• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Lower Countries

Started by I9113N, March 09, 2009, 05:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I9113N

Brief Description:
      The Lower Countries is a fictional union of fourteen countries found on the Latusian Peninsula. Officially, they are all part of the Latusian Union, (LU) a union similar to Earth's EU. The union is known for being advanced in subjects such as education, health care, alternate energies, and the financial sector.

If you're on the go, follow the Lower Countries on Twitter!
Also, be sure to check out the LU's wiki page.
General Info:

Please note that all updates, both MD and Daily Laty, are in chronological order, not alphabetical.

Latest Update:  Kanne Part 4, Ven Sansdorf & Mont Lusailles

Small Map & Key:linkie
Large Map (no "terra" overlay):linkie
Large Map (with "terra" overlay):linkie
Regional Map: linkie
Climate Map: linkie
Population Density Map: linkie
Land/Water Feature Map: linkie
Auchtenaliastov Map:  linkie
Pol-Monterre Map:  linkie
Kanne Language Map:  linkie
Fancy Map Condensed:  linkie
     Fancy Map Large:
     Eastern Seaboard:  linkie
     Midlands:  linkie
     Northwest:  linkie
     Southwest:  linkie

March 21, 2009:  linkie
March 29, 2009:  linkie
April 13, 2009 (& special article):  linkie
April 19, 2009:  linkie
TDL Special: The Effects of Korgia & Hunsinia  linkie
April 26, 2009:  linkie
May 2, 2009:  linkie
June 3, 2009: Traveler's Special  linkie
August Election!! August 1, 2009:  linkie
September 21, 2009:  linkie

other
The Latusian Postal Service:  linkie
Durrio, Capital of the LU:  linkie
The Confusing Language of Szemette:  linkie

Svierestal:  (This post)

Jonkoland Part 1:  linkie
Jonkoland Part 2:  linkie
Jonkoland Part 2 (cont'd):  linkie
Jonkoland Part 3:  linkie
Jonkoland Part 3 (cont'd):  linkie

Datsun Part 1:  linkie
Datsun Part 1 (cont'd):  linkie
Datsun Part 2:  linkie

Dostrovek Part 1:  linkie
Dostrovek Part 2:  linkie
Dostrovek Part 3:  linkie
Dostrovek Part 4:  linkie
Dostrovek Part 5:  linkie

Pol-Monterre Part 1:  linkie
Pol-Monterre Part 1b:  linkie
Pol-Monterre Part 2:  linkie
Pol-Monterre Part 3:  linkie
Pol-Monterre Part 4:  linkie

Kanne Part 1:  linkie
Kanne Part 2:  linkie
Kanne Part 3:  linkie
Kanne Part 4:  linkie

Off-Topic Nonsense:
Return from Shanghai:  linkie

Specific Maps:

Regional Map:

The LU is divided into four regions: the Northwest, the Eastboard, the Midlands, and the Southwest. These regions also determine where airlines can and cannot fly, although all airlines go to major cities. Each region has a specific airline, plus some privately owned companies. NW: United Ruska, EA: Eastboard Air, MD: Falkair, SW: Trans-Latu Air. In addition to the regional are the privately owned airlines Lutuja Air, Air Neva, Poklinj Airways, New Ruska Air, Svattonj Aeroflat, Kisza Aeroflat, and Lumanso Flutje.

Provincial Climatic Map: (averaged)
     Because of sizing, the text in the key is illegible. So, here is what it says, without the colors:

Color      Name           Spring*     Summer*     Autumn*     Winter*     Average Temperature
Light Blue           Marine Temperate             24-1934-2527-1819-1522
Dark BlueMarine Warm28-2739-3129-2627-2329
GreyContinental Cold17-1220-2420-1210-(-12)13
Dark GreenContinental Temperate27-2436-2727-2121-1425
Light GreenContinental Cool22-1828-1818-1616-(-2)17
RedMarine/Continental Temperate          27-2431-2627-2526-2226

*All temperatures are in degrees Celsius, ordered from highest to lowest, averaged.

Population Density Map:

The following map shows population densities throughout the LU. It also shows the names of major cities. Densities are as follows:

Color                High (per sq. km.)      Low (per sq. km.)      Average (per sq. km.)     
Dark Red500010003000
Orange1000600800
Dark Yellow600300450
Light Yellow300100150
White1000N/A

As one can clearly see, the densest area of the LU is the Northwest, followed by the Midlands, then the Eastboard, and lastly the Southwest. Even on a different world, the human instinct to settle near water can be seen here. The only major cities found inland are Wersberg, Vollinburg, and a small pocket of densely populated land in northwestern Dostrovek. Although, one can argue that the reason most inland areas are sparsely populated is because of the three mountain ranges in the LP, which explains the high densities followed by white in Neva, Kanne, and eastern Pol-Monterre. Of course the opposite side could argue that there are no mountain ranges in the Northwest, which is very true. This map is useful if you want to get an idea of what each country will be like when you click the update linkies.  ;)

Land/Water Feature Map:

This map shows many land and water features of the LP. Useful when you want to know what river you're looking at, or what the name of that big lake over there is.  ()stsfd()

On this map, we can see the three major mountain ranges, the Bellatone and Monsolle mountains, and the Saguv Foothills. The Bellatone form the border of Ementrosia and Pol-Monterre, and the Monsolle form the border between Pol-Monterre and Neva, and also engulf most of Kanne. South of the Monsolle mountains is the Ammjet Peninsula, famous for the booming city of Sedjorski. Unfortunately there is a spelling error in the Bay of Sedjorsk. Heading north again and a bit to the west, we see the great Salles Reservoir, with the large river leading out of it, the Addenostoph. Slightly west of the Addenostoph is the Asken river, which spans the height of the LP. West of the Asken lies the River Malay, which originates from a spring in the Bellatone mountains.
     West of the Malay lies the Polish plains, known for the massiv Katujev Forest. Along the coast of the Polish plains is Wersten Bay, Cape Velle, and part of Ammes Bay. Going north through the Bellatone we come to the Ott Akmaarn, which translates into "Great Kettles." These interesting hills and valleys were formed by currents in the Sea of Linin, which were powerful enough to shape the ever-moist landscape before the sea drained away. What is left is a great place to go camping and take a train ride. East of the Ott Akmaarn lie the Sjedo Plains, forming the heart of the Midlands.
     Further east and across the Asken River sits Lake Osjedo, named for the great Ammelian explorer who helped settle New Ammel. Osjedo forms part of the border of three countries, and is not only a famous tourist spot, but now a great way to flee the Falkands if you're a Jewish refugee. Further north of Lake Osjedo are the Eastern Plains. West of the Eastern Plains are the Saguv Foothills. Just north of the Saguv foothills is the Montosia Floodplain, also known as Lisvak Ka Anstualo or "The Fertile Farmlands," as the Montosian soil is very rich. Northeast of the flat Montosia Floodplain are the Vestuack Foothills, which form the northern edge of the LP. Northwest of them are the Chergy Lowlands, home to the cross between the Netherlands and Manhatten.

The Lower Countries is a union-ish type thing, made up of 14 12 different countries, Dostrovek, Malia, Auchtenaliastov, Korgia, Hunsinia, Ementrosia, The Falkands (no L), Neva, New Ammel, Kanne, Pol-Monterre, Datsun, Jonkoland (J's are pronounced as y's) and Svierestal.
Today we will be looking at Svierestal, which can be located on these maps:

This small island nation is comprised of four large and one small islands. I won't show you the main island that has the capital city today, though. The country is famous for its "i could really care less" attitude, crappy bridge building, and lovely biscuits.
A bit of history: Svierestal used to be called the Svierestal Islands, and occupied all of the islands shown above. After a recession coupled with extreme corruption brought the country close to a near civil war, the Latusian Union (the fourteen countries are located on the Latusian Peninsula, that is the name of their union, kind of like the European Union) split the islands into three countries.

Here we have the flag:

About the flag:
The blue symbolizes the water that is the lifeblood of the islands, because the Svierestalians are known for building crappy birdges. The white resembles absolutely nothing, they didn't want to put a different color. The shapes in the blue symbolize the four islands and the castle as seen earlier. The griffin, to them, symbolizes strength and resilience, usually not the case though. The leaf symbolizes their precious trees. And the words "De Kunigg ze Svieste" roughly translate into "The Kingdom of Svierestal" although their definition of kingdom is different then ours. They consider any body of government that controls land a kingdom, so they don't actually have a king or queen, they have a prime minister, who is controversially involved in helping the Datish peoples at the moment...

A bank of fog makes its way over Farringway Island, heading further east towards the mainland...

Here is Boden Bay, a bad place to put your boat. (it gets hit with tons of storms, but it does effectively slow them down, giving the mainlanders time to prepare)

A close-up of the tourist friendly docks:

Gilga Isle's downtown, home to some ugly old buildings built before the breakup of the Svierestal Islands...

An overview of the western part of Gilga Isle:

Constant ferry traffic stirs the waters in the Morrten Isles:

Jakuvich Island, a decent place when it isn't raining, which is nearly never.

The old Sasona Bridge, connecting Jakuvich Island with Gilga Isle.

An old church on Gilga Isle: (and yes it is the photo on the banner)

And an overview of the three isle/islands.

That's it for now.

As a side note, this mayor diary was originally started on another site, but due to lack of activity I have moved it here. That is why you won't get to see the main island with the capital city.

io_bg

Great start! :thumbsup: Looking forward to more!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

rooker1

I9113N,
Great first post, lots of great pics and I love the way you used the stone bridge.  &apls

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Sciurus

I like your city, which's very nice &apls

Guillaume
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Battlecat

Beautiful start.  Thats a lovely chain of island towns you've started with. 

I9113N

io_bg: Thank you! I'm looking forward to showing more!  :P

rooker1: Yes, it looks quite good there. Although it's hard to get it high enough for the all-important ferries to be able to pass under.

Sciurus: Thanks, me too.  :D

Battlecat: Thank you!

Thank you all for commenting! More coming really soon...  ;)

I9113N

You are where?

There, silly!  ()stsfd()

Jonkoland: Part 1, Ferrenjeva Island

Willko de Jonokola!
Jonkoland is known for many things. Within its borders lies the busiest ferry terminal in the world (not in this post), a small spring that supplies 64% of the nation's water, and the tallest building on Ferrenjeva Island! It is also the foggiest nation in the world. :P The people that call it home, the Jonkish, speak a variation of Datish, which they know as Bulluvei. The name is derived from the ancient language of Bullu, which was later renamed Datish.

Here we have the flag:

About the flag:
The blue background represents the waters surrounding Jonkoland. The red stripe symbolizes the bloodshed during the breakup of the Svierestal Islands. The greenish band represents the forests that cover Ferrenjeva Island. Each of the stars represents one of Jonkoland's four islands. The scale represents equality, the lion resilience, bravery, and courage. The words "Fër Pesonnå" translate into "For Freedom."

Government:
After the drawing of borders that followed the breakup of the Svierestal Islands, Jonkoland changed from a Dictatorship to a Constitutional Monarchy, similar to the monarchy it was before it was absorbed by Svierestal. The current prime minister resides in a townhouse in Possit that has a view of the sea. The king and queen, due to lack of space, live in a mansion south of Possit.

A cloud of fog settles over the city...

An agricultural area west of Janska:

Here is the harbor part of Possit:

An old picture of a foggy day in eastern Possit, close to where the king and queen live:

A residential district south of Possit:

The largest hospital for miles around is located here in Possit:

And the central train station, which services all of Ferrenjeva Island's major cities and towns.

Downtown Possit:

The Datsun / Jonkoland border:

A church south of Possit:

A small town east of downtown Possit:

A rainy day in a district east of Possit:

A railway junction and small field north of Possit:

One of the two flower farms located north east of Possit:

A residential and agricultural development east of Janska:

Senatton, a small group of houses serviced by a rail station:

Janska, a town north of Possit:

Forests and housing developments in Janska:

A misty day in the develioments of Janska:

Part of Janska west of the railroad.

Overview of the mainland:

The rest of Jonkoland located on Ferrenjeva Island will be next!

Edit: You can still comment, the next update won't be for a couple of days.... :D

Table of Contents

antimonycat

Very pretty, especially Boden bay and the overview of the islands. The colour from the flower farms make a nice touch too.

I9113N

ecoba: As far as I know everything is installed correctly. It looks alright, there aren't any bugs or anything. Could you explain a little more?  :)

antimonycat Thanks.  ()stsfd()        ... :D

You are where?

There, silly!  ()stsfd()

Jonkoland Part 2, East Ferrenjeva Island

The two towns of Wiendon and Kuretta are both suburban towns, Wiendon having almost no jobs of its own. Kuretta is home to a historical district built in the 1700's.

A thick cloud of fog rolls in from the sea...    (and yes, I will start every update with fog)  :satisfied:

The historical district of Kuretta...

A rare clear autumn day:

To be continued... But you can still comment.  :)

Table of Contents

Battlecat

Another excellent update.  Nice mix of suburbs and farms, great details all over the place here! 

I9113N

Battlecat: Thanks! I try!  ;)

I9113N

You are where?

There, silly!  ()stsfd()

Jonkoland Part 2, (cont'd) East Ferrenjeva Island

Small update, there isn't much to see here.  :(

Small typo, the signs that say "Mirtingrove" should say "Martingrove." Don't know how I let that one get by...  &Thk/(

Martingrove is another suburban / agricultural town similar to Wiendon and Kuretta. A popular tourist spot, this town has a railway station connecting it to Wiendon to the south, and Possit to the west. Many tourists find it hard to navigate, though. The town's people are usually the deciding factor when it comes to local elections or political happenings. Also, many rich Monterrian celebrities reside along the coast here.  :satisfied:

Part three coming to a forum near you!   ::)

Comments welcome.  :)

Table of Contents

NASCAR_Guy

Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

I9113N

Just something I whipped up in Photoshop, a little news update.  ()stsfd()

The Daily Laty

Table of Contents

I9113N

NASCAR_Guy: Thanks.  :)

You are where?

There, silly!  ()stsfd()

Jonkoland Part 3, Svierstal Islands

To be continued...  :)

Table of Contents

Dark_Jedi06

As a member of the SCJU, allow me to give you a (belated ::)) congratulations on become an Observer. I hope to see you active on the forums and you can always feel free to message me if you have question or concern about the SCJU. ;D

Now onto your MD, which I'm rather disappointed to see has so few comments considering it has started off quite nicely. ()what() It certainly has a wonderfully quaint European feel to it and I love the bright colors of the trees and farms. :satisfied:

I only have a few suggestions and those are that you should generally avoid presentation images containing undeveloped zones, signs and to a lesser extent lots under construction. Other then that, keep on trucking. :thumbsup:
...this space to be filled soon...

I9113N

Dark_Jedi06:
QuoteAs a member of the SCJU, allow me to give you a (belated  ::)) congratulations on become an Observer.

lol thanks!  :)

QuoteNow onto your MD, which I'm rather disappointed to see has so few comments considering it has started off quite nicely.
I have wondered about that very often...  ()what() Comments give me great encouragement to keep going, and when there are few or none, then I feel people aren't really anticipating the next update.  :)

QuoteI only have a few suggestions and those are that you should generally avoid presentation images containing undeveloped zones, signs and to a lesser extent lots under construction. Other then that, keep on trucking.
As you will see, I have fixed both those problems.

You are where?

There, silly!  ()stsfd()

Jonkokland Part 3 (cont'd), North Ferrenjeva Island & The Rest of Kensington Island

The people that call the northern tip of Ferrenjeva Island home are known for being slow drivers when there's a foreigner behind them...
The small town of Drmon, (pronounced Dermon) located on the rocky northern coast of Ferrenjeva Island, is home to roughly 200 people, most of which work on the Monterrian island north of Drmon. The town claims responsibility for the up keeping of the Montjo (Monterre-Jonkoland) bridge, which connects Ferrenjeva Island, and the islands connected to it, to the main Latusian Peninsula.

The northern part of Kensington Island is home to a small population of roughly 500 people. It has a great view of Jonkoland's mortal enemy, Pol-Monterre*.

*Pol-Monterre is a noun, to describe anything about Pol-Monterre, or in, or related to, one would say it is Monterrian. If it is in Poland (a province of Pol-Monterre) one would say Polterrian. The "terr" is included to show the superiority of Monterre (everything but Poland) over Poland. (Monterre conquered Poland in the 30's)

Comments very much welcome.  :)

edit: The Lower Countries now has 100,000 people!!!!

Table of Contents

io_bg

The last few updates are really nice! :thumbsup: Great work!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

I9113N

I'd show you Datsun but I'm figuring out how to get the cars to drive on the left... (Datsun is one of three countries that does. The other two are Kanne and the Falkands) So in the meantime you can busy yourself with the Daily Laty from a couple days ago.  :D Not too much news in there though. I also realized that I was interlacing my photos, so they took longer to load. I should probably stop doing that.  :D Although I think interlaced looks better than normal...

edit: The date should be March 29, 2009. Sorry about that, I sometimes lose count.  :)

So next update will hopefully show Yelle on tour in Datsun!  :D

Table of Contents

NASCAR_Guy

Y aren't there no more replies? this is amazing!
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave