• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Murdock Valley: Update 5 - Welcome to Port Glory; 07/18/08

Started by jimmymac, June 12, 2008, 03:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmymac

Hello and welcome to Murdock Valley. Firstly I want to offer a warm welcome to any of my old "Shaping Invermere Valley" followers, sadly I have to report that Invermere has been indefinately shelved due to a few issues with CTD's when loading some of the cities. However, from that bad new comes some good, both myself and my lovely wife (forum member Serenity086) have decided to start an MD, this time using our combined talents to not only build the cities, but also design the region to go with it.

Here is a little breakdown of our design plan.

The region:

Is 7x10 all large squares,.
Features the entire range of different environments; Coastlines, flatlands, hills, mountains and plenty of rivers.
Uses the Meadowshire terrain mod and the Brigantine water mod.
Uses the Radical Ordinances mod
Uses the latest NAM, including all available plugins
Going to be a combined build between myself and my wife.

As you can see from the above this is going to be a very different MD from my previous one, updates may come from myself, or from my wife (depending upon whose city is being displayed at that time)

Other than that, I hope that you enjoy the MD.

------------------------------

Contents

jimmymac

OK, so in the introduction I spoke about how the entire region was designed from a plan, well I actually have a picture of that plan to show you all so it gives you an idea of what to expect (click for a larger version)

As you can see it is a somewhat simple plan, but it helped us (by us I mean my wife) design the region.

Below is a picture of the region so far, please bare in mind that this is a work in progress and as such not all areas have been reconciled yet. (click picture for larger version)

rhythmandjays

This is a very interesting concept. I hope that this MD comes with much success. Nice region and great update  :thumbsup:

paroch

Good luck with your project.  It's always good to see new MDs start.  I suspect this is the husband/wife MD - which is a nice twist.  Those mountains look interesting, I look forward to seeing what you do with them.

jjune4991

cool. a two person md...from people who actually live together! well the region looks good so far (good job serenity086!). and good luck you two!
Wha??? Where am I? Oh, that's right! I'm here!

Alfred.Jones

This will be a very interesting MD to say the least! That map is looking fantastic! Can't wait to see it developed. I'll be keeping an eye on this :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

serenity086

Hi everyone,
This is my first MD, but I'm glad I am not doing this alone because I would be terrible keeping up with updates. The next three pics are just views of what I've done so far in the past week. 

Here's one of lakes I added within the mountains.  I've also begun to add connecting rivers throughout the region.

My husband thought it would be a good idea to add a river cutting through a mountain canyon.  This picture shows part of that river.

The region picture below shows a big difference from our last update.  I've had to go back to a couple of squares in order to fix the reconciliation issues i keep having and to give the mountains a better flow.  Everytime I look at that pic i keep finding something new that I have to go over which can get annoying sometimes.  Anyways, hopefully in the next update I will be close to finished.

I hope you all enjoyed this update, please go easy on me this is my first time in an MD. See you all next week for another update.

Come Visit Murdock Valley

Simpson

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

girlfromverona

This is looking really good! I look forward to seeing more.  &apls

jjune4991

nice region. and i know what you mean, when the tiles dont seem to look good next to each other. well good luck with it! and what terrain mod are you using?

serenity086

rhythmandjays:  Thanks.  Working along with someone else on an MD is pretty fun. Keep on eye out for more updates soon.

paroch :  Thanks. It was mainly jimmymac's idea to do the MD together, I really like the idea too. I've never played SimCity4 with someone else so this is a nice change. Alot of great ideas can come together.

Alfred.Jones:  Thanks for the compliments  ;D Hope you enjoy the future updates.

Simpson: Thanks. Stay tuned for future updates.

girlfromverona:   ;D  Thanks. I actually can't wait to start building the cities and posting those updates.

jjune4991:  Thanks! Yea, reconciling was always the least favorite part of creating a region to me  :thumbsdown: .
                We are using the Meadowshire terrain mod and the Brigantine water mod.

Come Visit Murdock Valley

wouanagaine

Nice idea both of you and nice to see a couple playing the game at the same time :)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

paroch

Those mountains are looking good there, the snow capped peaks really add to the look.  Looking forward to see how you handle the transition from mountains to sea. 

penguin007

Interesting collabaration there. I love the region which you are terraforming at the moment it looks awesome
Good luck with the MD

Will

jimmymac

Firstly, sorry for the delay in this update, I totally forgot that it was my turn last week until I was not so subtly reminded by my wife  &ops . Plus we have got a little less work done on the region this last week as my wife has just got a new job, so she is very busy with that. I don't want to taint the region with my bad designing, so I left it well alone.   ()sad() Anyways, without further ado lets get onto the replies.

Wounanagaine: I'm glad you like the idea behind this diary, it took me a little time to convince my wife to do it as she is a little nervous about doing a diary. It will be interesting to me when we get into the city building, as we have 2 very different styles.

parach: You can get a better idea of how the transition stats to look in today's update, however we still have some flat land to work on yet. I have to say I am really happy with the way the region is turning out, I couldn't hope for a better canvas to work with.

penguin007: Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you like the design, hopefully you'll stick around for future updates

And now, onto the update.

This week we have but one picture, however it shows the almost completed region, you can really get a feel for how the area is going to look. As mentioned above in the replies the flat land area in the middle still needs some work doing on it to make it flow completely. However all the rivers are in place now and the mountains are completely finished.  Next week we should see the completed region, which I will leave for Serenity to post as it is truly her baby. We may even see, if the interest is good enough, about releasing the map to the community as a way to repay for all the custom content we use.

Until next week, which will see an update by Serenity, take care and enjoy your July 4th weekend (to all the Americans).

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

CasperVg

Heh, I thought I commented here before, seemingly not...
I really like the terraforming you did to the region, it looks really natural and realistic, and I can't wait to see it developed!
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

paroch

That region is looking better and better - bet you can't wait to start on it!

bat

Some great shots of your region there! And nice start of your MD!

Looking forward to more... ;)

jjune4991

very nice almost finished region ;D.  Serenity, you have done a great job!