• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Request for permission to release a custom RUL file

Started by Wilfried, May 27, 2012, 11:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilfried

Dear NAM Team members,

I would like to ask you for permission to release a plugin that contains a modified NAM30 RUL file.

The modifications concern only the PED MALL section. The plugin changes the look of some of the default Ped Mall tiles to those of the SFBT medium wealth Park Set, for which it contains a custom RUL file modified by Fluggi and me. It also contains TE lots (done by me) with custom paths (done by Fluggi) to connect with the puzzle pieces. We made this two years ago for an MP but didn't take development any further until recently.

The purpose is to have nice, soft-curved, functional pedestrian walkways, or pseudo-bikeways, that fit in with the SFBT $$ Park Set.

You can have a look into the file here: http://www.4shared.com/zip/N0MAy_uG/zzz-Fluggi_WW_SFBT-Funktionale.html

Thanks!
WW

MandelSoft

Well, there are two problems...

1. I can't access the file. Use something like DropBox instead, because I know the "Public"-directory works for everyone.
2. To quote myself:
Quote from: mrtnrln on August 18, 2010, 11:11:40 AM
7.3.1. Important notice before editing the RUL 0x10000000 file
The RUL 0x10000000 file is a quite delicate file and may cause CTDs on error. It's strongly recommended to let a NAM member know that you're editing the RUL 0x10000000 file. Not only can the NAM Team prevent errors, but they can also help you with editing the RUL 0x10000000 file and give you tips. Also, there is one Golden Rule:

DON'T RELEASE YOUR OWN VERSION OF THE NAM CONTROLLER IN PUBLIC! EVER!
ONLY THE NAM TEAM SHOULD RELEASE A PUBLIC VERSION OF THE NAM CONTROLLER.

We like to keep things central to make sure the files contain as less bugs as possible and that everything is compatible with each other. We don't like to have a dozen NAM Controllers hanging around with minor changes, but with no compatibility with each other. Following this Golden Rule will prevent much trouble and people asking why their mods don't work. An advised way is to post the RUL 0x10000000 code on the corresponding topics, so the NAM Team can incorporate it in the Controller and debug the code. Also, as said in Chapter 3, you should reserve IDs.
In summary, this "extra" controller may do more harm than good, and it's confusing for NAM users (especially new ones) of there are multiple controllers around. Besides that, since we can't access the file, we have no further information about the IID-scheme and the RUL0 changes. The only thing we can do is adding the code to our own NAM Controller if further information is provided.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Wilfried

Quote from: mrtnrln on May 28, 2012, 01:16:08 AM
Well, there are two problems...

1. I can't access the file. Use something like DropBox instead, because I know the "Public"-directory works for everyone.
Please try again with this link. (4shared seems to be down now.)

I can see why you don't want random people to release custom RUL files (which is why I'm asking ;)). The changes are properly made and tested, though.

Blue Lightning

Can you post the code that was added/modified? Searching for either of your usernames didn't bring up an entry, and looking over the pedmall sections I didn't notice anything (although it was just a cursory glance; I don't have my diff software installed right now)
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Wilfried

Quote from: Blue Lightning on May 28, 2012, 05:22:44 AM
Can you post the code that was added/modified? Searching for either of your usernames didn't bring up an entry, and looking over the pedmall sections I didn't notice anything (although it was just a cursory glance; I don't have my diff software installed right now)
I told you the changes were properly made. :D

It's anything with 'Parkway' in the description line (5 pieces - straight, curve, X, T, diagonal).

Blue Lightning

Ah, changed IIDs and fixed a bit of rotation. It is done well. As for having this implemented, I'm not quite sure how to go about doing it - we might add a few "blank" pedmalls that anyone could override with their own paths, textures, models, etc.

Otherwise I'm thinking of a "RUL-Compiler/Manager" program that lets users easily implement new RULs from downloads... I'll have to work on that idea.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project