• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiimeiser

We need more diagonal pieces it appears...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Haljackey

Quote from: pressus on January 09, 2019, 03:37:42 AM
Intersections are getting better, as in this case  :thumbsup:

Now a few general comments on this topic.
Ingenuity is very important. I would like to see here more intersections occupying the smallest area of ​​the city in the game, adapted to the practical, real functionality of the game.
Some projects occupy the area of ​​almost the entire small city in the game. Creating large, expanded visions is not a problem, but the art is to minimize the area occupied and create a good solution. These proposals are not enough. I write this from the player's position of course  ;)

I put a large dump of images on my archives thread - you might like it!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4575.180

-----

Beefing up an existing interchange (prepares for growth further north)

Click for full size.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Haljackey

A new 'tight' parclo A-4 interchange.

I call it tight because I am not using the avenue-RHW ramp pieces; and the TuLEP slip lanes to help reduce the size of the junction.

Click for full size.

Compare to a larger Parclo A-4 on the same road

Want to know why the highways are so close? It's because they split up to the west.

Haljackey

That Parclo A-4 has been modified to accept roundabout connections after I started developing the nearby area.

Click image for full size.

bladeberkman

Somewhere between a stack and a windmill... A Stack-Mill?  ::)

-Blade

eggman121

That is one Uber smooth interchange Blade  :o

I think that is rep+able  ::)

-eggman121

art128

That is a very nice interchange indeed!

Here's an interchange + exit I did a couple days ago.

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dyoungyn

Once again I am so ever so thankful going out to the ENTIRE NAM Team for creating pieces that make interchanges/sections like the below.

CasperVg

Very nice dyoungyn!

Something for highways with much smaller amounts of traffic..
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Seaman

So, I've stumbled uppon this picture in the NAM online documentation:

And I thought, "hey, this gives me an idea!" So here it is:

PaPa-J

Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Alan_Waters

art128

This is amazing!

Actually a lot of toll road exits in Japan are made similar to this, when they don't use the classic trumpet.

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dyoungyn

Actually, this is a GREAT imaginative and creative way to make a new type of slick and smooth mini T Interchanges with only one traffic light.  Great job and thank you for showing.

Tarkus

Seaman, the "Half Diverging Diamond" is really a great design . . . I'm surprised it hasn't really been done all that often in the wake of the DDI's surging popularity, as probably the most cost-effective/efficient way of handling a 3-way interchange between a surface street and a freeway.  In fact, AFAIK, the only Half DDIs I know of haven't even opened yet--there's two under construction on the South Mountain Freeway/Loop 202 extension in Arizona (check out the Desert Foothills Pkwy and 17th Ave interchanges on the Pecos Segment), which is planned to open sometime this year.  The Arizona DOT did a rather nifty simulated flyover video of the whole project, if anyone's curious to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/v/oGbgyeIEvRs

I did actually squeeze in some quality time just playing the game again . . . and did this (which you'll see more of if/when I can actually get Tarkusian Cities going again).  It's basically just a compact T-interchange, with some surface connections very nearby.

-Alex

Seaman

Thank you very much, Tarkus. I do like those videos. Strangely, I sometimes think I am better informed about highway construction in some places in the US than in my own backyard  :D.

Anyhow, I cannot see these videos without thinking about inspirations for some NAM projects.

Thx for the info about the "Half Diverging Diamond" usage in the US. I'm surprised as well that we don't see them more often (at all). But at least, as art 128 pointed out, we can see similar setups in Japan.

While we are at it: may I ask wether something came out of the idea to reimplement the DDI and SPUI for the new NAM specs, yet?

dyoungyn

Here is one that I am just not happy with as need wider elevated ramps.  Note the very short merge area on the RHW 8S.  The adjoining map has a ramp on the edge which leads to this map as RHW 10S.  I needed to lead on this and make this work somehow. 

Ramona Brie

I live near that project and definitely think the half-DDIs are a great choice. They're also the last interchanges needing to be started, too...

In fact, I've built a couple myself!

A few others since I don't post here much... #1 is the end of a partial beltway, #2 actually was formerly a half-DDI (to the south), and #3 is a suburban interchange.

Wiimeiser

Well, unless I stick to trumpet and cloverleaf exclusively I guess I should go back to Maxis Highway. The tutorials being down doesn't help...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Seaman

Quote from: Wiimeiser on February 23, 2019, 02:09:52 AM
Well, unless I stick to trumpet and cloverleaf exclusively I guess I should go back to Maxis Highway. Now even I am surprised I ever learned to walk...

Don't be too hard on yourself. I have to admit, while most of the intersections shown here are stunning and amazing, it's sometimes hard to figure out how to recreate them in your cities. Especially, when you don't have advanced experience with RHW features. Have a look on some tutorials where you can learn how to build interchanges step by step. They sure helped me, when I started doing RHW.

Haljackey, for example, has put a lot of effort in creating something like a compendium on RHW interchange possibilities and more important: a collection of tutorials on how to build them piece by piece (RealHighway Interchange Guide).

Unfortunately, since the main bulk of work was made more than 6 years ago, in most of the tutorials the pictures links are broken and some interchange designs need an update to incorporate the latest NAM features. Luckily, he has some really nice youtube videos, some of them even special tutorials on interchange recreation: SimCity 4: Building a 4-way interchange - part 1 of 3.