• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Thanks, Absalom, Zack, Ernestmaxis, dyoungyn, and Vizoria! :thumbsup:

Quote from: APSMS on September 16, 2016, 11:21:01 PM
Good thing I wasn't sipping my coffee, or else I'd have gotten my computer wet and sticky...

Coffee is a sacred Tarkusian beverage, so I'm glad to hear there was no spillage. :D

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on September 17, 2016, 02:42:45 AM
Let's see here... Signalized MIS intersections + asymmetric MIS/Road intersections + FTL overrides on FLEX-HTs = not enough jaws to drop to express my amazement! There's a lot to look forward to in NAM 36+, that's for sure!

You got all of them . . . and there's some interesting possibilities opened up by the FTL overrides existing on the FLEX-HTs.  There will be more on that in awhile.

Quote from: dyoungyn on September 17, 2016, 07:15:22 AM
Hopefully, also AVE4/6 will apply also. :P

I'm actually pretty excited to work on those, as there's some really fun stuff planned there.

Quote from: Vizoria on September 17, 2016, 01:04:06 PM
Keep it up with the "stuff that is perhaps not all that interesting to look at, but actually pretty exciting".

That we will. :D  We're getting close to that point where the vision we had for the FLEX stuff is fulfilled.

And while I'm here, I might as well show matias93 that I've now covered both interpretations of his question:

The only problem is that it's now distracted me into working on the Road/OWR/AVE Viaducts (you can see a tiny bit of that on the left side). ()testing()

-Alex

matias93

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Seaman

this thread turns out to be my weekly shot of endorphin. Regardless I'm not actually able to buid it, simply dreamin' it makes me kind of high.

keep it up  &apls

(seriously, keep it up! I'm addicted :D)

Vizoria

Tyberius06

Oh dear, this is amazing too (among the other nice additions what you guys make). I can't wait the release! :)  :popcorn: :popcorn:  &apls &apls &apls
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

dyoungyn

Great job and totally amazing.  Will we be able to see the same configuration on AVE6/7 except this time to the appropriate lights?

Finally, I know this is off topic on what is shown, is there any way you could expand the "Crossing Diamond FAR interchanges" to AVE6/7?

Tarkus

Thanks, matias, Seaman, Vizoria, Tyberius, and dyoungyn!

Now, to answer a couple of questions:

Quote from: dyoungyn on September 18, 2016, 03:12:40 PM
Will we be able to see the same configuration on AVE6/7 except this time to the appropriate lights?

Finally, I know this is off topic on what is shown, is there any way you could expand the "Crossing Diamond FAR interchanges" to AVE6/7?

Support for RHW-3 and RHW-4 x NWM at-grade crossings is very unlikely for NAM 35.  Once those intersections are made, the matter of signal placement will be handled the same way there as it is for the new Avenue intersections with those RHW networks--no RHW-facing signals by default, but the potential for them with a SITAP override.  I'd imagine it'd probably come together once we get to the point of adding RHW SITAP support.

As far as the second question, there is no further development planned for the Crossing Diamond FA pieces at present.  The developers who did the bulk of the work there have long been inactive, and pretty much anything FARHW-related is stalled until we figure out the future roadmap for that part of the mod.  The rough direction we're headed for the next phase of FARHW, as one might guess based on our current development strategies, entails a shift toward a FLEX and/or draggable implementation.  If a FLEX replacement for these pieces were to be made, it would require not only the new FARHW, but FTLs for it.  I'd say it's NAM 40+ in terms of when it'll make it in.

Before I close out this message, here's a development pic--Multi-Radius Curves have now been made for the L1 and L2 RHW-2 networks.

-Alex

matias93

Smoothier interchanges are coming, this is getting better by the hour!!  &apls

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Gugu3

gn_leugim

Quote from: matias93 on September 18, 2016, 10:48:09 PM
Smoothier interchanges are coming, this is getting better by the hour!!  &apls

and after smoothier, compact interchanges? :D

noahclem

Lot's of exciting work here!! Extremely excited about the adjacency and of course I'm always enthusiastic about MRC work  &apls &apls

dyoungyn

Agreed, smoother it is.  Now if only one can draw with RHW as one can draw gentle curves with roads would be awesome &hlp

Pythias900KMB

The diamond interchanges that are shown in this URL (https://simtarkus.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/rhw-09172016-1.jpg) are quite an accomplishment; still, I do have to object to the use of the A2 ramp as a highway access because it is not something that happens in RL (at least not in San Antonio where I live) due to the fact that the motorists do not understand what it means to "yield the right-of-way" when on the highway.

If I were you, I would replace those A2 entry ramps with D2 entry ramps.

APSMS

Quote from: Pythias900KMB on September 25, 2016, 11:06:17 AM
...motorists do not understand what it means to "yield the right-of-way" when on the highway.
This is a problem everywhere. It doesn't mean it's not realistic, nor does it seem to stop Highway Engineers from making these types of offramps. There are plenty on the west coast, although a number of them have been "revised" (read: changed the lane paint to produce extreme awkwardness when driving through these 'revisions') so that they merge to one lane beforehand. It doesn't really help, but then again the biggest issue with amateur RHW isn't poor highway design (this exists in RL) but rather lack of smoothness (even bad highways IRL have to be reasonably smooth).

Of course, the main point is to showcase the RHW-4/Avenue intersection capability, which until now was non-existent. Well, that and elevated RHW-2 MRCs. Exciting stuff!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Tarkus

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.  Now, to respond to a few comments, after which I'll have some new stuff:

Quote from: gn_leugim on September 20, 2016, 03:20:33 AM
and after smoothier, compact interchanges? :D

I kind of want a smoothie now, even though it's 1:22am here. :D

Quote from: dyoungyn on September 22, 2016, 07:08:29 PM
Agreed, smoother it is.  Now if only one can draw with RHW as one can draw gentle curves with roads would be awesome &hlp

The Multi-Radius Curves--at least the two smaller radii (R1 and R2)--are draggable.  They work a little bit differently from the Road ones because the auto-connect issues prevent the stub trick from really working, but there are patterns that you can use instead.  These L1/L2 RHW-2 MRCs were built using those patterns.

Quote from: Pythias900KMB on September 25, 2016, 11:06:17 AM
I do have to object to the use of the A2 ramp as a highway access because it is not something that happens in RL (at least not in San Antonio where I live) due to the fact that the motorists do not understand what it means to "yield the right-of-way" when on the highway.

If I were you, I would replace those A2 entry ramps with D2 entry ramps.

If I were building this in an actual city rather than simply for a quickie test scenario, then yes, I'd absolutely use D2s here, or transition down to single-lane MIS before hitting the highway.  I am considering some modifications to the A2 and B2 designs, to revise them in the way that APSMS described.  The main reason that wasn't done before was RHD/LHD localization concerns, but now that we're sticking chevrons on all the ramp interfaces, that isn't really an issue anymore.

Now, onto the latest developments . . .

I've gotten barriers installed on the "Shift" FLEX Width Transitions (FLEX-WT) at last, along with tweaking the textures so the bottom of the symmetrical versions fit with the ground networks better.

Also, support for the L2 version of the previously seen RHW-4/Avenue intersection is in place, along with some adjacency overrides to help the X2 ramps convert the FLEX Height Transitions (FLEX-HT) properly.

-Alex

Seaman

I think the A2 offramps are quite common (at least in Germany)  and I think there's nothing unhandy about them. A2 onramps are weird, indeed. But I think in this situation they are absolutely ok in order to keep everything symetrical. So for the sake of workload reasons... :)

But since we know, that Tarkus has waaay too many freetime ;) and likes to suprise us, maybe he does, at some point in the future, have an idea for that. Maybe something like this: https://www.google.de/maps/@52.4693746,13.2369523,487m/data=!3m1!1e3
But for that, there's the need for a new onramp (d1 with integrated width transition on the onramp stub) or a height transition (with integrated width transition), so I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

edit: see what I mean: while I was wrighting this, Tarkus was busy enough to provide us another update! :D

Alan_Waters

Very good! But do not comply with road markings.

dyoungyn

It's too bad about not having signalized traffic light on elevated networks.  I have always been fond of building more realistic cities in SC4 even with those traffic congested lights.  On the flip side, in the U.S., one turning left, the light is always a blessing &hlp

Tarkus

Quote from: dyoungyn on September 28, 2016, 03:31:58 PM
It's too bad about not having signalized traffic light on elevated networks.

Actually, there are signals.  I just haven't shown any pictures since they were added. $%#Ninj2

They've only been added to the L1 version so far, but the L2 version will be getting the same treatment in due time, probably once I get back into signal mode.  The usual process is 1) make the item show up in game (RUL code, initial texture/model work), 2) make it accept traffic (pathing), 3) make it look nicer (texture/model refinement, and/or prop additions like signals, as needed).

-Alex

gn_leugim

pretty cool! though, there are still signals missing there are they not?  :thumbsup: