• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Republic of Sulfur Plains - Update 2 - All aboard the train!

Started by Sheep49, April 16, 2009, 02:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheep49

New MD by Sheep49? Why not. Since Blue Floyd was pretty succesful, I figured out that it would be smart to invent a new one, longer. So I came up with The Republic of Sulfur Plains. The name is a *parody* of Sillicon Valley. Well, the whole MD will be full of those kind of things. Also this time I decided to make it an intersite project - I'm opening threads on SC4D as well as ST. Each site will have some exclusives from me, but since I started here later, you can prepare for some more here than on the Simtropolis. ;)

Let's start with some history... The Sulfur Plains was once a part of the British Empire, and it had a slightly different, true to the original Latin name of that period - Sulphur. But then, during the night of 4th/5th April 1923, the revolution was made, isolating the so-called 'Plains' from the Britain. Furthermore, Great Britain didn't even try to get it back, which was pretty... strange? Anyways... 4 days later, a new Constitution has been written and signed, which officially changed the name of the area to 'The Republic Of Surfur Plains'. It also included a initial administrative division of the country. Even though it seemed that everything was smiling towards the Sultarians, in January 1924 The Civil War had broke out. In 1926, the country was divided into two independent parts - Granborrow Territory and Amersham Bay Area. However, they fought together in the World War II, until 1942, when both proclaimed themselves as the Neutral Country. Then for six years nothing happened, until a new president of the Amersham Bay Area is chosen - his name was John Gilmore. In 1949 he had started negotiations regarding an eventual rejoince of two countries, which ended with success. Thus, 25th December 1949 seen a 'rebirth' of The Republic Of Sulfur Plains. Nothing really important for the 'Plains' history hasn't happened since then. However, in 1968 the country has joined the Commonwealth of Nations, and in 1969 John Gilmore had received a political Noble Award.

And now some facts!
Flag:
Anthem: 'God Save The Queen'
Official Languages: English, French, Polish
Capital: Amersham
President: M. Rutherford
Prime Minister: A. Banks

And now for the MD itself... First of all, the development plan of the northern part of the country.

We're starting in the North Bay Territorry, in a village called Ewshot.

Let this pic be a teaser for the update. ;)

You can also see the update now, going on ST [linkie!]. However, the update here will include some exclusive content, so to see it, you'll have to wait a little more ;)

Hope that I've interested you! Have a great day! :thumbsup:
Piotr

PS. And a little question for ya... I included two names of members of a pretty popular band in this update. A person who'll get the name of the band right first will get a small prize! (No, it's not a subscribtion/SC4D DVD... That would be too easy!) ;)
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

metarvo

Let me be the first to welcome you back to MDing, Piotr.  The history is quite believable, and the flag is designed well.  The power plant also looks very good.  Which one did you use?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Albus of Garaway

Piotr! Some great work going here. I like your flag, but it looks like it has a stain on it! Only kidding... ;)

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

I9113N

Simpson

Nice to see you back, Piotr! Your region is looking superb like the picture  :thumbsup:
Great work my friend !!
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

thundercrack83

Hello, Piotr!

It's so great to see you back in the MDs, my friend! Blue Floyd was always a favorite of mine, so I am sure that Sulfur Plains will not disappoint!

Your flag, map, and power plant look stunning so far, and I can't wait to see where things head from here. You're off to a great start, my friend!

Take care!

Dustin

art128

****, how in earth did I missed your update Piotr ?!?
Nice banner and introduction, the map looks good too my friend. Great flag. The first picture/teaser is excellent, that power plant is very realistic
and original.
Looking forward to more.

Take Care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Sheep49

REPLIES

metarvo: Thanks for your approval ;) The original BAT is by zero7, and can be found on LEX. Just look for the 'Combined Heat And Power Plant'.

Albus of Garaway: Lol, thank you! :D

Sciurus: Merci beaucoup, my friend!

I9113N: Thanks for stopping by :)

Simpson: Thank you! I like the region too. I'm basically making my own version of Whitefall :D

thundercrack83: Thanks Dustin! I too hope that everything's going to be alright with the MD ;)

Art128: Thanks Arthur! I've seen that you've used my power plant in Maroanestra, which is a great thing, since it's nice to see that people see my relot useful ;)

Now, how about moving on to the update? This is pretty much the same stuff you could have already seen on ST, though some bonus content can be found here... Hope you'll like it! :)

Ewshot (Power Plant), a small semi-rural village in the eastern part of the Northern Bay Territory, is a residential estate built for the workers of the Oil Power Plant. It is easily accessed from the A40 road, and is near to the main Ewshot village. Also near is the Ewshot Halt railway station, which also includes a spur with now abandoned branch to the Ruislip High Rd.

Pic. 1-1 - The first part of building a town is to check if everything is corectly terraformed. It seems it isn't, though! Let's use a Mayor Mode valley-making tool and see what can we do to make this creek look better...

Pic 1-2 - Looks better now, doesn't it? Now we can get on to planting some flora...

Pic 1-3 - This is a little area which can be described as a most distinctive in terms of flora. You can find so much here... Which made it a nightmare to plant! Though I think I can be pretty satisfied with how it turned out... or can't I?

Pic 1-4 - This picture depicts the setting of Ewshot Power Plant. The main point of interest is the power plant itself, so let's see it in the closer view, shall we?

Pic 1-5 - A close-up of the power plant, along with some basic info about it.

Pic 1-6 - A closer view of the village, along with the points of interest described. The redeveloping of the village has been designed by the world-known urbanist, John Stanmore, and was the last project he has finished before his death of lung cancer.

Pic 1-7 - An interchange of A40 and the access road is a simple junction which gets a very little traffic most of the time.

Pic 1-8 - To the east A40 crosses the creek by a steel/concrete bridge.

Pic 1-9 - To the west, the road has an intersects with A470, which is the road from which you can easily access Ewshot.

Pic 1-10 - The railway is just south to the Ewshot PP, on the other bank of the river. Here it is seen crossing the Whitechapel Creek, and just to the east is Ewshot Halt station. For that, you'll have to wait for the next update though :P

So that's it. For interested, you can download the power plant relot (altered a lot though) here: [linkie!] (WARNING! The lot has to be altered in LE in order to work properly - you have to rotate the building. The fix to that problem is on the way). Hope you'll have fun with it!

Hope you liked the update! Looking forward to your feedback :thumbsup:
Piotr

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

darraghf

Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

Luke09

Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

TopCliff

Excellent update, because of the great village you've created and the realism of the power plant, but also because of the use of Springsteen. For that, this journal will always be liked by me.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

Nexis4Jersey

Sciurus

Excellent, and beauitful, two words to descrive it, and I forgot impressive &apls. It's very nice of you to answer me a bit in french ;)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture

art128

Piotr,
Beautiful update my friend, excellent use of curves, farms and houses.
Looking forward to more.

Take care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:

Props & Texture Catalog

Sheep49

REPLIES

darraghf - Thank you, hope you'll like this one too! :)

Luke09 - THANK!YOU! (lol, sorry, couldn't resist $%Grinno$%)

TopCliff - Heh, thanks for your kind words! Yeah, The Boss references are simple yet good :D

Nexis4Jersey - Thanks, my friend! :)

Sciurus - Thanks, Guillaume! I was always worried 'bout my french, since everyone tells me I can speak with the stereotypical french accent, though can't talk/write in this language. So thanks for appreciating that :)

art128 - Thanks my friend!

In 1865, around the time London built its first underground lines, the region of Sulfur Plains had been highly industrailised, therefore a huge number of railway branches have been built, both freight ones and passenger lines. In 1924, all of them have been bought by the young country, creating a big grid of steel roads with trains driven by the several operators, but all of them controlled by the country. The company which controls the operators is known simply as SPR[./center]

Pic 2-1 - Ewshot Halt station as seen in the LE. Original BAT is by Ill Tonkso, and can be easily found on STEX. The lot is, of course, my work :D

Pic 2-2 - Ewshot Halt station is the local station, thus the mainline services most often don't stop there. The ststion is also closed on Sundays, so the passengers travelling from or to there are asked to use the nearby Ewshot mainline station.

Pic 2-3 - This area was in 1934, believe it or not, a gas works place, served by its own on track freight branch from the main line (seen in the upper left corner).

Pic 2-4 - The big line of trees cutting in between the farms used to be a branch to Haggerston Market, though it was abandoned in 1987, and eventually demolished year later. The reason of the closure was lack of the interest - Haggerston Market lost competition to the bigger Haggerston mainline ststion, while Ewshot Halt High Level (the place seen at the very left of the pic) was not used as much as the preceding Ewshot Halt.

Pic 2-5 - An Overview of what have we done yet, with the ststion and power plant labelled.

Pic 2-6 - A diagram showing the location of the station with the other two local stations. The sign next to the name of the ststion is the mark for seeing the info on the bottom of the whole map. It says: 'Not opened on Sundays, Saturadys limited service from 6am to 7pm.'

That's it for today I guess, hope you liked it! :)
Piotr

DragonsBay

TopCliff

Another excellent update. You have some good LEing skills. I'm sure they will be used more and more as the villages go to towns, then cities. Good luck with whatever you bring us next!
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

Sciurus

It's very very nice, and particullary the overview. Oh, I never heard you speak french, but I think you've got a Polish accent when you speak (like me when I speak english, I've got a BIG french accent! :D). And sorry to comment your city in english and not in Polish, because I can't speak polish! &mmm &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture

art128

Ewshot halt station looks excellent my friend, the lot is very wonderfully done ! Great diagram too.
Also, the general shot is very clean and nice my friend, I like the farms and your slow development.
Looking forward to more.

take care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:

Props & Texture Catalog