• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Think I found a bug

Started by Cire360, June 10, 2012, 01:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cire360

I have the newest nam installed which I just did recently, up till that point I didn't experience this bug, so i think it may exist in that april release of nam, however I can't be sure.

I have been playing recently with various configurations trying to optimize my highways, without using RHW, Its not that I don't like RHW, its that it can be extremely daft at times, ie a bulldoze at the wrong location and your in for a world of pain, ect.  Anyhow so I'm using maxis ground highways, and been playing with using various highway exit and entrance configurations, and  I notice that i didn't have any traffic what so ever on my highways showing up.  This occurs when using the parallel ramps for maxis highways, I know it never happened before because i used them before.  Oddly the game still works perfectly with the overpass ramps, however adding a parallel ramp will stop all traffic coming 'before' the ramp i just added ie, if  I have 10 tiles of ground highway and a overpass ramp which I'll call ramp 1, then another 20 tiles of highway and another overpass ramp which I'll call ramp 2.  If i add a parallel ramp between ramp 1 and ramp 2, ramp 2 traffic stops and only traffic from ramp 1 works, place a parallel ramp in front of ramp 2 and all traffic stops on that side of the highway.  I really hope i explained this right, and I apologize if this has been posted in the wrong spot.  But it never occurred before installing the NAM update.

Wiimeiser

Does it only happen with the Avenue ramps, not the road ones? If so you're not alone.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Cire360

Quote from: Wiimeiser on June 10, 2012, 04:42:57 AM
Does it only happen with the Avenue ramps, not the road ones? If so you're not alone.

Yes the avenue ones, sorry i forgot to mention that.

threestooges

For a better idea of what you're looking at, a picture or two would be useful; particularly with the "drawpaths" cheat being used (if you don't have buggi's extra cheats mod, get it, it's useful). If there are any broken paths being caused, they'll show up; otherwise it's likely something being caused by a new/better route being generated.
-Matt

Tarkus

We've seen this issue reported, but to the best of my knowledge, we've never been able to replicate it.  If we can't replicate it, we can't fix it.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

It seems to be restricted to the Australian Deluxe version, or whatever version I'm using. Should I post the code above the disc number on my copy? And this is a vanilla piece or was it added with the NAM?

Tarkus

I believe that particular piece was vanilla, though I use MHWs so rarely that I honestly don't remember.  I seem to recall putting my game into LHD with a clean install and trying to replicate it, but to no avail.

-Alex

jdenm8

Quote from: Wiimeiser on June 10, 2012, 07:44:03 PM
Australian Deluxe version

Australia never had its own version, the UK or US version was available depending on importer. Original 2003 versions tend to be from the US, later re-presses (Like the ones floating around EB stores now) are ones from the UK.

As for the actual issue, we really do need Screenshots. There are about five or six of those different pieces and it's much easier for you to provide a picture than it is for us to build cases for us to replicate it on six different configurations.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Wiimeiser

The disc DOES say Made in EU

Should I post that code that appears above the "Disc 1"? Will it be helpful at all?

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on June 11, 2012, 05:50:43 AM
Should I post that code that appears above the "Disc 1"? Will it be helpful at all?

I wouldn't--it wouldn't really be of use in diagnosing things.

-Alex

Cire360

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 11, 2012, 04:30:10 AM
As for the actual issue, we really do need Screenshots. There are about five or six of those different pieces and it's much easier for you to provide a picture than it is for us to build cases for us to replicate it on six different configurations.

I've tried to post screenshots off my server before and it didn't work,  I can email some screenshots if someone wants to provide a email address.

Cire360

Thanks Tarkus, heres the pics

The first image shows traffic flowing perfectly, visible and what not.  I tried to turn on traffic where it shows the color of traffic being generated and what not but for some reason when i try to take a picture it turns it off automatically.  Anyhow this first one shows things working with overpass ramps.

In this second image all i did was add a parallel ramp, and notice how theirs no longer any traffic coming before it, furthermore the traffic color thing turns grey as if the highway was broken there somehow.  Notice how traffic coming from the ramp in front of the parallel ramp continues to move and flow correctly.

Hope this helps.

Blue Lightning

Checking with drawpaths I see no issue.

However, this has reminded me of an issue I ran into once before where the AVE-4 ends in a T with an OWR-2 (no paths), which was fixed when I patched the game. Have you installed the EP1 patch?
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

mike3775

Try demolishing the other Avenue interchanges and connect the parallel ramp Ave to the main drag and see what happens.

You may be experiencing the issue of to many ramps in a small area, which plagued me all the time when I used MHW and had lots of exits all the time.

Cire360

That highway has so much usage its in the yellow, I did remove the overpass ramps as suggested, and connected the parallel ramp to the main drag, it does not function, the highway turns green except where the parallel ramp is connected which shows as 'grey' (no color).

As for what version of NAM i have its um April patch release which was suggested to me in a different thread for use of HSRP.

Anything else I can do let me know, and as always thanks.

Tarkus

Go into your game install directory (typically C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps), right click "SimCity 4.exe", and select "Properties" from the little menu that pops up.  This will bring up a window that should have a tab on it that says "Details"--you'll find the version number there.  If the game is patched, it should show a version number of 1.1.638 (with the EP1 patch), 1.1.640 (with the nightlighting patch), or 1.1.641 (the Steam/digital download version).  I believe the unpatched version is 1.1.610.

I should also point out that this appears to be a RHD game.  I do seem to recall that this particular interchange was problematic before installing the 1.1.638 fix (which had a lot of path fixes in it), so it's possible that's what the issue is.

-Alex

Cire360

I had to look in the backup directroy for details, since i used some program that altered the exe to prevent it from crashing to desktop so much.  But yes it does appear to be the unpatched version at least according to the backup one.  My current one doesn't appear to have any version available on it.  The one in the backup reads as File version 1.1.610.0

Could this be the problem?

mike3775

Quote from: Cire360 on June 12, 2012, 02:11:09 PM
I had to look in the backup directroy for details, since i used some program that altered the exe to prevent it from crashing to desktop so much.  But yes it does appear to be the unpatched version at least according to the backup one.  My current one doesn't appear to have any version available on it.  The one in the backup reads as File version 1.1.610.0

Could this be the problem?

It sure seems like it may be, since Alex stated it should read 1.1.638 (with the EP1 patch), 1.1.640 (with the nightlighting patch).

Here are the links here for those two patches
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=16  (EP1 patch)
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=14  (Nightlighting, scroll down to second option, make sure to update to version 1.1.638 first, as its required for this)

Hope this helps

Cire360

Wee, that solved the problem, really sorry for thinking this was a bug, and apologize for my uber newbieness.  Thanks to all for your help, now if you excuse me I have a city to take care of.  ;D