• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

@gooper1:

1. That request is technically NOT a slip lane: It's an OWR splitter, analogous to the RHW splitters. (See quote below) These should bear the same nomenclature as the one that was discussed... ::)
2. Doable, and likely for the Advanced TuLEPs.
3. The surface-street equivalent of the RHW-2's lateral ramp. I found your example and the setup in question still constitutes as a RHW LatRamp, but smaller than the current one. Sounds doable. In fact, if you go back deep enough into the RHW thread, you'll find something like that, except poorly drawn.

Quote from: michi_cc on October 06, 2010, 06:07:46 AM
Some ideas for OWR-4 and OWR-5 joins and splits (Pics still include unmodified OWR around):

EDIT: Didn't really like the OWR-4 to OWR-3 / OWR-1 transition. The two diagonal OWR-1 pieces are unmodified (as well as the straight OWR on both sides).

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

ivo_su

It seems that these splitters will have a use and benefit. I definitely  like the  idea of them but I have a little note to textures. It would be nice if there is asphalt in the blank space  kudeto  be divided  into two  parts  and that there is tarmac markings. Example fashion to give outputs of RHW where white lines form a triangle.

Ivo

Flatron

what I would like to see would be a puzzlepiece where aroad is splitted into two right turn lanes, just like the already existing piece, but without the through-lanes :)

Wiimeiser

Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Opkl

Will there be a TuLEP intersection piece with a street? Ex: A TLA-5 or Maxis AVE with left turn lane to a street and no stoplight.

Ramona Brie

Quote from: Opkl on June 08, 2011, 09:55:57 PM
Will there be a TuLEP intersection piece with a street? Ex: A TLA-5 or Maxis AVE with left turn lane to a street and no stoplight.

TLA-7/AVE-6 too on this. This would be essential for doing some of Phoenix's major drags (e.g. Ray Road, Chandler Blvd., TLA-7 Rural Road, TLA-7 Arizona Ave./SR 87).

Speaking of which, I want an alternate TuLEP entrance for TLA roads...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.335664,-111.928397&spn=0.001825,0.002411&t=h&z=19

This is far more common in Arizona to just have the center lane markings end, a gap, then the TuLEP turn lane markings.

Tarkus

Street intersections will be looked into at some point, though it probably won't be as part of this release cycle.

Quote from: Tracker on June 09, 2011, 12:11:10 PM
This is far more common in Arizona to just have the center lane markings end, a gap, then the TuLEP turn lane markings.

Here in Oregon, it's kind of split between that and what currently exists in TuLEPs.  Newer turn lane installations tend to be in the style of the current transition.

-Alex

jondor

Quote from: Tarkus on June 09, 2011, 12:39:27 PM
Street intersections will be looked into at some point, though it probably won't be as part of this release cycle.

Here in Oregon, it's kind of split between that and what currently exists in TuLEPs.  Newer turn lane installations tend to be in the style of the current transition.

-Alex

It also depends on how much space is available and the priority of the connecting street.  Washington County generally reserves the smooth transitions for long turn lanes heading into at least minor collectors.  Shorter, smaller street turn lanes get the abrupt transition.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Ryan B.

Quote from: Tracker on June 09, 2011, 12:11:10 PM
TLA-7/AVE-6 too on this. This would be essential for doing some of Phoenix's major drags (e.g. Ray Road, Chandler Blvd., TLA-7 Rural Road, TLA-7 Arizona Ave./SR 87).

Speaking of which, I want an alternate TuLEP entrance for TLA roads...

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=33.335664,-111.928397&spn=0.001825,0.002411&t=h&z=19

I see some of both here in Western New York.  I don't want to give a percentage one way or the other - there's definitely a good mix, though.

gooper1

I devised a new nomenclature for TuLEPs that is easier to use and is also more flexible:
EXAMPLE:
                           1/0
# of Left Turn Lanes↑/↑# of "extra" Right Turn Lanes

i.e. A 1/0 TuLEP is equal to a Type A TuLEP.
A Type A2 TuLEP would also be named 1/0, since the 2 right turn lanes are not "extra" (they are not added on to the normal lanes of the Avenue (or Road, etc.)-unlike the left-turn lane).

A list of some conversions:

• Type A TuLEP=1/0
  • Type B TuLEP=2/0
  • A TuLEP with 1 left- and 1 right-turn lane=1/1

I think you get the point. This naming system is only for the turn lanes only, and not for transitions or other TuLEP pieces.

-Gooper1
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Bunny is a friend of weasels. So should you. GO WEASELS GO!

jdenm8

A problem is that this system doesn't transfer to LHD very well and will result in broken terminology between LHD (though there are few) and RHD players.

A 1/0 piece would be a 0/1 piece in LHD and most players assume that an LHD player would be talking about the 0/1 RHD piece.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

lrb

The Avenue TULEP A1/BI intersection has a pathing error in one of the A1 sides. :'( I can't drive into the intersection on the turn lane. Please make a temporary fix so I can still use that piece. Here are some images:

The problem is circled in red on both images.
Simtropolis: lrb2_
Steam       : lrb2_

Tarkus

I just tested it and confirmed . . . but why it's happening is a total mystery right now.  The paths for the other side were generated directly from the paths on the other side, and everything appears to line up properly with the Type A TuLEPs.  Further investigation is required, as there's no obvious reason as to why this occurs.

-Alex

Edit: Further investigation completed.  The coordinates of the path itself were okay, but the entry point for the left-turn path stanza was set to north (1) rather than east (2).  Normally, a wrong entry point will result in an obvious sign--the flashing red path when DrawPaths is turned on.  However, because both the x (8) and y (7.9) coordinates of the path were close enough to the edge of the tile, the game apparently saw the north entry as valid.  Never seen this before--it's apparently a flaw with DrawPaths, and it's odd and annoying, I must say.

At any rate, a .dat with a corrected path file is attached below.  Just drop into your Network Addon Mod\Plugins folder.  Thanks for catching this rather tricky-to-spot one, lrb! :thumbsup:

Monorail Master

Thanks for the patch Tarkus, I didn't even notice the bug, but might as well get the patch for it.

But anyways, I LOVE those OWR splitters!!! They are what I've been requesting and will come in handy when making a compact RHW-4+ interchange with a parallel OWR-2! Like a RHW-4 offramp + OWR-2 into OWR-4 then an intersection, then another splitter from OWR-4 into OWR-2 and a RHW-4 onramp. I can't wait for it, keep up the good work!

-Matthew
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

jibjohn

hello, I'm currentally trying to make a UK version of the current tulep package, here is a little example of what I've been up to (a little scruffy):

(the lines are spaced for under 40mph roads)
one thing i was wondering though is if anyone could give me a file containing png's of the current textures (and maybe the ones with physical directions of flow separation for the avenue), if you can pm me, this would be a great help and speed things up a lot! thanks in advance!
John
(EDIT: also will the game automaticly flip the textures for LHD?)

jondor

Quote from: jibjohn on June 21, 2011, 02:04:11 PM

Yes, the LHD support file contains the necessary models to flip (and swap for 2-tile TuLEPs) the textures, so you only have to make one set for RHD.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

MandelSoft

Quote from: jibjohn on June 21, 2011, 02:04:11 PM
hello, I'm currentally trying to make a UK version of the current tulep package, here is a little example of what I've been up to (a little scruffy):

(the lines are spaced for under 40mph roads)
one thing i was wondering though is if anyone could give me a file containing png's of the current textures (and maybe the ones with physical directions of flow separation for the avenue), if you can pm me, this would be a great help and speed things up a lot! thanks in advance!
John
Wait, shouldn't one of these lines be completely solid?

By the way, the current textured arrows in the current version will be replaced by seperate 'floating' arrows. These arrows are not built in the texture, so you can change the arrow style seperately from the underlying texture. So you could have British arrows (the DUKA-set) while having US textures, or Euro Textures with US arrows, or any other combination. Here are the current arrow sets:

This method will also apply on the RHW CPs.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

wallasey

Liking the look of those UK Textures above...although I don't think there is a need for that single arrow going in the opposite direction...Or am I just talking about junctions in the North? It can be amazing how regions do things differently!

Good work.

EDIT to the post above...generally only the tile before the stop line would be solid although not every time

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Apologies for the overload and to be honest where my fellow UK counterpart is, the lines may well be solid. As we say in England...its horses for courses.

jibjohn

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 21, 2011, 02:26:45 PM
Wait, shouldn't one of these lines be completely solid?

Not in the UK, further away from the junction two lanes traveling in the same direction might have shorter lane dividers however that would be covered by the nwm 2+1 road. I would challenge you to find an example where we (in the UK) use a double solid line to separate traffic directions at a signalised junction (and personally I'm not sure why we don't), most of the time there will be fairly frequent arrow to remind drivers what each lane is for:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Great+Yarmouth&hl=en&ll=52.605409,1.725062&spn=0,0.006845&sll=50.832508,-0.137946&sspn=0.0008,0.003422&t=k&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.605409,1.725062&panoid=yR_YwY5ut4ohhLrp3c8m4Q&cbp=12,336.34,,0,12.2

EDIT:@wallasey i'll say i'm in rural norfolk (a hint being i used great yarmouth as a case study)

EDIT(2):sorry for another edit but might i add Maarten but UK pre-lane drop arrows (the ones on the right of your sets) look much more like the Swedish and Dutch set rather than the DUKA set

MandelSoft

Hmmm... it seems that the UK is an oddball in Europe when it comes down to road markings  &mmm  Well, maybe because it's not part of 'the Continent' could explain the differences...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE