• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdly_dood

I must say your video shows your cities much better than a series of images, taking up less space than a mosaic. Not bad at all!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

deathtopumpkins

Very nice video Alex, it helps immensely in placing where everything is in Los Endos.

I do hope to see some more of these from other cities in the future.  &apls
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

EDGE4194

awesome video  :thumbsup: it's so nice to actually see it come "alive".

MandelSoft

Oh, I know the exact path:
First, you go all the way down on the Midland Road to the 50th Street and to Gerth's Way before turning left to the SE 57th Street. Then go all the way north to the Los Endos Boulevard, where you turn right. Then it's a long way down to the Jan Haskins Parkway, where you turn left. Then it's straight up and after the interchange with Highway 93, the movie ends.

Well, you could say I'm a good navigator, right? ;)

Nice video, Alex :thumbsup: I enjoyed it.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

JBSimio

Hi Alex,

I always enjoy your construction updates (although I tend to enjoy them quietly  ::) ), but these last two updates have been a very nice change of pace.  Both the video and the update before it did a great job of showing off your building style.  I like the way much of your developments seems to be in scattered clusters... it's quite different from the way I build and I often find myself studying your pictures for ideas.  I'm always peeking in here and I'll try and remember to say something a little more often!  :thumbsup:

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

bat

Nice video there! And also wonderful update! Your city looks really good! :thumbsup:

sebes

Do you have a no lurking day too? If not - this serves just to let you know that I drop by on a daily basis, and enjoy every bit you did in will do. For me you'll remain NR1 in mapmaking and road-restructuring!   :satisfied:

Oh and what I completely forgot to add in this post: you made an excellent video and I just love the music theme you found with it. And to proove that the map is great: I could even follow the routing of the tour on the thumbnail picture, did not even had to open the map (but of course did it to get a real thrill again of looking at that beauty in detail!)  &apls
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

art128

Alex,
Great video there my friend, it show your excellent network system and that wonderful city of Los Endos.
Also, the map is great too, good work on it.
Looking forward to more.

Take care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Jmouse

Great video, Alex! You have some crazy drivers in there, though! :o It's entertaining and enlightening to see how the network actually functions. As for the route, I recognized some landmarks, but there's no way I could put it all together.

Looking forward to update #50 - give it few weeks and Tarkusian Cities will pass the two-year milestone, too.

Later...
Joan

j-dub

Episodic video Alex! We don't know where exactly you were headed when you ended at that rural highway, but this was a long fly around. I can't imagine how many gigs of space thats taking you. Although, I bet you couldn't do it by driving a car through those roads without getting hit, like other people have in their MD's, except you have alot of exclusive developer prototype network designs here. Now did you use your own music, or the free soundtrack that YouTube provides?

Nexis4Jersey

dedgren

Tarkusian video rocks!  I see heavy rotation for future releases.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

metarvo

Wow, this is great.  Sometimes, a video brings a certain dimension that pictures alone can't.  In addition, I think I have discovered which route you took, Alex.

You started out going south on NE 50th St.  After crossing the Desert Lakes Hwy, you then cross E Los Endos Blvd, SE Ilmore St, SE Telner Dr, and SE Eugene St.

Near Tartan High School, you leave the road, entering a minor road near the school that is not labeled on the map.  You take a left turn and come to an intersection with SE Gehrts Way.  The road curves to the left and you cross SE 50th St, then you turn left onto SE 57th St.  Now going north, you cross SE Hardy St, SE Ivy St, SE Argentum Dr, SE Eugene St, and SE Ilmore St.

When you reach the intersection of E Los Endos Blvd, you turn right.  Now going east, E Los Endos Blvd crosses NE 65th st, curves right, and becomes SE Los Endos Blvd.  The road curves left and SE 71st Ct branches off to the south, and then the road curves right again.

Finally, you reach SE Jan Haskins Pkwy and turn left.  The northbound trip down this road crosses several minor roads as well as the Desert Lakes Hwy.

I may be wrong, but that's my guess.  In any case, this is a great update!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Sciurus

Excellent video, it represents very good an american city, we can see in films, there, in France &apls I hope you understood I loved it ::)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Pat

&apls Alex fantastic Video update here wow!!! Its great to see your city come to life for sure!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

just_a_guy

Great trip. The area somewhat reminds me of the outer suburbs of Las Vegas in a way. The populated areas are scattered all around the area with a lot of avenues that seem to be in the middle of nowhere. That's just how well your city resembles the "average" american city.

Awsome video. Hopefully it won't be the last!
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

It's time for another installment of Tarkusian Cities . . . this time, we'll be looking at widening more of Los Endos Blvd in East Los Endos, as well as some of the development that's gone on out there.

But first, replies:

nerdly_dood:  Thanks for the kind words--I'm happy to hear you liked the video, and I think there will be more to come.  Also, thanks for hitting the big #800--you'll be getting "on the map" here soon . . . I still owe Dustin one for #700, too.

deathtopumpkins:  Thanks, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, and that it helped in placing things.  I'll definitely be doing more of these here soon . . . if anyone has any requests for which city they'd like to see next, I can fast track it. :)

mightygoose:  Thanks, I'm flattered to hear you liked it!

EDGE4194:  I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed the video--thanks for the kind words!  It really does give a different impression of things.

Maarten (mrtnrln):  Thanks for the compliments, and you've got the route exactly!  You are indeed a very good navigator! :thumbsup:

Jon (JBSimio):  Thanks  No worries about being quiet--I'm really quite flattered to hear you've been enjoying things here, and I particularly appreciate the feedback on the "change of pace"--I think I may have to do that a little more often. 

I think you also brought up a very interesting observation on the development patterns, too.  I do find myself putting "buffer zones" of sorts in a lot of my cities--I think it's partly a product of my surroundings growing up, in an area where, at least for a time in the late-1980s/early-1990s, suburban development was co-existing relatively peacefully with agricultural uses and open space/nature.  I've always been keen on trying to strike that sort of balance, and it's been one of my primary motivations in playing SC4, perhaps coupled with my interest in roads and highways.

bat: Thanks for the kind words as always, my friend!  Hope you enjoy this latest installment!

sebes: Hehe . . . I've thought about that possibility--there are an awful lot of lurkers on this MD, and it would be kind of nice to hear from them.  (Note to lurkers: I don't bite. :D

Thank you for the all-too-kind words--I'm absolutely flattered to hear that you've been enjoying what's been going on here, and I'm glad to hear the video was easy to follow along with.  Hope you enjoy this latest update!

Arthur (art128):  Thanks for the compliments--I'm glad you enjoyed everything!

Joan (Jmouse):  Thanks!  I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the video and seeing the networks in action.  And yes, some of those drivers can be a bit crazy.  Perhaps the Los Endos DMV needs to become a bit stricter. :D

j-dub:  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and for reference, the clips are currently taking up about 5.1GB of space.  The actual finished video is only about 33.1MB, though.  Good catch on the ending there, too--as you'll soon see, Jan Haskins Parkway gets extended quite a bit to the north.  I did actually try doing a UDI setup originally, but I managed to completely total the car before completing the route, so I thought I'd be able to control things a little better by just doing a close in flyover.  And the soundtrack I used is part of a song called "Hallogallo" by the 1970s German experimental rock band Neu!, who I've been listening to quite a lot as of late.

Corey (Nexis4Jersey):  Thanks for the kind words--I'm happy to hear you liked it!

David (dedgren):  Thanks for the compliment on the Tarkusian Video--now if only MTV actually showed music videos again.  :D 

metarvo:  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it--and you're spot on with regards to the route, too! 

Guillaume (Sciurus):  Yes, I did understand, and merci beaucoup for the kind words! :)  I'm very pleased to hear I've captured the American city well!

Pat: Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed seeing Los Endos come to life!

just_a_guy:  Thanks!  I'm quite happy to hear that you think I've gotten the whole "desert suburbia" thing down--that's exactly what I was shooting for.  Places like Reno, NV have been a pretty big influence on my building style.  And I don't think you've seen the last of Tarkusian Videos. ;)

This update will examine the City of Los Endos' project to widen SE Los Endos Blvd between SE 71st Court in the Foothill area, up to the Broadvine area (which you'll see in a future update).  This project will widen this entire section of Los Endos Blvd to 4 lanes in order to accommodate an anticipated significant increase in traffic volume resulting from new residential development in East Los Endos.

This first image is of Los Endos Blvd just east of 71st, at the point at which the widening will begin (facing east).  You'll also notice a new street being built as well--that's SE 75th Street, which will be extended as part of a new residential development.

Another look farther out (facing east)

The roads in the development have now been paved, and a few houses have been built (facing north).  The neighborhood has two points of access to Los Endos Blvd, the 75th Street extension, as well as one at the Peterson Road extension.

Another look at the completed 75th Street extension, and more work being done on Los Endos Blvd. (facing north)

A temporary re-alignment of Los Endos Blvd has been built while the curve is reconstructed. (facing north)

A look at some of the work south of the Jan Haskins Parkway intersection. (facing north)

In order to minimize disruption, crews worked on some parts of the project at night.  Here, some crews are hard at work along the section heading toward Broadvine (facing north).

More work on the new wider curve being built south of Jan Haskins Pkwy (facing north)

The finished product at 75th (facing north)

And the final stages of work going toward Broadvine (facing north)

And that does it for this installment of Tarkusian Cities!  Another update is imminent . . .

-Alex

Pat

LoL you love that word dont you Alex imminent hehehee.... Another darn great update here and BTW are we going to see another Video or do we have to wait to 100?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

TmiguelT

Another Awesome Update  &apls
"Another update is imminent" that sounds like a Sci-fi movie line  :D
Sorry for looking on your last 2 Updates. i was kinda tired to post at really night times  %confuso