• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michi_cc

Any chance of a tile like this, or would that confuse the automatas?

Tarkus

It wouldn't confuse the automata, per se, and while we are looking to add a bit more specialization with different lane control configurations on some setups, that might be a bit too specialized in comparison.

-Alex

noahclem

Fantastic work on the FTL  &apls &apls

@ Stephen - love the idea, a lot, and would be even more useful with RHW2/3 I think

Gugu3

Tarkus

Thanks, Gugu3!

And now, to revive this thread a little . . . some progress on the last TuLEP-related items that needed to be converted to FTL setups:

No T21s for the gates yet, and I still need to get GLR crossings covered.

-Alex

Tyberius06

You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

druidlove

Quote from: APSMS on February 14, 2016, 04:55:32 PM
Looks great, with the aforementioned nitpicks. Well, I would add that in CA there isn't usually a dashed line indicating new lanes (they just sort of open up, and when the road is wide enough the new lane markings start), but this is an issue endemic to the NAM (all of the RHW textures, though interestingly not all of the existing TuLEPs), so I can live with it.

Really, awesome work.

And part of my nitpicking may be that I just moved out to the "country", so I've been seeing these roads more often than I would've normally before.
I'm a little late in replying here (I blame school and work), but it used to be the same in CO as well. Only recently, have there been dashed lines indicating a new lane is forming. It may also vary on which part of the state, but I think this is becoming a new trend, or new requirement. I'd have to look at the MUTCD to be certain, however.

Tarkus

Thanks to everyone for their continued support of this project. :thumbsup:

As a by-product of producing a draggable version of the GLR crossings, I needed to make this particular crossing as well:

Gotta love extra bonus features you couldn't do with the old TuLEP puzzle pieces.

-Alex

Gugu3

dyoungyn

I agree, AMAZING and FINALLY,  SC4 is exceeding any city building game out there.  Thanks for all the creative thinkers out there NAM Team.

InvisiChem

NICE!!!! That is going to open a lot of possibilities for design.
Everyone has something to offer, most do not possess the courage to offer it.

compdude787

Wow! I'm really liking what I see here!  &apls :thumbsup:

Another thing: This was from almost two years ago, but is this planned to be in the next NAM? It would really be nice to have a piece like this for avenues, just like the one we have for roads already.
Quote from: Durfsurn on June 29, 2014, 06:51:11 PM
Well I was bored so I tried my hand at some TuLEP textures. Now I'm not sure if the NAM team even needs these anymore (e.g. If they have been done) but I did them anyway. They might not even be up to the mighty standards of the NAM team. Also someone might wanna give them a touch up before a final release. These are just .jpg's not .dat's or anything so they aren't modded at all.

http://www.dropbox.com/sh/3bto9zl45zgor2n/AACt9hwhwyUPeg45T4yt7-LLa

EDIT:
I went back a few pages and saw someone wanted something along the lines of this:

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Tarkus

Thanks, Gugu3, dyoungyn, InvisiChem, and compdude787!

Quote from: compdude787 on March 29, 2016, 11:58:11 AM
Another thing: This was from almost two years ago, but is this planned to be in the next NAM? It would really be nice to have a piece like this for avenues, just like the one we have for roads already.

The answer is yes.  memo redid the textures not long after, and the piece is implemented.  The way the transitions work, the bi-directional version is built by plopping the same transition rotated 180 degrees on top of an existing uni-directional one.

-Alex

Seaman

Quote from: Tarkus on March 29, 2016, 05:04:07 PMThe way the transitions work, the bi-directional version is built by plopping the same transition rotated 180 degrees on top of an existing uni-directional one.

pretty clever!  &apls

Would it be possible to add elevated Heavy Rail support to the FTLs in further iterations of NAM? (Maybe after Willy finished his magic on the draggable ones)

It's like always: you're coming up with brand new cool stuff, and immediately some idiot like me is asking for even cooler content. Sorry!  :P

mgb204

Quote from: Tarkus on March 29, 2016, 05:04:07 PM
The answer is yes.  memo redid the textures not long after, and the piece is implemented.  The way the transitions work, the bi-directional version is built by plopping the same transition rotated 180 degrees on top of an existing uni-directional one.

I hate to be "that guy", since you've even provided a picture. But I can't get this to work. I can't even hover over the Ave Type A transition with another piece rotated, it automatically shifts to the next tile? Obviously I'm doing it wrong, but could you elaborate, since I too would find this piece useful and was unaware of this feature until now.

dyoungyn

Love it even more.  Now that you have shown what Maxis Elevated Rail can do, then there must be a need for either an elevated Transition piece to Elevated Heave Rail or like "Seaman" mentioned below.

APSMS

Quote from: mgb204 on March 31, 2016, 11:27:46 AM
Quote from: Tarkus on March 29, 2016, 05:04:07 PM

I hate to be "that guy", since you've even provided a picture. But I can't get this to work. I can't even hover over the Ave Type A transition with another piece rotated, it automatically shifts to the next tile? Obviously I'm doing it wrong, but could you elaborate, since I too would find this piece useful and was unaware of this feature until now.
I think he's referring to the Flex Turn Lane development? I've never really needed that puzzle piece before, but I'm pretty sure that TuLEPs haven't been touched since before the development of modern flex pieces, which I would imagine are necessary for that overplop technique to work.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Tarkus

Quote from: APSMS on March 31, 2016, 01:15:03 PM
I think he's referring to the Flex Turn Lane development? I've never really needed that puzzle piece before, but I'm pretty sure that TuLEPs haven't been touched since before the development of modern flex pieces, which I would imagine are necessary for that overplop technique to work.

Correct--the example I showed, and the method described, was entirely an FTL thing.  TuLEPs have indeed not been touched really since NAM 30, and there will be no more development on the TuLEP puzzle pieces.

Quote from: Seaman on March 31, 2016, 10:24:38 AM
Would it be possible to add elevated Heavy Rail support to the FTLs in further iterations of NAM? (Maybe after Willy finished his magic on the draggable ones)

It is planned--whether or not it'll be a NAM 35 thing is uncertain, though.

-Alex

mgb204

Thanks guys for clarifying, explains why I can't do it  ::)