• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Eden: The New Frontier

Started by Terring7, December 13, 2010, 11:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott1964

:o
How do the cars not float away?  $%Grinno$%

samerton

That's very futuristic! Great work  :thumbsup:

bat

Great new pictures of your nice looking cities.
And the overviews are really nice. :)

Nanami

kelis

Very futuristic, Great job my friend,  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Terring7

Tomas Neto: Thanks for you comment :)

SimRisu: Glad to hear that ;D

netmod: The Coruscant style buildings are functional grownable skyscrapers and apartment buildings. Not plopable! ;)
Those buildings are light enough for the game, so no danger for crashing. However other Coruscant style buildings are very complex and too dangerous for the game. Build with care and don't need to worry for everything :thumbsup:

scott1964: Both floating and ground cars can have artificial intelligence and be connected to the Global Martian Network, so no need to worry about car accidents. Sadly there are no floating cars for Simcity 4 &mmm

samerton: Thank you :)

bat: Thank you too :)

976: Thank you too :satisfied:

kelis: Thank you too ;D

"All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This update is mostly a mini teaser about Life-6. This colony is the most dense populated colony and the only one that contain only skyscrapers and apartment buildings. This colony made mostly for Gens, but soon Bals and Cybs moved on Life-6 as well. Life-6 is almost ready, but I need to add some details as well. Oh well, here are some pictures of Life-6...

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

noahclem

Wow, nice work here! I especially like those space shuttles taking off. I guess the .38G gravity really encourages tall buildings   :)  I actually thought one was a space elevator from the first picture it was in!

bat

Another great update!
And the region overviews are really nice. :thumbsup:

io_bg

Those skyscrapers are huuuge! Nice update! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Terring7

noahclem: Glad to see that you like it :)
It's pity there isn't a mod that replaces the Maxis space shuttle with something more futuristic. Something like this...

The Martian gravity is low enough to allow taller buildings. Of course those buildings are not taller versions of ordinary apartment building and skyscrapers. They are arcologies, large buildings that works like mini cities. This is how their interior may look like...

And as about the space elevator, Mars can't have them because of it's moon Phobos. A better idea is a space hook, that works like catapults in orbit.

bat: Thank you for the comment :)

io_bg: Thanks :)

Update 17: Night on Mars

"Kill the light!
Take them out, turn them off, break them down"
Britney Spears

Welcome to 2062 A.D. (93 A.T.)

One of the most dangerous but still most underestimated kind of pollution is light pollution, caused by the extreme use of artificial lights. Lights are needed, but overusing them brings plenty of social and environmental problems. Light pollution distorts both animals and plants in hunting, mating, growing and moving. It also increase crime, distorts stargazing and consume too much electricity.

Even in 2062 A.D. (93 A.T.) the situation on light pollution on Earth isn't so good. There are some tries to reduce this problem, but as you can see...

Mars however doesn't have any problem. The use of full cutoff lighting fixtures and better lighting sources, as well as the re-designing lighting plans, reduced to the minimum the light pollution on Mars. The result is almost dark nights.

O.K., enough talking. Time for the pictures ;D

Gooooodnight Mars!
Goodnight everybody and thank you for visiting Eden :)
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

bat

I like the night views!
The city is looking at night nice, too. :thumbsup:

ricardomiranda

Actually this update has an extraterrestrial atmosphere!

kwakelaar

Some really spectacular images, most fantastic is the image of Mars from space. Very well done.

noahclem

Your city is coming along nicely  :thumbsup:   Thanks for the reply--in sci-fi novels I read the space elevator oscillated to avoid Phobos, though I don't know how possible that would actually be.

Terring7

bat: Glad to see that you like it :)

ricardomiranda: Thanks :) . I'll agree, the night views makes the colonies more extraterrestrial.

kwakelaar: Glad to see that you like it :) . The image of Mars was taken by Celestia, a beautiful 3D space simulator. Free to download and fun to use. The extra addons, like the nebulas and the night texture of Mars, was taken from Celestia Motherlode. The link is in the very beginning of this update.

noahclem: Thanks you for your comment :) . A space elevator on Mars is possible, but I don't want to see Phobos as a space station for the elevator, neither destroyed to make room.

This is the reason of why I suggest the space hooks ;)

Update 18: To the Martian heavens!

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Shelley, Percy Bysshe

Before the update, the useless fact of the day :D

Most of the fictional planetary systems in Science Fiction has a beautiful colourful background, like a galaxy or a nebula.

Sadly, our Solar System is not that interesting. So I decide to download some nebulas from Celestia Motherlode and spice up the Solar System. The Solar Nebula is totally fictional, but it will make the space pictures more interesting.

For now, all the Celestia pictures of planets and spacecrafts will contain nebulas. Here is an example :)

O.K., back to the update. Today I'll show you the skyscrapers of planet Mars. Building taller and taller buildings was something very common on planet Earth, from the legendary Tower of Babel...

... to the modern Burj Khalifa.

In the beginning of the 20th century, a new kind of buildings appears in the blue prints. This time we are not talking about buildings as buildings, but as little self-contained cities. Those structures named "vertical cities" or "arcologies", large buildings that works like mini cities.

The main goal of those buildings is the reducing the environmental impacts of overpopulation by reducing the size of the cities. Earth, Moon and Mars has their own strategies to solve this problem. SimTerrans preferred the colonization of the seas, buildings underwater and floating cities.

SimLunars constructed underground cities, to protect themselves from the dangers of the vacuum space.

The low gravity of Mars however encouraged the SimMartians to build really tall arcologies, as you can see in previous pictures. The beginning was made by the minorgies, minor arcologies that had all the comfort they need. A minorgy looks like a large apartment building, but it also had some civil services and mini shops. They was not exactly mini cities, but still it was a good start.

With more and more Sims settled on Mars, SimMartians need more and more room to build their cities. But if you build upward, you'll solve your problem. So they did it, building the arcoruses. An arcorus is an 1 mile (1,6 kilometers) hight tower, made by the best materials. They has magnetic elevators and mini rail roads inside them, as well as beautiful indoor gardens.

A newer version of the Martian arcologies are mushparks. A mushpark in a mushroom like building with a central park. This buildings can bring cool views of the city and even more room for the shops and homes, even if it need some less room for the base.

Of course this is only the beginning. More arcologies, bigger and cooler, are coming soon. Stay tuned :)
The Choice is Ours
---

Reikhardt

I love those arcologies! The Mushpark looks stunning  &apls

Terring7

Reikhardt : Glad to see that you like it :)

Update 19: Metamorphosis

"I propose that we will turn the universe into a garden."
Anders Sandberg

Planet Earth is a blessed world. Rich with any kind of life, Mother Earth was also the cradle of the mind.

Of course nobody can eternally live in a cradle, as Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky said. Mars is not as rich as Earth. The Red Planet has only a very few number of native plants, as well as only 3 kind of animals. In generally, Mars is a dangerous world. Thin atmosphere, no ozone layer, weak magnetic field, weak gravity, too cold. No liquid water, no oxygen, no suitable ground for farms.

However, Mars is the land of the future. This is where the Resource-Based Economy take place, where everything is available for everybody, without money and other useless stuff. This is where the Cybernated Government take place, where quantum computers liberates the Sims from all kind of tyrannies.

The future belongs to Mars, but the Red Planet is still too dangerous. However an epic project is now under development. The project called "Eden Project" and it's all about terraforming, turning Mars into a new Earth. According to the calculations of the SimMartian scientists, this is how Mars may looks like into the distant future.

To terraform the planet Mars, we need plenty of water and a way to warm the Red Planet. Fortunately, we have both of them. Mars has plenty of water... frozen water, that's it. Sure Mars doesn't have as much water as Earth and Moon, but still in enough.

But unlike Moon and Earth, Mars hasn't water to waste. This is the reason of why SimMartians use mostly the nuclear fission power plants. After the nuclear catastrophes on Chernobyl (1986), Fukushima (2011) and New York (2049), nuclear fission plants banned from Earth and Moon. Mars however just can't survive yet without those plants. This picture shows the only nuclear fusion power plant on planet Mars.

The poles of Mars industrialized heavily, in order to melt and mine the water. For many years on Earth we have gold mining, silver mining, coal mining. Today we have water mining on Mars.

Thanks to nanotechnology, small melting devices warm and melt the water. Some of them turned the water into gas, in order to increase the atmospheric pressure.

In the 19th century, Gold Rush on Earth. In the 21st century, Water Rush on Mars.

Sometimes, nature helps the Eden Project. Meteorites strike the poles of Mars, crushing and melting the ice.

However water mines, nanowarmers and meteorites aren't enough. We need something bigger and faster. And here are coming the plans for the Prometheus, a space station that will heat the Martian poles by firing a powerful warming laser.

Of course with so many space stations orbiting around Mars and its moons, Prometheus will be peace of cake in construction.

And that about the native life of Mars?

All those plants and animals will die, but they'll not vanished. An new generations of those life forms in preparing in the laboratories, thanks to genetics and nanotechnology.

According to the calculations, Mars will transform into an second Earth somewhere in the late of the 22nd century. For now, Mars is a simple humble world, just like a caterpillar.

But everybody knows that caterpillars one day will transform into beautiful butterflies :)

The Choice is Ours
---

Risu

Quote from: Terring7 on May 11, 2011, 03:49:03 AM

Omg, is it.... it is!!! Plymouth Arco! <3

Fantastic update btw. I like entertaining the idea of conquering colonising Mars.

kbieniu7

What a great story. It's so interesting, something other comparing to normal earthly ways of settlement. I was reading it with interest. I wish I had came here earlier. And beatiful metaphor to a butterfly :)

By the way you could warm Mars with emiting tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, using conventional power plants, in order to create greenhouse effect. Maybe it is not so clean solution, but it should be effective too  :D
What is more, I had Mars on my mature exams! I had to find gravity acceleration etc. It follows me today!  ;D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Battlecat

Neat story!  Your work continues to look fantastic!