• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Badger Bay - A Work In Progress

Started by tkirch, October 11, 2007, 07:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkirch

I worked and terrafromed this map.  It has some common elements from other maps and from my own ideas.  What I have is a map with all large squares 16x15.  I am calling this Badger Bay.

First an Overall View ...

Next the map broken down into squares so you can get the overall picture of it ...

I have named a few of the key water spots.  As we go along more streams, rivers, and or lakes can and will be added.  Things may change do to terraforming once in the process of development, but for now you get the main idea ...

Badger Bay will be broken down into counties.  Here below you will see how the counties will be broken down into ...

Before we get going any further I should let you know how I play SC4.
1.  I use a lot of custom content.  If you have questions about what a building is, I will try to get you the name and the builder.  All content in here has been provided by many great creators and I thank each of them completely.
2.  I use money cheats.  I am not going for an economic model, I am going for aesthetics.  And for that I need money.  So I use the Moolah cheat. 
3.  If you have suggestions give them to me ... constructive criticism can only help.  Unconstructive criticism is just plain mean.  Please don't be mean.  Like one of my favorite sings Big Kenny says "Love Everybody."
4.  I am building as I go along.  So far I have two large squares done and am moving along.  You will get a story and I will try to make you apart of the process.

There are many people to thank and as some of their buildings you will see and I will try to thank them.  I can only hope that you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed making this.  So off we go....

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Click on Subject Below To Visit Page

tkirch

Sheboygan County is nestled in the northwest of Badger Bay.  The main city in Sheboygan County is Sheboygan.

How did Sheboygan get its name?
Many different explanations have been made regarding the origin andn meaning of the name "Sheboygan. "Tradition says that an Indian chief resided at Sheboygan in the early part of the nineteenth century who was the father of a large number of daughters. Fortune, however, had not yet graced his household with a son. One day after returning from the hunt his wife ran forth from the wigwam to greet him and present him with a newly born babe. The stalwart chief looked at it sharply and (so the story goes) replied in a disgusted manner -- "She-boy-(a)-ga(i)n!" Although the tradition is very interesting, it has no historic basis and must be discarded as the true explanation of origin of the name.

This word has an Indian origin. There are a number of words of two principal meanings from which it may have been derived. One series is said to mean any hollow object such as a pipe stem, reed, cane stalk, or hollow bone; or that with which one perforates or pierces through, hence a needle or awl. The other meaning refers to a passage away by water, or a riverdisappearing underground, or a noise underground.

SHEBOYGAN COUNTY - Area 1 ... You will find this area on the edge of Devil's Lake.  This is where you will find the largest city in Sheboygan County.  Sheboygan.  It is the county seat and it is a bustling city of approximately 42,000.

The Square ...

An Overview of the area ...

Another overview of the area we will build on first ...

An overview of the transportation in this area ...

As you can tell the City of Sheboygan has I-90 running through the length of it.  At the bottom I-90 connects with the E-45.
an I in front of an interstate means that it goes international.  In otherwords it goes off the map into the SimCity world.  An E in front is an internal interstate or expressway.  It only travels inside the boundries of Badger Bay. 

Sheboygan has a rail system, though it is mainly for freight.  A large bus network is throughout the city and helps with many transportation problems.  I personally don't see this city growing larger than 50,000.  You will also notice on this map a rural area of farms.  The famrs on the outskirts of Sheboygan and are in the small town of Edens.  Edens has a population of under 500 and is mainly a farming community.

Sheboygan is a natures paradise.  Much of the shores of Devil's Lake is not built upon and the creek running though town is Cedar Creek.  Along both Devil's Lake and Cedar Creek you will find walking/biking trails.  Sheboygan has an extensive trail that runs from the center of town down along Cedar Creek then along Devil's Lake and ending up in Lake Park on the cities northwest side. 

In the next few pictures I will show you a little of Lake Park ....

Bird's Eye View of Lake Park

Park Entrance

A few of the park higlights...

tkirch

The City of Sheboygan downtown is in the City Centre.  The City Centre is approximately in the middle of Sheboygan and houses a large plaza park(Thank you BSC).  It also has many government buildings including the County Courthouse, Police Headquarters, University of Badger Bay-Sheboygan County, the hospital and other buildings.

An overview of City Centre

A few pictures of Plaza Square

And now a view of police headquarters which is nestled up to Plaza Square

The County Courthouse

A few of the buildings in City Centre ....

City Hall(A SimGoober Production)

Kings Market, A place for farmers and merchants.

The University Library

The Sheboygan Main Library

And one of my favorite buildings.  The Mitchell Building.  Why a favorite? Its a Milwaukee Landmark.  And I live in Milwaukee.
Look in the windows, you can see desks.

And one last part of City Centre, Cam Plaza

Jmouse

I like it, tkirch. The map is awesome, and I appreciate your combination of photos at different zoom levels along with the transport map. The parks are nicely decorated as well.
You've worked hard to make a good first impression, so keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan

tooheys

That's a nice looking region. Great work with the development to date, I like the central concourse/plaza, well done  :thumbsup:

QuoteBefore we get going any further I should let you know how I play SC4.
1.  I use a lot of custom content.  If you have questions about what a building is, I will try to get you the name and the builder.  All content in here has been provided by many great creators and I thank each of them completely.
2.  I use money cheats.  I am not going for an economic model, I am going for aesthetics.  And for that I need money.  So I use the Moolah cheat. 
3.  If you have suggestions give them to me ... constructive criticism can only help.  Unconstructive criticism is just plain mean.  Please don't be mean.  Like one of my favorite sings Big Kenny says "Love Everybody."
4.  I am building as I go along.  So far I have two large squares done and am moving along.  You will get a story and I will try to make you apart of the process.

Can't argue with any of that, pretty much my own philosophy. Well done with your initial posts and looking forward to see this develop.

Cheers

Dave

paroch

Nice start there tkirch &apls.

That's a huge map you have there, very abitious, so I wish you good luck.

I like the plaza square, very nice.  And I also like the county court house - I don't think I've seen that one before.

Interesting how you've made the city centre in a kind of square.  My one question would be how the buildings to the west of the city centre (in the overview picture) would access the centre.  It looks as though the residents would have to travel a long way around on roads to get to the jobs and civic amenities in the centre.  Maybe they need to be connected more directly???  Just a suggestion.

Good work and I look forward to seeing more.

sam

Great start to a MD. The map looks very interesting, its the kind I like to play too (but a bit smaller).

The square and parks are beautiful, and your city looks very well thought out and detailed.

Great work  &apls

bat

A wonderful start there, tkirch! Great looking region! Also fantastic pictures! :thumbsup:

Schulmanator

Zounds! You have an awesome map and the town is looking great. What a way to start!  :thumbsup:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

dedgren

I think I'm just going to pull up this easy chair...

...grab a Schlitz [linkie]...

...and watch BB really closely.  It took about a year, Todd, to get 3RR to where you are just starting out from.  I'm amazed by the map, and in love with the detail you're providing.

Any real estate for sale up on Dedgren Creek?  Heh.

Good luck, my friend!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

tkirch

WOW!!!  &apls Thank you all for the great comments.  It is really nice to come on and see that people actually read this.

paroch:  It may a look that way but there are actually four roads that enter into City Centre.  Plus the I-90 entrance is right there.  My commute time is real low and I will show this in some upcoming photos to demonstrate this.

First a picture of the road that goes to the western subdivision

And a picture showing our commute times

And just one more picture, how the City of Sheboygan zoning looks like

DavidSo glad you could stop in, since you were my inspiration.  This map has taken months to build to where it is.  Dedgren Creek will always be yours.

tkirch

Now that we have set some of the stage for Sheboygan lets take a look at some of the highlights from around the city.  To the west of City Centre you may have noticed a number of large apartments and condos.  This is by far the largest built up area of the city.  This area is the only area that has these larger buildings growing in.  As you can tell from the overviews of Sheboygan, Sheboygam is not a city of skyscrapers but their are some bigger buildings.  About the size you may find in a city of 50,000.

The city has many small neighborhoods but is the condo/apartment section that the population is the densest.  Let's take a look at this area ...

An overview of the area first

And at night

Now let's zoom in on some of them...

You will notice int the overview a 6x6 square of rowhomes that grew, here is close-up of them

And then 2 pictures of some of the apartments in the area.  A day and a night.

tkirch

Next I would like to take you on a tour of some of the civic buildings in Sheboygan.  These would be the properties the city runs such as schools, libraries, fire station, police stations, hospitals, and well you get the picture.

First let's take a look at the hospital that can be found in City Centre.  We skipped this in our City Centre tour but here it is ...

Next let's take a look at the BLAM Fire Department Building.  This can be found in the Northeast Corner of Sheboygan, right off I-90 exit 1.

The Central Library

And a picture of one of the many schools in Sheboygan

Where does the power for Sheboygan come from?  Well years ago the city contracted with the Hardun Corporation.  They built the Hardun Coal Plant to power most of Sheboygan County.

Let's throw some garbage away ... THE LANDFILL

tkirch

Just a tour of some of the commercials that can be found throughout Sheboygan. 

A few of the big block stores: Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Mills Fleet Farm

Next a few of the small restaurant chains

Chuck E Cheese

KFC and A & W

Sonic Drive-In and Applebees

Denny's Restaurant

Next the car dealerships of Sheboygan

And the various small commercials ...

And now some of the offices that dot the landscape of Sheboygan

Check out this building day and night

And finally the Movie Theatre

tkirch

Before I go into some more pictures and I do have more of the City of Sheboygan.  I was wandering if any of the great graphic people could help me out out there.  I need a banner for an upcoming part of the MD ... The Badger Bay Art Gallery.  You will find out exactly what that is in the future.  But I am looking for a really neat Banner, something that is artistic yet elegant that could work for the banner to be placed on it.  It will be used for posts throughout this MD and like I said it is something special I am working on.  You can see my banner skills kind of stink.  My Badger Bay was a crop picture.  I am limited in those skills.

Pat

Tkirch you have a nice MD here.... Alot of great content you also are showing off and loved that dealership slide lol.... see you in the next update and im sorry im unable to help you with the graphic request as i suck lol - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

First let me start by sayign you have the makings of a great MD. You've developed a history, and from the looks of it are planning a future of it as well. The layout of the city looks pretty good. There is plenty of available parking which adds some realism, and your selection of buildings is good too (I also like that you have linked to a few of the buildings you have showcased. The condo complex is a very interesting area. You were really able to break up the grid concept of the game with those selections, and it looks pretty good that way. I think my favorite areas of the recent updates have been the plaza square and the park. Both are well made. The whole area looks like a good place to live. Good luck with this, and I'll be keeping an eye out for the next update.

bat

Fantastic new pictures there! Great work! :thumbsup:

sebes

You have started without doubt a very interesting MD here. I love what I see, like the pictures, and am thrilled to find out what your plans for the future are !

Especially the residential areas look awesome: the one with the Orange roof and the Roof terraces fits is perfect...  :satisfied:

I wish I could move to Sheboygan !
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

tkirch

Let's next take a look at some of the industrials of Sheboygan

First two overview shots of the Industrial areas.  The first one on the west side off I-90 Exit 3

And the second one closer to Devil's Lake

Now some up close shots

See how some of the products get out...

And just so you all know I added a Gazetteer at the top of the MD.  Will add to that as I go along.