• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

the city state of CLARKSTOWN

Started by waway625, January 22, 2007, 10:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waway625

Hi! this is a mirror of my Clarkstown CJ at Simtropolis, i just want to share it here :) (if thats ok with you guys) this  is a modified

version though as ill be short cutting and start with the parts i like best :)

click on link below to see the 9mb metropolis screenshot
http://www.fileden.com/pview.php?fid=138463&fname=large%20pano.jpg

flag and coat of arms

THE CITY-STATE OF CLARKSTOWN

Located at the southern tip of the Island of Mindanao in the Philippines,the city state of Clarkstown, is an independent (fictional) City-State covering an area of 256 square kilometers.
Its International Airport and Seaport is one of the busiest Passenger and Cargo hubs in the East ASEAN and is home to many multinational companies.

According the the 2007 census, The region has a population of 1,418,335 people in 407,083 households

Since its secession from the Republic of the Philippines in 1960, the sprawling urban region has emerged as a center for investment, tourism and education in this side of Southeast Asia.

BRIEF HISTORY

FOUNDATION OF A CITY

Clarkstown  was a sleepy, town in the early part of the 20th century until a group of locals  established a trading port for their agricultural products with french traders in the mid 1930s. In less than a decade, Clarkstown's economy grew to become ,then, one of the Philippines most progressive cities

WORLD WAR II

Clarkstown's progress came to a halt during World War II when it was occupied by the Japanese Imperial Army and the city was converted into a garrisson and prison camp

the City Hall and Courthouse were converted as the center of the Southern Philippine operations of the Japanese Imperial Army during WWII

During the American Liberation of 1945, Heavy bombings reduced much of the city into ruins, and the once vibrant city became a ghost town.

Clarkstown in ruins and the still unfinished airport bombed beyond repair

The City Center in ruins

The emerging uptown Central Business District in ruins

With the entire Philippines struggling to recover from the destruction of the war,the rebuilding of Clarkstown's much destroyed infrastructure seemed like an impossible task and Clarkstown's economy remained devastated for more than a decade.

Feeling much neglect from the central government whose post-war restoration efforts were concentrated on the National Capital Region of Manila,  the local government of Clarkstown, with the support of local business and civic groups, lobbied for independence at the Philippine Senate .After years of debate in the Philippine Senate and constant protests and mass actions of disobedience and boycotts in Clarkstown and in the Capital city of Manila by independence movement groups, the senate finally approved of the holding of a plebiscite for independence was held among local residents on March 16, 1953. After a landslide vote for independence by the Clarkstownians, a 5year provisional government was formed to finalize Clarkstown's independence.After the lapse of the 5 year provisional independence status and with much of Clarkstown's independent institutions in place the Independent City State of Clarkstown was established on September 10,1958.

RISING FROM THE ASHES

For 5 years, The state concentrated a significant percentage of its resources in the rebuilding of Clarkstown's infrastructure: the reparation and expansion of  the state's city's road and rail networks and establishment of state utilites and  medical and educational institutions. The first wave of the "rebirth" of Clarkstown  came in the economic boom of mid 1970s when the first line of the Skytrain (elevated mass transit system) and the new Clarkstown International Airport was opened

WELCOME TO CLARKSTOWN

Clarkstown, a modern metropolis bursting with life, verve and color,  This city, teeming with a vibrant populace, is a bustling hub of commerce, education, tourism, arts, culture and wellness in Southeast Asia.

The new Clarkstown City Hall (inverted U building) stands tall over the old city hall (now a museum)

Located in a land area of 25,600 hectares, Clarkstown is one of the worlds smallest states. However, its compact size belies its economic growth. In just 50 years,Clarkstown has grown into a thriving centre of commerce and industry

Clarkstown's main financial strip, Avenida Comercio is home to many international financial institutions

the Freeport of Puerto Joya is the Philippines' busiest port outside of Manila

Situated in a typhoon-free zone with a dynamic, able support from the local government and harmonious synergy of a multi-cultural and multi-lingual peoples from different indigenous tribes, Muslims communities, migrant settlers and a large expatriate community, make this cosmopolitan city conducive for business, investments and tourism.

THE URBAN FABRIC

Clarkstown at dusk

An emerging skyline at the district of St. Yves

A busy crossing at San Vicente District, the eastern entry point to Clarkstown

The Lower West Village is the most exclusive address at the city center

A busy intersection at the Landco Pacific Corporate City, one of the many business districts in Clarkstown

the Jesuit-run Ateneo de Clarkstown University; one of Clarkstown's finest educational instiutions

Construction sites like this are a common sight in Clarkstown, proof of the city's economic growth

FESTIVALS

Kadayawan sa Clarkstown

What started as "just a new activity" to spice up an otherwise routine civic-military parade, awarding ceremonies, and a literary-musical program for Clarkstown's anniversary celebration has now become an internationally renowned festival. the mother of maNy other festivals in the state as it honors Clarkstown's artistic, cultural and historical heritage, its people as they celebrate on the streets, and its floral industry as they parade in full regalia in thanksgiving for the blessings bestowed on the city."Kadayawan sa Clarkstown" is an enriching experience with a difference as its explores the past, present and future of the Clarstownians. Its sights and sounds remain unparalleled. Be part of the experience.

Madayaw!

TOURIST ATTRACTIONS

Beach Life

Sun worshippers can find heaven at the tourist district of Babak, its fine white sand beaches caters to a wide spectrum of beach goers: from the casual backpackers to those who prefer to indulge in the lap of luxury at Babak's ritzy hotels

Beach lovers at Babak

Performing Arts

Visitors interested in the performing arts will find Clarkstown a cultural utopia! Clarkstown offers a variety of cultural experience from the classic Opera house, Plays, and musical, to the frequent concerts by international pop artists at the Clarkstown Arena.

The Moulin Rouge, established in the late 1930s, is Clarkstown's oldest theatre for the performing arts

The Clarkstown Arena and Clarkstown Coliseum are popular venues  for sports events and Rock/Pop Concerts

Historical Sites

Clarkstown's old downtown is a must see for every tourist, unique in a southeast asian setting, this french inspired district offers a glimpse to the begginings of this progressive metropolis

LIFESTYLE

Nightlife

The sun may dim but the fun doesn't! As night falls, life begins in many quarters of  Clarkstown. Whether you're a party animal, a 24-hour foodie or just a night owl craving adventure around the clock, there are many sizzling surprises to keep your senses satiated till the wee hours of the morning.

The Marina Promenade: a popular nighlife strip in Clarkstown

Inside one of Clarkstown's bars

Clarkstownian party people

Eating Out

Never miss to sample local specialties such as inihaw na panga (grilled tuna jaw), inihaw na bihod (grilled tuna roe), crispy buntot ng bariles (tuna

tail), chicken barbecue grilled the Clarkstown way, and of course, the ubiquitous kinilaw (raw tuna or blue marlin strips marinated in coconut

vinegar, soy sauce, chili and other local spices), served with puso (hanging rice) and an interesting dip consisting of soy sauce, coconut vinegar,

calamansi (Philippine lemon) and local spices.

You can also find numerous selection of Filipino, Thai, French, Italian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese and other foreign cuisine in

various restaurants around the city, making Clarkstown a truly exciting place for dining.

Restaurants and Cafes near the Embassy

Locals eating inside one of Clarkstown's malls

Shopping

Clarkstown is a shopaholic's paradise,the metropolis offers a variety of shopping experience, from high end mall shopping to bargain hunting at the chinatown strip, Clarkstown has it all

inside one of Clarkstown's malls

Malls are a major catalyt for growth, here the opening of a mall has resulted in the sprouting of residential developments in the vicinity

Chimes Department Store: Clarkstown oldest and most elegant shopping destination

Enjoy a wide variety of shopping at Clarkstown's shopping enclaves from novelty shops to upscale stores like Mark's and Spencers

For those wanting to buy the latest gadgets and gizmos, check out Clarkstown's electronics stores at Chinatown

Recreation

Fun and leisure await in the expansive greens of Clarkstown as golf enthusiasts from all over the country troop to the city's golf courses after a grueling meeting or simply to invigorate their weekend.

Sun City Golf  (Catalunan),Rancho Palos Verdes (Catalunan), Clark's Bay Golf (Clark's Bay), South Pacific Golf (Clark's Bay)) and St. Yves Fairways (St. Yves) are among the world-class golf courses located accessibly from downtown Clarkstown and are dramatically set amidst the
panoramic splendor of the countryside or the dazzling skyline of the City

Sports clubs, shooting ranges, world class tennis and badminton courts, paintball games, billiard centers, duck pin and ten-pin bowling alleys are conveniently located in the metropolitan area.

Rancho Palos Verdes is the latest golf course to open in Clarkstown

WHERE TO STAY

Clarkstown offers a wide variety of accommodation types to suit all budgets and preferences. They range from backpacker, budget and youth hostels to boutique and five-star hotels.

Most hotels come with standard facilities like International Direct Dial (IDD) phones, internet and cable, room service, mini bars, data ports for modem, no-smoking rooms or floors, and business and fitness centres furnished with the latest equipment.

The 4-star Marriot Airport Hotel at the CIX

The newly opened Waterfront Clarkstown Marina and Suites

The Ritz-Carlton Clarkstown in the upscale district of Catalunan is just a stone's throw away from the Metropolis' most exclusive golf courses

For the budget-conscious traveler, affordable hotels can easily found in Clarkstown

HOUSING PROJECTS

With the rise of economy comes a population boom, Clarkstowns population has dramatically increased in less than a decade, from a population of just above 1,000,000 in the late 90s, Clarkstown now has its population at 1.4 million. Immigrant wanting to call Clarkstown their home need not worry though as affordable housing is within reach in Clarkstown, from private developers to state built housing, newcomers are assured of finding a place to stay in Clarkstown

State builit public housing in the District of Rosalem Valley

A privately developed middle class housing project by Filinvest Land in Agbi District

GETTING IN AND AROUND CLARKSTOWN

Clarkstown International Airport (CIX) is serviced by flights from major points of destinations in the Philippines, including the cities of Manila,

Cebu, Iloilo, Bacolod and Zamboanga as well as direct international flights to key cities in Asia, Europe and America

Click to download the latest Clarkstown flight Schedule

Air travel from Manila to Clarkstown is approximately 90 minutes by plane. Travel time by sea takes three days from Manila North harbor to

Clarkstown's Puerto Joya Freeport while land travel via the scenic Pan-Philippine or Maharlika Highway takes around 42 hours.

On the other hand Travelling around Clarkstown is a cinch! An efficient public transportation network of taxis, buses and the modern Clarkstown Skytrain Elevated railways and Clarkstown Metropolitan Railway system ensures that getting from point A to point B is hassle-free and extremely affordable.

The Clarkstown Skytrain runs traverses the City's core and the districts of Puerto Joya Feeport, Clark's Bay, and Brosco

The Clarkstown Metropolitan Railway System offers a fast and reliable transportation to almost all of Clarkstown's districts, and is connected to another Major urban center, Davao, some 100km northeast of Clarkstown

thats all for now folks  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

final edit: since its unrealistic for Clarkstown to be a part of the Philippines as a very small state, whilst other single  RL Philippine cities are much larger (much more the provinces and regions) i decided to re-write its history and made clarkstown an independent City state :)

please visit my Mayor's diary: Clarkstown

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=240.0

dedgren

Looks like a great start.  Having never seen Clarkstown over at ST, I assume you've edited a bunch of background stuff together for your first post here.  It flows really well, is very informative, and the RL pics give the info a very convincing effect.

'Be watching this one.  Good luck.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

waway625

thanks dedgren :), if im not mistaken, you are an admin/mod here? im having problems with how i made the layout, the text at the bottom part goes a little too wide, can you please help me fix it? thanks..im still not familiar with this type of forum format

edit, fixed the problem by removing the "pre formatted text option" and the "verdana" font :) whats that "re-formatted" option BTW? before i post my replies, i usually type them on notepad

Giligone

Awesome city!!! :thumbsup: Your downtown blows me away. So good. You've got lots of asian bats which makes it really look authentic. I really like it alot. Your photoshopping skills are solid, really bumps the pics up a few more notches. Great work! Looking forward to more  ;D

Alek King of SC4

very very but for the obligatory where can i find this building....

the greyish towers in this pic.?

wonderful pics, one suggestion though, limit your R$$$ population u will get less dilapidation.

dedgren

Hi Waway625-

...or may we just call you "625" for short?

I'm glancing at your questions while working on some motion practice that's due today...let me take a look at typing a post in an "off-line" text editor like Notepad (I just hit "Reply" or "Modify" and use the site's input windows- leaves me open to distant catastrophe, though, as I found out to my chagrin over at ST).  Back to you this evening Alaska time (GMT-9).

A quickie here, though.  This site defaults to Verdana as the posting font.  I know you can also change the "font=" BBCode tag to Arial and Courier New, but that's about as adventuresome as I've gotten...

...yet.

Back to you later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

waway625

Giligone- thanks for viewing my diary :) ive been reading your "headwaters" at ST too :) i havent checked the diaries here at SC4dev though, did you mirror it here?

Alek King of SC4- thats a BAT by bixel from STEX :) if im not mistaken, its called garden estate :)

heres the link : http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?page=2&Keyword=bixel&type=all#

thanks for the suggestion, i downloaded this mod at STEX that raises the requirements of R$$ and R$$$ so will only develop in really desirable areas but they arent working as much as i want them too :(

dedgren - you can call me boyet :) thats my RL nickname :D so using offline text editors isnt advised huh? i do that since sometimes ST goes offine while editing so i make sure to type it on notepad first sa as to "save" my entries...yeah its a pain to re-edit them again in the forums but its worth the hassle of having to re-type them again if things go bad :D (useful for proofreading before posting too :))

Giligone

Quote from: waway625 on January 22, 2007, 12:05:15 PM
Giligone- thanks for viewing my diary :) ive been reading your "headwaters" at ST too :) i havent checked the diaries here at SC4dev though, did you mirror it here?

No prob, it was my pleasure! haha. No, I haven't mirrored my CJ. I wasn't sure if that was frowned upon as shameless advertising or something... Also I have 11 pages so I hadn't figured out how I would start it here... I may still yet though. Seeing that you have and no ones mad, haha.

kwakelaar

Very nice and interesting, great use of different styles of BATs and good that you have included history and background stories about your city.

The link for the big screenshot does not work for me.

waway625

ooops "shameless advertising" well i was a little hesitant at first, but id like to have as many readers as i can so i can hopefully get criticisms and suggestions as to how i can improve my city..dotn get me wrong, kind words are make me feel good but its from suggestions and criticisms (hopefuly not harsh) that i learn to perfect my game :)

kwakelaar-thanks, im glad you liked it :) sorry bout the broken link..its fixed now :)

here:http://www.fileden.com/pview.php?fid=138463&fname=large%20pano.jpg

Giligone

lol, yea, that is true. And sc4devotion is a more serious crowd where you'd get better feedback as well. That mosaic is awesome, I only saw 1 error, hehe. You managed to get the city bounderies to match up well, thats hard to do.  ;D

rw0381c

I've read this CJ at ST, and I think it'll make a great addition to SC4D. Your pano is amazing to say the least.

Question, how'd you get that sand in the upper portion of your map!?

Fledder200

nope i can see non, only the mall and the food  &mmm
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short to wear bad clothes...and ugly shoes!

Giligone

I dunno, I don't use photobucket, sorry. Was that big 9mb pic on there? That would certainly add up bandwidth.

waway625

the 9mb pic was on fileden :) so its still viewable :D...im off to work now, ive already created a new account on photobucket so ill export my diary pics there :D

so can you not see anything too @ giligone?

Giligone

Negative, 2 pics are randomly showing though...

waway625

photos fixed :)

rw0381c - what sand?

derek_pearce

Signature comming soon

sebes

Great MD. It gives so much to read and view. The cities history is very interesting! Thank you &apls
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

bat

Wonderful start! Great city you have built there!!!  :thumbsup: &apls