• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Diverging Diamond Interchanges

Started by Haljackey, November 26, 2011, 01:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Section 7: Diverging Diamond Interchanges

A lot of people seem to want to see how to build diverging interchanges. The most common form of this design is the Diverging Diamond Interchange, or DDI for short.

Diverging diamonds are similar in appearance to simple diamonds, but they have a unique characteristic: they diverge. This is achieved by a major redesign of the intersections, allowing for all traffic movements to take place without crossing the other direction, except for the interchanging road itself. It intersects with the other direction and heads to the overpass in the opposite direction before heading back to the other side at the second intersection. (For right hand drive, from the right to the left to the right. For left hand drive, from the left to the right to the left.)

Sound complicated? Yes it does, but it's a rather simple interchange design when you break it down.

7.1 Basic Diverging Diamond Interchange

Back to the Table of Contents

Haljackey

Section 7.1: Basic Diverging Diamond Interchange (Created by Haljackey)

Plop 2 diverging diamond pieces. These are found in the avenue/RHW puzzle pieces tab in the roads menu. The avenue stubs should be facing away. You need two tiles of empty space between them.
-I have the super gird turned on to show the two tile gap in greater detail.

Drag one-way road between the two pieces. Be sure they are going in the direction the arrows in the puzzle pieces show (the opposite way).

Place 4 ground to elevated RHW-4 pieces next to the one-way roads in the gap.

Drag your RHW and avenue.

Use 4 RHW-4 to MIS transitions at the ends of the diverging diamond pieces.

Curve your 4 MISs and drag them toward your RHW. I would suggest while you're at it create RHW-4 type "B" ramps right now as well by dragging parallel then diagonally from the RHW-4.
-As an alternative you can always plop 4 RHW-4 type "B" ramps.
-This is how I did it:

For more information on dragging ramps from your RHW-4 see this video:
http://www.youtube.com/v/SirdKOFtwzg
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirdKOFtwzg

...And there you have it. A fully functional basic diverging diamond interchange. If there are texture problems with the MIS networks, simply click on them with the RHW toll and they should fix themselves.

Hopefully this should help out those who are having trouble building this interchange type. Diverging diamonds have better capacity than their diamond counterparts, due to the fact that all interchange movements do not need to cross the opposite traffic flow.

darxtar

Many thanks for this step-by-step guide, Haljackey. Despite this, though, I'm still having no luck. The point where it comes unstuck is in connecting the ERHW-4 stubs over the one way roads, my game just refuses to go over, and instead drops it to ground level, destroying all my work up to that point. Any tips?

UPDATE: OK, success! For the edification of fellow muddy-minded users such as myself, what I was doing was using the ERHW-4 starter piece instead of the RHW-4 to ERHW-4 transition piece. Now this is fine, as long as you a) place them similarly to the RHW-4 to ERHW-4 transition (that is, 2 on each side, in the required direction of travel), and b) connect the starter pieces together in one movement, from one to the other.  :P