• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nyhaven: An Engineer's View (Some Engineering Achievements)

Started by woodb3kmaster, January 17, 2008, 06:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodb3kmaster

My fellow Devotees, it's a pleasure to share with all of you my favorite region - Nyhaven. Some of you remember this city from the original CJ at Simtropolis, while many of you are reading about it for the first time. Since I wouldn't want to confuse any of you by picking up where I left off at ST, I'm going to begin by introducing all of you to Nyhaven. In the coming weeks, you'll get to read first-hand accounts of the travels and experiences people have had in and around Nyhaven. Buf first, let's get on to that introduction, shall we?

First, let's have a look at the city's Simlympic park, which was home to the fourth Simlympiad back in June 2007. Here's our first impression:

One of the major venues here is Crown Insurance Park, where the Nyhaven Regals play their home soccer games. This stadium was host to a number of Simlympic events back in June, including part of the soccer tournament.

When the Sim world's finest athletes were here, Nyhaveners housed them in style with these high-rise towers. Now, the city has opened them up as affordable living for low-income families.

The park is positively brimming with athletic opportunities, made all the more accessible by the row of hotels along its northern edge.

Of course, there's much more to see in Nyhaven than the Simlympic park. Locals and tourists alike enjoy the views from the top of the South Point Observation Tower, the tallest in the Cascadia region.

And if you still can't get enough of sports, you're welcome to watch the city's professional teams take on all comers in the stadiums of Sporthaven, located near Midtown Nyhaven.

As part of the Simlympic preparations, Nyhaven International Airport received a futuristic new terminal, serving dozens of international cities - maybe there's a flight to your own hometown!

Nyhaven is well-protected from outside threats by its own base of the Lower Columbian Royal Navy. Some of the largest ships the kingdom owns call the city home.

Smaller ships, like these destroyers, make regular patrols along the Columbia River, providing a reassuring sight to the citizens.

An invention of earlier city planners, the city's belt of parkland provides a variety of wide, open spaces for Nyhaveners to relax and take in some fresh air. Local residents appreicate having a park nearby.

The centerpiece of the park system in Ridgeland Park, which is situated due east of downtown. It is accessible through a number of transportation options, such as the Nyhaven MetroRail's Eastern Line, which you can see in the bottom right corner of this image.

Not all of the green space in the parks belt is necessarily a park. The Rossmore Golf Course occupies part of the belt, not too far from Ridgeland Park. The well-heeled love living nearby.

And now, it's time for this lovely mosaic of downtown:

Coming soon: our first in the Letters from Nyhaven series.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

DFire870

Yay, it's here! Welcome again to SC4D, and I'm glad you decided to bring Nyhaven here. The updated city looks great, and you have a nice mix of Maxis and custom content.

I was wondering, what building/arena is that in Image 4? I've never seen that before.

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Tarkus

Hey, it's awesome to see Nyhaven here.   :thumbsup:  That Simlypics park looks absolutely fantastic, and I love how you used dmscopio's BATs in there.  That former Simlympic housing really sticks out there as well--I've always liked to stick isolated much taller buildings in otherwise low-rise areas for the sense of contrast--that really works well as a visual effect.  The mosaic is very nice, too. 

And I also see you have the Columbia running through your region as well, which I can definitely relate to, being from Oregon.  I'm guessing from the sounds of it your region is supposed to be somewhere vaguely between Portland and the coast, but on the Washington side?

Looking forward to getting reacquainted with Nyhaven, and I hope to see some of your legendary roadgeek updates as well. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Filasimo

simply amazing! welcome home buddy! cant wait to see more updates from this great city of yours!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Pat

WOW Wood you have come on over here sweeeeet!!! I cant wait to get all caught up with Nyhaven...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

BigSlark

Nyhaven at SC4D!? I'm very excited to see you starting up here and welcome you to the site with open arms, woodb3kmaster. I, too, am a roadgeek and I'm looking forward to the first update!

Cheers,
Kevin

tooheys

Well I'm a first time visitor to Nyhaven and the introduction is certainly impressive.

You obviously had a great following at ST based on the previous comments and I'm looking forward to experiencing the Nyhaven journey.

Cheers

Dave

bat

Welcome to this site!!

And really great first pictures (here) of Nyhaven!! Great work on the Simlympic park, airport and the other places! :thumbsup:

Shadow Assassin

Yay, Nyhaven's over here. I was wondering whatever happened to that highway... [404, I think it was]
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

krbe

Sweet, open areas and a downtown exactly the perfect size... :thumbsup:

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on January 18, 2008, 04:57:19 AM
Yay, Nyhaven's over here. I was wondering whatever happened to that highway... [404, I think it was]

Highway 404: Not Found

woodb3kmaster

First off, let me address those of you who are familiar with Nyhaven from ST.
As part of my introduction of this MD to Devotion, I've decided to do a brief segment called "Letters from Nyhaven", as you no doubt noticed when you saw this thread today. Don't worry - it'll only be a few updates until my signature Engineer's View returns. Just hang in there for a couple weeks and the roadgeekery you know me for will be back to stay!

And now, the update!
Welcome to Letters From Nyhaven. Today, we get to see the city from the perspective of a college freshman just starting at the University of Nyhaven...

Mom,

I'm still getting settled here at the university. So far, I'm pretty happy. I ended up with a dorm room that has a terrific view of campus, downtown, and even the nearby Uni Prep. My roommates are chill guys, too.

I've already had a tour of campus as part of orientation. It's pretty sweet. There are tree-lined paths going everywhere, and the quads are always busy.

The buildings my classes will be in are mostly on Sigurdsen Quad, near the campus museum. A lot of the liberal arts departments have their offices in these buildings, so at least I won't have to hurry across campus to get to my next class.

There's plenty to do off-campus too. University Avenue is one of the hotspots for student life, what with all its shops and restaurants.

Tenth Street is nice, too. There are always good movies showing at the Bonaventure, or so I'm told.

Downtown is only a short subway ride away. The marina and waterfront shops are a fun place. My roomies tell me the waterfront was extended into the river just a few years ago.

One of the coolest places on the waterfront is the Broadway Pier. There's a sweet seafood restaurant at the end of the pier.

Sometimes we like to go to Greektown, which isn't far from the dorms. The food is great!

A little further afield is Rossmore Lake Park. It's a nice place to get away from all the busywork that's part of being in college.

Tomorrow I'm going to the performing arts center. They say the theater department here is out of this world. I'll let you know how it goes.

Love,
Shane

Replying to Replies
DFire870: Thanks for the kind words! That stadium is apparently called Canderra Stadium, by kei. I don't know, but it might be on the STEX.
Alex/Tarkus: You're right - it's in the Columbia delta, to be exact. After just a couple more updates, you'll get to see a familiar sight (hint: it involves your great work with the RHW).
Ryan/Filasimo, Pat, Kevin/BigSlark: Glad you liked the intro! I hope you enjoyed this update as well.
SA: Krbe beat me to the punchline. Unfortunately, Highway 404 was part of the first version of Nyhaven, which got wiped out when I had to reformat my hard drive.
krbe: Thanks! I try to make Nyhaven look realistic.

Nuclear City - 5/8

thundercrack83

You're off to a fantastic start here, woodb3kmaster! I'm caught up with your first two updates and I loved all the stadiums you've used in the first one! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you've got for us next!

Tarkus

Another excellent update--that's a very believable college campus you've got there.  The downtown looks like it has a nice feel, and the pier is also quite realistic looking.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done with the RHW, too.

-Alex (Tarkus)

BigSlark

Well done update. I've always been a fan of both your development and your writing style. While I'm a member of the "moved away for college club" I actually ended up in small and rather boring city. After seeing Nyhaven's university and surrounding areas I'm really, really jealous!

Cheers,
Kevin

bat

Wonderful new pictures there! And great update!! :thumbsup:

DFire870

Another great update, good job with the university campus. I can't wait for the Engineer's View to return, that was always one of my favorite parts of Nyhaven.

And thanks for the info on the stadium. I couldn't find it on the STEX, so I guess I'll have to hunt around on some of the Japanese websites.

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Pat

WOW wonderful Update and good to catch up on Nyhaven!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

woodb3kmaster

Well then, after a month's absence I have come back to apologize for the lack of new updates. I have to admit, I've had a good deal of writer's block concerning this MD, not to mention a bit of RLS to add to things. However, you can rest assured that, before long, some updates to Nyhaven will be coming your way.

First, though, I have a technical issue that I need some help with. The city tile that contains downtown Nyhaven is in a serious tailspin with its residential demand. I've switched to one of the new NAM traffic simulators, which I thought would help, but to no avail. I've also tried plopping more CO buildings downtown, and I've even used the old Super Demand mod in an effort to get some positive R demand in any wealth level, but the demand levels just won't budge. I have a sinking suspicion that there may be something wrong with the city file, but I certainly hope not.

So then, what I need from you all is some advice on what to do next. Maybe it would help for someone knowledgable to actually look at the city file, though I don't know who in particular might be able to discover anything from that. At any rate, don't hesitate to give a suggestion; it can only help!

Thanks for your continued support! With your help, you'll be reading more updates in this space soon.

Nuclear City - 5/8

Tarkus

woodb3kmaster, no worries about the lack of updates--RLS gets to all of us at various points.  I know all too well. :D 

I'm sorry to hear about your R demand problem as well.  I can't say for sure, but my guess is that the problem may somehow be Plugin-related.  There may be a Residential building you have in there which has skewed values, throwing off the RCI Simulator.  Also, are there any other mods in your Plugins which might affect demand (besides the Super Demand)? 

I'd also recommend looking into the CAM, if you haven't already.  It really does help balance things out and makes gameplay a bit more realistic and enjoyable, regardless of what type of city you're trying to build.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Earth quake

Excellent update, It's more realistic and It's beautiful. &apls