• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Started by Masochist, November 18, 2006, 10:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Masochist

I'm a huge fan of planes and flying, so you can imagine my glee when I first learned that there were computer games that let you fly a virtual plane (much like my glee when I found out I could ditch drawing city maps because there were games that let you actually build the cities  ;D).  But problem is, I have yet, to this day, been able to play any Flight Simulator at all (due to various problems like not having a computer, or have a crappy computer... :computer:).

So I was wondering if anyone had played the latest Flight Simulator from Microsoft, and whether it was worth investing money in.  From what I've seen, it looks abosolutely gorgeous!  Examples:

(For more screenshots, click here)

Also, from what I know, the cockpit is entirely interactive, as in you can click, press, push, and pull every button, lever, and switch.

But I've never played it.  My roommate downloaded the 1 GIG demo onto his computer, and after waiting hours for it to finish, was utterly disappointed by the half-hour time limit it had.  And I don't want to spend fifty dollars and risk my computer's health by buying it.  So if anyone has played it, or knows any reason not to play it (other than the fact that it's from Microsoft), please elaborate here!
(Under Construction)

Alfred.Jones

I've never played it so I cannot really help you there, sorry. But those pictures are amazing!! When I first saw them I honestly thought they were real pictures

Sim City 4 Devotion

bat

TheTeaCat

Amazing pics.

I had an old copy of microsoft flight sim think it were the one that came with first pc. it was good for its time but that were a few years ago and haven't played it since.  A work colleague of raves about it though but then agian he always has his head in the clouds ::)
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

jeronij

Hi, those pics are really amazing !!! The textures look incrdible  :shocked2: !!!

I dont really like FS because it is a bit worrying for me, but I have played and enjoyed all the Combat Flight Simulator Series until number 3. The pics you show us make me think all the CFS series are child games...

Thanks for sharing them  :thumbsup:  Feel free to post some more.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

your_adress_here

I often play FS2004, and I've got quite a few add-on planes (not as much as my massive plugins for Simcity, though  ;)), and I haven't tried out FSX yet, execpt for the demo, which was decent, since it didn't have a very big airport or big planes, or small, very fast planes, at that matter.  ;)
Bookah!

wouanagaine

As far as I read about FSX it look great but you will need a PC not yet available to run it descently.
My advice is to try to get an old copy of the previous version

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Alek King of SC4

why must they make games that only a 2000$ plus machine can run,  :bomb:

&dance &dance

BourneID

Great game... I have to been playing FSX... accually more then I have been playing SC4 sense it came out...  I have the deluxe version... 

I hope you dont mind me posting some shots here in this thread.....

Help me...  I have image-postitis..... I cant stop...   :)

Smile Y'all

bulldog2010

Ah, yes I remember playing Flight Sim '98 even though I had NO idea about how to fly an airplane. To take off I would hold down the thrust and hope for the best, usually ending up at an eighty degree angle in the air (those poor people in my plane :D)
I remember I would always try to fly across the Pacific by just getting the plane flying twords Asia and just leave my computer alone. I never made it across  :(

BourneID: ^ Those pics are from the game?? That pic with the Air One plane is incredible. Theres no way my computer would play that.

Frankie

i actually own flight sim x ..it's sitting right here on the desk..now seeing these pics i have a little more motivation to install it :P

BourneID

well.... they are edited screenshots... ie in my normal styles... (see Broome County at ST if you havnt heard of me)   

The planes are all freeware... ie is be a broke bastard  :)   

the southwest and American Airlines are by Project Open sky...  one of the best Freeware AC makers... and check this out... the lead designer and founding member... tried his hand at the BAT the otherday. did a decent job.... a monirail platform... model was supurb... mod'ing... eh.  ;)   but I am trying to work out a trade...

that is if I can convince both sides to agree....

if he will agree to share his AC models... ie the ones in my screens and 132+ liverys     I was hoping I could get someone to work with him teaching moding....hum..., I wonder how much freetime barby has these days   ;)

Smile Y'all

mrgscottc

The last FS that I played was FS 2002.  I skipped 2004: Century... because my computer simply didn't have the horses.  That goes ditto for FS X.  I read some reviews that said Microsoft really didn't add much to the game to warrant spending $50.  If you are a big flight simulator fan in general, then you gotta get it.

BourneID

you can go with 2004($19.95)... load it up with goobs of add-ons, mostly payware... and get just as good, or with some payware.. somewhat better.... the FSX... but be limited in the breathing room to expand.... but a great choice for budget minded folks...

we havnt even begain to find out what FSX can really do... but what is for sure... you will need to spend some money to find out... even on pretty hefty PCs... this game can be a beast....  its optimized (so MS says) to run best on Vista... with DirX10...  we'll see how that turns out...

if you arnt running SC4 with under 1gig of plugins at its highest settings, then you may have trouble running FSX...  but as you can see... some of the upgrades to my $498 walmart black friday special HP AMD64 3500+ with 4gigs ram, and a BFG7800GT...  I am running the game great ....

some folks have monster PC's compaired to mind... Intell Duocore and such... that are having serious issues... 

Smile Y'all

Giligone

Wow, those screenshots are amazing! I d/led the demo to this game and it took me like 5 mins to get the plane moving on the tarmac! haha. So complciated. I don't know if its just my ineptity at this game but the controls were not good. The airplane barely responded and when it did it was so delayed from when i actually pressed a button as to be practically useless. I guess its the pyro in my but I like real interactive physics. For example. When I fly a plane at full speed into the ground it shouldn't bounce and continue to fly.

So is this just me sucking BourneID?

Alek King of SC4

it is the 4gigs of RAM that keeps it running like a champ  :D

cool pics bourne i knew you would post here.

BourneID

how about this one.....

edit.... sorry, cant show that one...  my mistake...

Smile Y'all

Shadow Assassin

I hear it looks even better when you run it with a DX10 card and Vista... is that true?  #?¿?¿?$
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

BourneID

thats what they say....   but I havnt heard anyone around the FS community's that are yet running Vista so no word on it yet....

For me,.... when and IF I upgrade to Vista and DirX it will be a system that has vista pre installed..  OEMs test to ensure the hardware they have will run windows correctly... I still have a single core system... dont I think that Vista would choke it out...

Smile Y'all

Masochist

Hmm...well, Flight Sim X was actually made to be played on Vista.  And Vista takes up a lot of power anyways (for an OS, anyways).  So yes, I would imagine it would run better on there.  My computer definately isn't Vista compatible.  Vista would be the straw that broke my computer's CPU.  So I'll be buying a new one before I even think about getting this game.  Doesn't stop me from wanting it.  Just I know I'll need to wait a while.  A long while...although those newer screenshots make me very impatient!
(Under Construction)