have used it in conjunction with the check boxes as above.

Yes I play with whichever region compressed folder is appropriate.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

sam

My answers are much the same as Barby's. I rename each compressed file so it is appropriate to the city I'm playing. It probably wouldn't be as useful to me to not be able to rename the dat files.

I probably don't understand all the tick boxes as well as I'd like to, but I have used them.

beskhu3epnm

A: Nah

A: Yes, I understand them completely, I use them to keep prop/BAT families in one DAT for easy switching. I can make multiples with unique descriptors that I can use for different regions. Very useful, but I think it is a niche option.

A: I've used it, but... uh.?

A: I play mostly with compressed files, however I keep terrain texture files seperate, so that I can change sea levels, snow levels, edge reconciliation, etc. at random without cracking open a huge .dat.

Thank you, oh great one!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Rayden

Instead of answereing point by point, I'll enumerate what I do.

- Install the new plugins just downloaded.
- Run Cleanitol and other tool I have to check for duplicates and other useless files
- Run SC4DatPacker
- Move the final Plugins_compressed folder to the root of my SC4 Docs folder
- Rename my Plugins to Plugins_uncompressed
- Rename the moved folder Plugins_compressed to Plugins
- Play the game

If I download new stuff I do this

- Rename the Plugins folder to Plugins_compressed and move it back to my Plugins_uncompressed folder
- Rename the Plugins_uncompressed to Plugins
- Repeat the same steps as above.

This time, when I run SC4DatPacker, it checks for any changes on the original folders/files and compresses only what is new or changed. Silly me, I used to erase the packed plugins and run SC4DatPacker everytime I added new downloads.

About your points, never used the check boxes, and I'm not really sure what they do, or ever tried to experiment them, as the packing of the files works just perfect and never needed anything else so far. Thx Wouanagaine for this amazing tool. :thumbsup:

&idea After posting the above, it just stroke my mind, how about something to automatize what I just have explain above, like a batch process? Or something similar?  &idea

pvarcoe

A: No, I go with the default (plugins_compressed)

A: Yes, and I don't check them

A: Yes, but I don't check it

A: I play with primarily compressed dats, but add in a few new ones, until I repack a new dat.

meldolion

Quote1. Did you changed the default 'plugins_compressed' folder name ?

No I go with default

Quote2. Do you understand the meaning of the checkboxes associated with each folder name  and when did you check them?

Yes but, I never checked them

Quote3. Do you understand the meaning of the 'force recompression' checkbox and did you ever use it?

Yes, but never used

Quote4. Do you play with compressed files only ? ( aside from the files in the root plugins or in the Maxis folder )

I play with just compressed files only, as I've reorganized my pluns on 4 subfolders (and nothing is in the root plugins or in the maxis one), I play with just the compressed dats in my plugin folder.

Thank you
Luca

EDGE4194

No.
     No and No.
     Not really and not sure why I need to use it
Do you play with compressed files only ?
     Yes (depending on my download activity)

High5Tower

After using the data packer for about a week now and reading all these posts what I do is: The only thing on the data packer that I use is the start button. I have read but don't really understand the other buttons. But since apparently I don't need them I am not concernd about them. Thats the problem though with any tool or car  or anything with many buttons: people like to push them. This I definitly the best thing since sliced bread(re:Diggis).I could not live without this tool. Now I just need to learn how to use the cleanital tool. I have read the instructions many times but I cannot figure it out.

petercintn

A: no
A: Yes, never

A: Yes, never

A: yes,  I tried to put all my files in the compressed file but my cities would not load from the region view.  Works great and fast leaving the plug-in root files and the maxis plugin folder files.  I remember now, I cleaned up every duplicated file, only keeping the latest and that's when I couldn't get into my cities.  But I backup so no problem, I just went back and used the plugins cleaned with cleanitol, which is smarter than me.

By the way, thanks for this and cleanitol
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

jabezscratch

First of all, thanks for the amazing program!   &apls

Unfortunately, I have a problem and I'd appreciate any help you could provide.  Initially, I had installed the program, ran it, and it worked perfectly.  But I went to use it again, clicked the exe, and a window popped up that said: "See the log file `[directory location on my harddrive]' for details.  I opened it and it says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPacker.py", line 1, in ?
  File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 82, in load_module
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 1, in ?
  File "wx\__init__.pyo", line 45, in ?
  File "wx\_core.pyo", line 4, in ?
  File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 98, in load_module
ImportError: MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading wx\_core_.pyd

So, the program was working fine and now I can't launch it.  I've downloaded the more up to date version than the one I had and it still will not launch.  FYI: I'm using Windows XP.  Any thoughts?