• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bodhran - New Update 8/2/2007

Started by dragonshardz, July 18, 2007, 10:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonshardz

Hi. As this is my first MD, don't expect perfection. No pictures at the moment but they will come. As it is (as far as i know) customary to list the stuff you have downloaded, I'll do my best.

• PEG's Navy Rewards
  • Deadwoods' WIMPS-N Lots and Highway Walls lots
  • PEG's CSK and RKT3 Lots
  • SOMY's Port Landmarks
  • Various Landmarks from the STEX and the Official Site
  • Blahdy's Big Dig Stuff
  • The NAM
  • Various other lots by BLaM, GDV, SimGoober, and others
  • One of the make your own airport mods, not sure which one at the moment
Also, two lots by me that have not been uploaded:

• The PG Building (still need to use SC4Tool for dependencies)
  • The Aquatic Power Generator (Still very much uncompleted)

I barely have half a gigabyte of a Plugins folder, but that's enough to make me not want to go searching through miles of folders...so this list is what impacts my city quite a bit.

So....As yet the city of Bodhran is a standalone city. The transit network is still being developed, as are the industrial areas, the housing developments, and the commercial area.

I plan to make one of the neighboring cities my airport/resort city, probably one of the medium sized cities, as the airport I am planning has six runways and takes up most of a small city.

I will probably have some pics ready soon, hopefully by tommorrow.

Pat

WoW first i like to welcome you Dragonshardz to the wonderful world of Mayor Diary's...
Some thoughts though that can help you out a bit.  First even if its a teaser shot please
post it. Second its always good to convert from png to jpeg and of course you can use
ms paint to do that. Third have fun and we try to help out and give pointers, you can
count on me stopping by and helping you out even if its just an encouraging word or 2 - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dragonshardz

Update No. ??
I'm working on the pictures as we speak.

EDIT: Here's the first set of pictures.

Ummm.....ok maybe not. rest assured, I do have pictures i just...umm...man this is embarassing....i have no clue as to how to actually post pictures...sorry.

Ennedi

Don't worry, dragonshardz!  :)

1. Go to Imageshack and register yourself there.
2. Download an Imageshack Toolbar from this site, it will be installed on your browser.
3. Click "upload". Now you will be able to browse your folders. Find your picture and click "upload".
4. Now you will be able to see your picture in Imageshack, in the "My Images" section. Right click on it. When you will see options, click "share it". You will see some codes. Find "Direct link to image" and copy this code (Ctrl C)
5. Now, in your post on SC4D, click "insert Image", then paste the code (Ctrl V)
6. It could be useful t click "Preview" before you will send the post. You will see your post with you picture.

There are more possibilities of use Imageshack, but I showed you the most simple of them.
Of course you can upload many pictures. It is simple and easy.

Edit: I also suggest to look at the "SC4D New Members Area", you will find there many useful informations about our site, BBC codes, hyperlinks etc.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

dragonshardz

Update #1
So, thanks to Ennedi, the pics are in!

This is the Bodhran Naval Base and adjacent Industrial area. In background are PEG's Hydroelectric Dam and CSK2 Ocean Lock. In the upper right corner is Somy's Fantasy Castle.

In this photo is my creation: the PG Building (the one with the control tower) and Akin's Air Purifucation Plant from the STEX.

Big John Mining Co. by Pegasus, SFBT Solar Module, and JRJ Communications Antenna.

So far these are the pics I have. More to come!

If anyone is wondering, a bodhran is a large Irish drum, and the PG Building IS NOT available and is still in production.

Applause for Ennedi&apls &apls &apls

BigSlark

dragonshardz,

Your layout and selections of BAT's looks good, however, I suggest turning all of your graphics settings up the to the highest setting for taking photos.

All of the BAT'ed content I've played with looks really, really good with your settings turned all the way up. Of course, you don't have to build with the settings turned up...

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more. If you have any questions just post it in the Technical Help thread.

Cheers,
Kevin

dragonshardz

Ah. Point taken. Will do in the future. Technically this isn't an update, so no pics at the moment. I will have an eye candy pic ready by tomorrow.

Pat

sweeet looking nice... cant wait to seem more here - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dragonshardz

wow thanks i had no clue that i would be that good. :o

tooheys

Then came the day at the bottom of the mine,
when a timber cracked and men started crying.
Miners were praying, and hearts beat fast
and everybody thought they had breathed their last
cept' John.
Through the dust and the smoke of this man made hell,
walked a giant of a man that the miners knew well.
Grabbed a sagging timber and gave out with a groan,
and like a giant oak tree he just stood there alone, Big John

Big John
Big John
Big Bad John
Big John

And with all of his strength, he gave a mighty shove.
Then a miner yelled out, 'theres a light up above!'.
And 20 men scrambled from a 'would be' grave
now theres only one left down there to save, Big John.
With jacks and timbers, they started back down,
then came that rumble way down in the ground.
And as smoke and gas smelched out of that mine,
everybody knew it was the end of the line, for Big John.

Big John
Big John
Big Bad John
Big John

Now they never re-opened that wortheless pit,
they just placed a marble stand in front of it.
These few words are written on that stand,
'At the bottom of this mine, lies one Hell of a man, Big John'

Big John
Big John
Big Bad John
Big John.

I can't recall who batted that lot, but I still sing along everytime i click on it. Oh so sad  &ops

dragonshardz, good work with the navy base :).

You've been provided with some great advice so far. You'll find that everyone here is supportive and you will recieve
constructive advice/criticism along the way. How you use it is up to you, naturally you won't agree with everything said,
but it does get you thinking, believe me.

Will be watching to see how this develops.

Cheers

Dave

dragonshardz

Update #1.5
Teaser!

An image of the Ponderosa forest on the island's southwest quarter.

I will post other pics while I wait for the R and I areas to develop...Possibly start the resort city and the airport...

@tooheys That lot was BAT'ed by Pegasus and his minions.

Thanks guys for your support and...stuff...

Anyway here's some applause for y'all!  &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

Pat

Verry good update here Dragon... I hope to see your resort and airport soon - pat

bat

Great pictures! Wonderful work, dragonshardz! :thumbsup:

Ennedi

Promising update - wait for more  :thumbsup:

Btw, you can turn off the grid lines by pressing G - pictures look better without it
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

tooheys

Now that's a better sized photo and it's nice and clear.

Well done. Good to see you using a few mods (water, terrain)  :thumbsup:

As for waiting for your R & I areas to develop, there are quite a few here who like to see areas grow from the roots up, so don't be afraid to to show your initial zoning and progressive photos as your town/city develops. It's always interesting to see how different people build their cities.

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers

Dave

dragonshardz

@tooheys: i'll do that, then.

i had a picture of the area i have primed for the airport, but as i am roughly six hours away from my desktop and i hadn't loaded the picture onto
imageshack before i left, no pics for now.

so as tooheys saw, i am using the Olympic terrain mod from cycledogg as well as his ponderosa pines. the water mod i am using is pegasus' brigantine water mod.

an update on the PG Building: it is now being tested and critiqued by BarbyW and others. i still have a lot of work to do to make it suitable for the LEX. as it stands it is a cheat building, providing 10,000,000 power for $10 a month, and some other design elements such as building placement and choice still need work. it is supposed to be a cheap but efficient power plant for large cities with little money to spare. i will most likely raise the monthly cost but not too much as i want this to be cheap and efficient. any suggestions for cost?

also, my little brother is undergoing surgery this coming tuesday, so i will likely not be around for a bit. please don't ask why he's going into surgery, that's his business and not mine to share.

until the next update,
Dragonshardz

EDIT: As i see no reason for double=posting, i got back from san diego on the 29th and the past few days have been taken up by my reading the various tutorials over at ST and here as well. I'd post the pic i have but the area still needs some work (plopping stuff, not development) so i'll wait a few days, work on that **** power plant, and just generally relax.

dragonshardz

I know this is a double post!!

UPDATE #2!!!
So, we leave the city of Bodhran behind for now and move to the south, where a visionary mayor has decided to set up a resort town. He (or she, it doesn't really matter-I'll go with he) determines that the large plateau taking up most of the city is an ideal location for an airport. However he does not have enough money to begin construction at this time, so he goes with installing security fencing (put in place by deadwoods Contractors) and some noise barriers (also by deadwoods, technically they are highway walls but they work fine in this setting as well). He also lays down the highway and other transport, as well as zoning for construction...

...wanting his future residents to be safe, he also puts in some retaining walls (by jeronij) and decides to preserve some land as a trail park.

Not long afterwards, the first residents begin pouring into town, filling up his initial residential zoning up amazingly fast:

However, his commercial zoning is not that popular:

There are six identical buildings at one end of the block...

...and two more on the other side.

As time goes on, he puts in a water pump (not visible at this angle-it's nothing special anyway, just the Maxis default) and lays down the pipelines for the future airport:

Construction has finally begun on the terminal for the airport...

...and the mayor is so happy, he goes on a bit of a spending spree. High-speed railways, HERE I COME!!

Thankfully (or not), his RICH uncle, no not just rich but Richie Rich-style rich, died ( :'() and left him over 2 billion dollars without taxes, so he has cash TO BURN!!!

As this update comes to a close, it has been roughly ONE YEAR in the town of Didgeridoo, and already the mayor has enough money for a heliputer purchased from dedgren industries, inc. As we leave Didgeridoo for Bodhran on the BRAND-NEW high-speed rail line, the mayor catches us just before we enter the AMTRAK Acela and gives us this photo of the city:

He (and his heliputer pilot) still have much to learn, but this picture is beautiful anyway.

So, thanks to dedgren on ST for his beautiful pics and idea for the heliputer (don't kill me please! I love the idea!) and everyone else who has come to this MD.

Until the next update,
Dragonshardz

Pat

Dragonshardz technical it aint double posting when its been days since a last reply so no worry at all...
awsome update on the other hand... I do like the idea of heliputer lol   ::) i cant wait to see the result on your
upload status - pat

dragonshardz

well so far the upload status is still up in the air. BarbyW and the others who tested it don't like the placement of the buildings and some other things abou the lot such as the health bonus (did not intend for the helth bonus to even be present) and the monthly cost. its basically gonna take some work.

also the heliputer is something i stole borrowed from dedgren's 3RR thread over at ST.

bat

Great update, dragonshardz! Also nice pictures! :thumbsup: