• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Heerlijkheid 's-Gravenveen

Started by Serkanner, October 19, 2007, 07:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serkanner

A long time ago ... on another website, there was a city journal named Graafsticht. This experiment was my first real attempt to make a Dutch looking city.

To my big surprise it was rather popular and even to this day some people still remember it. Graafsticht doesn't exist anymore. Some pictures on my HD remain as silent witnesses of its former glory.

But there is light ahead  %confuso

... and I would like to introduce my very first ( and only ) Mayor Diary here on SC4Devotion:

Heerlijkheid 's-Gravenveen

Before a first "official" update I have some teaser shots t or show you. I hope to gain some interest for the near future in which I will show and tell more about the Heerlijkheid. There is still a lot to be done before I can show "larger" picture of the city, but here are these very first snap-shots of 's-Gravenveen.

Have fun!

BarbyW

Look forward to seeing more of this.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

RippleJet

I love canals... I never build them myself... but I love to see how others are excelling at them! :thumbsup:

vester

A very Dutch MD.

Looking forward to see more of this.

sebes

Trots op Erik !!!

Very well made my friend: an excellent choise of buildings, street textures and canals!

Just missing the people on the streets ;)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

capo

Looking good!

It looks now 2 MD's are representing our country. I'll be sure to check this out often for more, maybe we can inspire eachother :)

The complete history of Evergem ->My Mayor Diary <-
Come and visit Paroch Plein!

douwe

Very Dutch looking city.  Reminds me of the small cities I've seen on visits to the Netherlands.  Something about it reminds me of Dokkum or perhaps Snits (Sneek in Dutch).  Heerlich!

I'll be popping in here for visits for sure.

Hup Hup Holland!

Groetjes, Douwe.
"As 't net ken sa 't moet, dan moet 't mar sa 't ken"
Old Frisian Proverb

szymcar

Great! ;) I like it. Dutch cities always be my favourite. Good luck!

rooker1

Super start.  I don't think I saw the other CJ at the other site.  I'll have to watch for this one.

&apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Yoman

I would suggest getting some cars on those streets but otherwise an excellent start that has interested me alot.

nedalezz

Great start...the brown brick buildings in the first couple of pics are really nice.

thundercrack83

Great start here, Serkanner! I can't wait to see what you've got planned for future updates, and this also gives me the opportunity to ask a question I've been curious about for a while. What does the "'s-" mean? I've seen it before and always wondered what it meant!

Nardo69

A long, long time ago...
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.

I began my latest update in Urland some days ago with the first three lines of Don MCLean's great Song "American Pie", and it suits fine here, too, as I am one of those who did not forget Graafsticht from the other side ...  ()stsfd()

Great combinations of Kwakelaar's Schiffenberg monastery BATs with PEG's cemetary props .. so obvious yet so hard to see ... just great ...  :satisfied:

Welcome back to the CJing / MDing!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

kwakelaar

Fantastic looking teasers, and yes of course we do remember Graafsticht. Very much looking forward to this.

flame1396

Not a big fan of the european CJs but.... well I think that this will be worth ckecking up on again.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

Serkanner

Quote from: thundercrack83 on October 19, 2007, 02:46:15 PM
Great start here, Serkanner! I can't wait to see what you've got planned for future updates, and this also gives me the opportunity to ask a question I've been curious about for a while. What does the "'s-" mean? I've seen it before and always wondered what it meant!

The 's is actually short for "des" and "des" is an old article in the Dutch language, comparable with German. Dutch language evolved strongly both in grammar and in spelling. One of the things is that we have removed some of the "cases" from the language.

In some city names however it survived in the "official" spelling. Examples are: 's-Gravenhage and 's-Hertogenbosch. The "easy" and modern way to spell these names = Den Haag and Den Bosch

My use of 's-Gravenveen is based on this archaic use of the Dutch language ( and I like it better then the more modern spelling )

bat

Wonderful start there, Serkanner! Great work on these first pictures. :thumbsup:

sebes

Quote from: Serkanner on October 19, 2007, 04:58:10 PM
Examples are: 's-Gravenhage and 's-Hertogenbosch. The "easy" and modern way to spell these names = Den Haag and Den Bosch

What wake me realize that 's-Gravenveen probably will ease out into Den Veen...   ()what()

hmmmm .. thàt does not sound very sexy... I think we should start a campaing on the cities image major!   

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

capo

Quote from: sebes on October 20, 2007, 06:58:37 AM
What wake me realize that 's-Gravenveen probably will ease out into Den Veen...   ()what()

hmmmm .. thàt does not sound very sexy... I think we should start a campaing on the cities image major!   

You are right about that! Den Veen indeed doesn't sound that appealing..... But maybe 's-Gravenveen is called 't Veen by it's local inhabitants?

It would be good to start a national campaign though to give all our Dutch cities a nice commercial boost through tourism, I don't know about you guys..but I have plenty of beaches with space for our German friends to dig holes in :D

The complete history of Evergem ->My Mayor Diary <-
Come and visit Paroch Plein!

sebes

Quote from: capo on October 20, 2007, 07:33:50 AM
But maybe 's-Gravenveen is called 't Veen by it's local inhabitants?

Probably pronounced as "'t Viiiiin"  Kan't nog erger ?
(no translation: I thought Den Veen was bad but Capo outdid it... ;)

Ok, sorry Serkanner for hiking your MD. Back to you and 's-Gravenveen  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN