• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tutorial: Diagonal, neighbor connecting, intersecting bridges

Started by daeley, August 21, 2010, 03:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

This will make my futuristic cities even more futuristic :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

joshriddle577

Quote from: Terring7 on October 06, 2010, 07:35:44 AM
This will make my futuristic cities even more futuristic :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh man! I wanted to think that you could build cities on water! This pic proved me wrong on that one.  :'( Oh well...

@Terring 7: Put that water back they sure ain't gonna like that.  :D

editfish

Quote from: daeley on August 21, 2010, 03:12:19 AM

When we try to draw a network now, the game will keep it entirely flat instead of letting it follow the terrain.

... then draw again to the edge and you'll be offered the opportunity to create a neighbor connection.

OK, so...on the connecting city, I would presume that the connections appears above the water (or where it should be), so I would have to continue dragging that bridge across that "body of water" before removing the plugins for 'normal' gameplay?

Terring7

Here are some interesting lessons about this cool trick ;D

In this project, i try to build a bridge long enough to connect the above town with the below arcology

The result was... well. better see it by yourself %confuso :D :D

Oh well. And here are some interesting images.

Q: Can two (or more) of these bridges cross at a different height?
A: No, that's not possible. It is also not possible to draw networks under these bridges at ground level.

Yes, it's possible. But the result will not be very... nice :D

Q: Can we plop puzzle piece on to of them? GLR, etc?
A: Yes, but that will look a bit weird because they won't have supports. We might release some puzzle pieces exactly for this purpose in the future though...

I'll agree ;D And what about Transit Enable lots?

And something final ;)

I hope i did help enough with my experiments :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

rooker1

Call me Robin, please.

rooker1

To get around this conflict I just move out the file when I am using yours and out it back in again afterwards.
I have found the zero sealevel file a great use when I want to decorate my sea/river bottoms with ease.

Thanks alot,
Robin  ;)
Call me Robin, please.

rooker1

Three times in a row......I'm very bad.

Some members have been asking for the files attached in your first post, so I have decided to bump this thread again.

Robin  &apls &apls
Call me Robin, please.

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

mike3775

Quote from: rooker1 on October 27, 2010, 04:10:52 PM
To get around this conflict I just move out the file when I am using yours and out it back in again afterwards.
I have found the zero sealevel file a great use when I want to decorate my sea/river bottoms with ease.

Thanks alot,
Robin  ;)

I agree.  Its great being able to finally be able to have islands for the power plants and water plants and no longer have to guess if the land is being raised properly to get the water pipes or sub lines across and not have the terrain be to steep.  This makes it so much easier, plop in the mod, make raise the land to the best height(where its still under water), exit the game, remove mod, go back in and play

SC4Richard

After having an issue caused my the slope mod im using I have managed to create a diagonal bridge :)... but i have this problem, as shown in this picture, where I have 'gaps' in my bridge... any help would be appreciated.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/city11apr001349263058.png/

Also is there a way of having Euro textures on the bridges so that i dont get this effect: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/528/city11apr001349263098.png/

Another thing is i cant seem to create diagonal Avenue bridges... i've read the instructions and still dont get it, what im doing is not working and i cant see any pictures in the tutorial on here?

Thx in advance for any help :)

MOREOPTIONS

Help, What am I missing?  I have tried using the temp plug in.  used the bridge puzzle peace for max hwy.  I have NAM31.1 installed.  Here what I get when I rem the diag plug-in.
Quote from: Terring7 on October 07, 2010, 05:33:24 AM
Here are some interesting lessons about this cool trick ;D

In this project, i try to build a bridge long enough to connect the above town with the below arcology

The result was... well. better see it by yourself %confuso :D :D

Oh well. And here are some interesting images.

Q: Can two (or more) of these bridges cross at a different height?
A: No, that's not possible. It is also not possible to draw networks under these bridges at ground level.

Yes, it's possible. But the result will not be very... nice :D

Q: Can we plop puzzle piece on to of them? GLR, etc?
A: Yes, but that will look a bit weird because they won't have supports. We might release some puzzle pieces exactly for this purpose in the future though...

I'll agree ;D And what about Transit Enable lots?

And something final ;)

I hope i did help enough with my experiments :)

Xcathdra

Quote from: SC4Richard on October 03, 2012, 05:02:12 AM
After having an issue caused my the slope mod im using I have managed to create a diagonal bridge :)... but i have this problem, as shown in this picture, where I have 'gaps' in my bridge... any help would be appreciated.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/city11apr001349263058.png/

I know this is a few years old however I am having the same issue with the gaps.  I have looked around for a topic dealing with this and have not located one.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve the diagonal gap / know how to resolve it?

mgb204

I'm no expert (understatement), but trying to get this to work earlier, through trial and error it would seem you need to do the following:

- Draw the road first, completely before plopping any puzzle pieces.
- Put the puzzle piece down on one side of the bridge only.
- Click from the puzzle piece towards where the bridge will be and continue updating the road to bridge all the way to the other side.
- Only when you have the bridge completed, plop the second puzzle piece into place.

I made the mistake of putting both puzzle pieces in thinking I was clever but then gaps were appearing in the overrides. Of course if you were doing it correctly in the first place I guess this doesn't help, but it sounded familiar to what I was doing wrong earlier.

Xcathdra

I tried doing that and it still did not work.

The only way I was able to get it to work was to have a difference in height where the bridge contacts land.  Not sure if it was a fluke or what...

Thanks for replying.  I appreciate it.

mgb204

If it helps, I found (at least with Road and Rail) you can easily drag most of the bridge once you get going until it's over land on the second side. Then you can terraform the second bridge edge to meet the height of the road and once that's all in place plop the second puzzle piece. It was easier than trying to level both sides at the same height for me.

To avoid the bump at the start of the bridge, perhaps you want to ensure that the puzzle piece is a few tiles back from the bridge edge if you haven't tried this already.

Xcathdra

Sorry for the delayed response.

thanks for the help.. What you suggest3ed worked.

deora

Hey guys,sorry if i am in the wrong thread,but it seems to fit best in here.
Two days ago i decided to try diagonal bridges with the DBE because i needed a diagonal bridge for the area i`m working on.
After a bit of swearing, a vodoo dance and the sacrificing of a cardboard goat to the almighty gods i sort of gaved up.
I even created an empty Plugins-Folder with nothing in it but the NAM with Real Highway and the two DBE files.
At least this worked sort of because i finally could build at least road bridges.
But i need a Highway bridge or at least an Avenue bridge.
On the internet i only found a video tutorial for one tile wide bridges (road/rail...)
Can someone tell me where i can find an easy step by step tutorial for building a diagonal Highway or Avenue Bridge,please?

mgb204

I don't know of any videos personally, but if you can build a road bridge, I don't understand why the Avenue/Highway ones won't work, you are using the RHW tool to drag them, right? Also you need to use a "shared tile" RHW setup (shown in readme).

Perhaps if you explained what is not working, a more specific solution can be suggested?

deora

Well,i`m pretty sure it would work if i know how to do it exactly.
The thing with the shared tile networks sort of confuse me.Shouldm i first place the needed Starterpiece (for example Highway Starterpiece) on the spot where my bridge should start or should i place ne on both ends of the bridge and then how am i supposed to drag the route in between?

memo

Quote from: deora on July 17, 2014, 02:30:49 PM
Shouldm i first place the needed Starterpiece (for example Highway Starterpiece) on the spot where my bridge should start or should i place ne on both ends of the bridge and then how am i supposed to drag the route in between?

Generally, I'd recommend to build the entire bridge first, and only as a last step place the starter pieces and redrag the bridge for the conversion to take place. That way, dragging the shared-tile diagonals is no different from building them on plain terrain – though, it might help to try them on plain terrain first in order to get a feeling for how they work.