• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosimx

Surprisingly, I found that the Sims don't care - they use the bridge. This behaviour may be buried deep inside the exe, as the paths obviously don't match. I don't know.

Anyhow, thank you for your great work, and: regarding the mouse hole that Maxis left open - your NAM is incredible, unbelievable, just great. :)

mbma

Hello,

after years I came back to SC4 and ofc I did a complete install of the latest NAM first (v34) ... quite impresssive! ... many thanks to all who contributed here!

However, I cannot figure out how I can make the DIAGONAL viaduct stations work ... I think, I have tried everything, but when I hit "DrawPaths" I can clearly see, that I cannot get any paths through these stations :(

I have this issue with the:

- Modern Diagonal Viaduct Rail Station
- Victorian Viaduct Rail Station (diagonal)
- Viaduct Rail Station, Diagonal

The orthogonal versions work fine though ...

Any help/info here would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

vinlabsc3k

Have you tried to drag the rail tool in the station?
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

mgb204

Diagonal stations are a bit more difficult than usual. You must build the surrounding Viaduct Rail network before placing the station, which fills a 2x1 GAP. The station then needs to be activated, by clicking with the rail on each tile of the station. See from Page 51 of the PDF "NAM Transit Stations Manual" which you can find in \Documents\SimCity 4\NAM Auxiliary Files\Documentation for further details/pictures. Note that the manual states to drag the rail, although from my testing, it seems you must click each one instead.

Lastly, are you by any chance using a LHD game? I'm not 100%, but if the pathing doesn't include a LHD equivalent, that could affect Automata/UDI's ability to pass through the station, although it would technically still work. I remember this problem from way back, but it's really hard to check, since paths can not be seen in the station with this model. I've a LHD game and indeed UDI doesn't work, have you simply tried using the route query tool, which should show if sims are using the station or not.

mbma

Thanks for the quick answers ... but no, it doesn't work :(
feeling a bit stupid :)

I did every step you listed above or like it is written in the manual ... and we are talking about Xyloxadorias station, like in the manual ... but on the 2 tiles of the station I just can place 2 rail tiles, but I cannot drag them to connect over the two tiles ... no matter which way ...

Could it be that I have missed something and these stations just don't work with the RRW?

I use RHD, btw ...

mgb204

Plop the station, activate it, save the city, then exit to region. Re-open the city, now use the "drawpaths" code, you should see the station is correctly pathed, LHD or RHD.

I don't fully understand why, but if you try to activate the station whilst the paths are showing, they will disappear. So after reopening the tile, avoid doing that. As I said though, even without the paths, the station works just fine, it's just not working for Automata and UDI. It's correct that these stations actually use the path IDs of the original Maxis Rail (RRW is different). But since the paths are RRW spec when they appear, the RUL1 code must be re-routing them correctly.

If you are still not getting any passenger usage, at this point it might be best to provide a screenshot of the problem. That will help us to see if there is something wrong with the setup you've used.

Seaman

I have an issue: this setup is appareantly intended to be possible, since the textures are absolutly correct. But the tile completly misses paths. How come?  ()what()

Tarkus

It appears they never received them.  IIRC, this intersection was a late addition one release, and its existence was promptly forgotten about after.  There appears to be quite a few issues with the related diagonal-involving MIS x Avenue intersections as well (except the DxD, which was fixed).

-Alex

Seaman

Thank you for clarification, Tarkus. Are there any slight chances this is getting fixed in the next iteration?

Seaman

well then, I've reserved the tiles and await the next NAM with the same passion as I've waited for chistmas as a 6 year old kid!  :bnn:

thanks a bunch!

_Michael

On another note, in a new city I'm working on the RHW is being used and I've noticed that the automata are travelling very slowly- the slowest network in the game. I was wondering if this is a graphical glitch, or a know file that causes this. I'll try to post a GIF or video if it is required, but I'd just like to know if this is a known issue, and if so how to fix it. It is rather irritating me!

vinlabsc3k

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Tarkus

Quote from: michae95l on October 02, 2016, 12:27:16 AM
On another note, in a new city I'm working on the RHW is being used and I've noticed that the automata are travelling very slowly- the slowest network in the game. I was wondering if this is a graphical glitch, or a know file that causes this. I'll try to post a GIF or video if it is required, but I'd just like to know if this is a known issue, and if so how to fix it. It is rather irritating me!

I'd be on the lookout for a conflicting third-party automata controller or even a hidden traffic simulator plugin.  Both of those will screw up RHW traffic visuals, and the latter will do some real damage to the network functionality.

-Alex

_Michael

Quote from: Tarkus on October 02, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

I'd be on the lookout for a conflicting third-party automata controller or even a hidden traffic simulator plugin.  Both of those will screw up RHW traffic visuals, and the latter will do some real damage to the network functionality.

-Alex

I'll trawl through my plugin folder, although I don't think either will be present. Could traffic generator mess with this? - I have several installed.

Tarkus

Traffic produced by generators can sometimes behave rather strangely.  I do know that it tends to get caught up in crossover paths on some RHW and NWM networks and weaves all over the place as a result, so it's possible it might also be impeding on RHW networks.

-Alex

APSMS

Quote from: Tarkus on October 02, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

-Alex
I have noticed that on starters and offramps of certain types (most commonly FLEXRamps) the automata slow down a great deal. I doubt this affects much except in UDI, but it can look strange if the interchange is high-speed (no loops or other such slow stuff). I suspect its a product of the starter creation method (false intersection)? But I'm not sure.

On straight RHW I haven't noticed any slow downs however.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Tarkus

Quote from: APSMS on October 02, 2016, 06:31:37 PM
I have noticed that on starters and offramps of certain types (most commonly FLEXRamps) the automata slow down a great deal. I doubt this affects much except in UDI, but it can look strange if the interchange is high-speed (no loops or other such slow stuff). I suspect its a product of the starter creation method (false intersection)? But I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's pretty much unavoidable, unfortunately.  The game's hardcoded network hierarchy system puts the RHW's base network at the bottom of the heap for just about every situation, so the automata speed will often revert to the cross network.  This is also the reason that vehicles on Avenues slow down at Street intersections . . . for some ridiculous reason, the Street network is considered primary by the game there.

-Alex

VeTram

Hi to all ! Please help me understand how to use "FLEXHeight" - ramp-style transition , in order to join the ramp into an elevated overpass . . I have read that "ground to elevated MIS" piece has been replaced by "FLEXHeight" buttons , but i cannot find how to make it work in an interchange ...i hope you understand my question , as my english arent so good..Thanx
For every friend of this community , do NOT forget to send me a p.m if ever visit Greece .