• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SFBT Rail Props Timed Props issues

Started by Tyberius06, July 16, 2018, 04:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyberius06

Hi!

I have a question about the timed props in the SFBT Rail Props Pack, which is confusing me a bit. The description says: "Most of the props are also available as timed versions, this is indicated by two numbers (i. e. "7-11" when the prop is visible from 7 AM to 11 AM) in the name."

Well in the last couple of months  I was making my own dependency essential pack using a bunch of creators models and make hundreds of timed props from them, and I was taught that the relevant (Prop Time of Day) examplar should contain the data FROM X hour TO Y hour (like 7,11 - from 7 am to 11 am).
BUT...
In the SFBT Rail Props although in the name it says the time frame is 7-11 (logical), but it was modded as 11,7 (11-7). And all the timed props are like this. And here is the TWIST: I tested them on a lot and they appear on the lot like they were intended as 7-11 and not 11-7. I put onto the same lot my timed props too, which where set up like 7-11, and they appeared as it was intended, 7 to 11. So on the left side of the picture there are my timed props and they are working as they were moded and as their names say. On the right side of the picture you can see the sfbt props, which are working as their names say and not as they were moded...  ()what() ()what() ()what() ()what() ()what()

So now I don't really understand how it works. How can the SFBT rail props show up properly if they were not set up properly? Why are they working?

Thanks in advance!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

vortext

Quote from: Tyberius06 on July 16, 2018, 04:17:48 AM
So now I don't really understand how it works. How can the SFBT rail props show up properly if they were not set up properly? Why are they working?

This can be explained by how the RKT4 works for timed prop exemplars.  To start with, timed props have an active and inactive state as you probably already know. The period for the active state in this case is defined by the 'Time of Day' interval. The inactive state period is simply the inverse of this interval. Now crucially, both the active and inactive state can have 1 (or more) models associated with it via the RKT4. Reps for active state model(s) starts with 0x00000000, the inactive state model(s) reps start with 0x0000001.

Now take a look at the SFTB exemplars again and note the RKT; it has only 8 reps and starts with 0x00000001. Thus this is a single model for the inactive state period. So what is going on here is that the active state period is defined from 11-7, however, it does not have a model associated with it and consequently nothing shows up during this period. Instead, there's only the inactive state model which shows up during the inverse of the defined time period, i.e. from 7-11.

Hopefully this makes some sense because it's a bit of a roundabout way to design timed props for sure. In effect the exemplars define an exclusion period for when the props should not appear, instead of defining a period in which they should appear.

If you're up for a small experiment; set the 'Time of Day' interval to 7-11, and then change the first rep of the RKT4 to 0x0000000. If all went well you should see the exact same behaviour in game! 
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Tyberius06

Ah... Thanks Erik! :)  &apls
It makes sense, I wasn't aware of the 0x00000001 Rep value, one is always learning something new! :) Good to know! :)

Thanks again!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Andreas

I'm not sure why royal set up the props that way, maybe he accidentially started with the "wrong" model and concluded it would be easier just to rotate the time triggers instead. Anway, I'm glad that Erik was able to explain the mystery. I was a bit puzzled at first, too, but it makes sense after all. :)
Andreas