• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: rstarks on March 04, 2010, 08:21:15 AM
i was wondering, is it possible  for you guys to insert a slip road for left hand turns [ im an american, so  for you other guys thats a right handed turn i guess] that instead of interfacing with traffic, goes  under or over the road onto the opposing streets traffic. I can do this currently with nam elevated pieces and the flup but it looks awkward and clumsy.

From looking over your example, I would say that's outside the scope of the this project, at least for the foreseeable future.  It would actually be kind of difficult to do anything less "clumsy" than what you already have.

-Alex

rstarks

Quote from: Tarkus on March 04, 2010, 10:39:48 AM
From looking over your example, I would say that's outside the scope of the this project, at least for the foreseeable future.  It would actually be kind of difficult to do anything less "clumsy" than what you already have.

-Alex

aww, i wish it wasnt, oh well . i wish this project the best of luck with creation and releasage.

@tarkus: you always so nice and helpful, and your more user friendly than the current 32 bit windows vista series! i like you. [ in a platonic of course]  :thumbsup:

j-dub

Using current resources that you have Rstarks, without TuLeps, there is a way to straighten that out somewhat, but its not simple, and involves spilting avenues with the el-rail tool, and drawing 45 degree OWR into the split avenues to make sharper angle turns. It is a little long of a process to take space from this thread to explain how, but a hint, the OWR intersections could stay the same. This looks like it may have not even needed to split up from 3 to 4 tiles wide, but you must have a reason for that, if not, it could be fully straight, without that s-curve, because I have built intersections similar. In the case of MI, I do not see how OWR TuLeps would work here, because I thought MI builds intersections this style to avoid turning lanes. Single tile right turn slip lanes are part of the TuLeps project, and that could eliminate the double right turn lane in your setup. As for one lane underpasses, while possible, that concept is not in the FLUPs development to my knowledge, and is as Alex said out of the TuLeps scope.

TJ1

Why has the TuLEP forum been so inactive and without life since march 5th? ()what()

Tarkus

Quote from: TJ1 on March 26, 2010, 03:10:46 PM
Why has the TuLEP forum been so inactive and without life since march 5th? ()what()

Because there's been nothing to show since then.  ::)  Given that I'm actively involved in three different large-scale projects, it's almost a virtual certainty that one will go into a lull for a period.  Right now, that's TuLEPs.

Rest assured, when there's something new to report on the TuLEPs end, it'll be here.

-Alex

Tarkus

And now there is something to report . . . ::)

Thanks to a little advice on CheckTypes from my good friend and colleague Vince (Blue Lightning), I've now got the Avenue TuLEPs working on the TLA-5 network from the NWM:

-Alex

TJ1

Ryan B.

Winner winner chicken dinner, Alex!  Nicely done!

strucka

Great to see the final stages of these two networks getting put together in a big expansion pack for the NAM. &apls &apls &apls

Starmanw402007

A question about tulep. Would tulep make every intersection a turning line like the Nam or would u be able to choose which intersection can have turning lanes?
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

strucka

I think they'll be plopable. But I'm not sure. Can someone that works on the project explain how will this work?

MandelSoft

They are indeed plopable, so you have full control of the intersection setups  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

MattyFo

Very nice! I like the "wear and tear" in the middle of the intersection!  Any chance of getting a progress report?  10% complete, 50% complete, 99% complete :) ?

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

Tarkus

Quote from: MattyFo on April 07, 2010, 11:09:07 AM
Any chance of getting a progress report?  10% complete, 50% complete, 99% complete :) ?

Giving a completion percentage would be kind of like giving a release date, albeit indirectly, as it might lead people to subconsciously extrapolate a possible date/timeline in their minds.  Additionally, the project is fairly readily scaleable, so the percentages could very easily change depending on whether or not we decided to add more/scale back.

Actually, the plan here is (initially) to scale back for the first release.  Just release a few basic pieces, enough to allow the proper construction of the new SPUIs (Single-Point Urban Interchanges) in RHW Version 4.0 SPUIs, and allow NWM users to have turn lanes (as the existing Road Turn Lane Plugin is completely incompatible with the NWM). 

Much of the more "advanced" stuff that's in place actually works fairly well already (you may have seen Blue Lightning's new CJ at ST, Devlin, which uses TuLEPs quite extensively--all the stuff there works as intended), but there are some logistical issues in organizing and labeling them so they make sense to the end user.  A scaled down release will allow the general public to get used to the idea of TuLEPs and perhaps provide some input on how they'd like to see the myriad of future pieces arranged.

Additionally, there are probably some folks who just want a small set, while there are other "power users" who will want a lot of control to customize every intersection's lane control setup to their liking.  My plan right now is to have a "basic set" could accomplish general purpose needs, while an "advanced set" with all the bells and whistles could let the real roadgeeks have at it.  Since the whole thing is puzzle piece-based, we can exercise that sort of control, as the RUL that controls puzzle pieces has the sort of design architecture that can support it.

I hope that makes some sense and answers your question. :)

-Alex

kassarc16

Tarkus, you almost killed me mentioning BL's CJ. I nearly keeled over after seeing those delectable TuLEP and NWM features.

One question about this: Can the center config in the shot have the middle lane with both left and right turns?

Tarkus

Quote from: kassarc16 on April 07, 2010, 08:49:51 PM
One question about this: Can the center config in the shot have the middle lane with both left and right turns?

Yes . . . though it'll probably be one of the "advanced" TuLEPs features that is planned for after the initial "basic" release:

-Alex

jdenm8

Is there any chance of footpath textures in a later version? Or isn't that possible (I read somewhere that it was)?

Not that I'm expecting footpaths. They're like that sugary stuff they write names with on top of cakes. This is the sponge and icing.

I like the idea of an advanced set too. I'll probably download it to get complete control.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Quote from: jdenm8 on April 07, 2010, 09:31:37 PM
Is there any chance of sidewalk textures in this or a later version? Or isn't that possible (I read somewhere that it was)?

With some clever IID assignment, it's possible to get the Road and OWR-based ones to gain sidewalks when adjacent to zones, much as normal draggable items do.  Avenues have some quirks, however, so it's all-or-nothing on those.  I'm leaning toward putting sidewalks under them, though . . . usually, if a road authority is going to spend time putting in some proper turn lanes on a road that wide, they're going to have some sidewalks in the vicinity of an intersection.

-Alex

MattyFo

You answered all my questions and more!  I am sooo excited for this and especially the NWM!

-Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

Tarkus

Those of you who have been wanting slip lanes all these years . . . your wish will come true. ;)

-Alex