• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiimeiser

So the only static ramp pieces left are the fractional angle pieces? Were the volleyball pieces ever flexed?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Ramona Brie

Quote from: Wiimeiser on May 20, 2018, 02:52:22 PM
So the only static ramp pieces left are the fractional angle pieces? Were the volleyball pieces ever flexed?

Or, for that matter, the DDI Avenue piece?

Gugu3

Tarkus

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and support!  And a couple of great questions, too:

Quote from: Wiimeiser on May 20, 2018, 02:52:22 PM

That is correct--the Type C and Type F ramps are the only ones that have not received the new implementation as of yet.  My plan had been to hold off until FlexFARHW development was back going again, since it'll hook into there.  That said, there is part of me that just wants to massacre all the static ramps, even though the actual FARHW part that would hook into them might still be in static puzzle form.

The Volleyball Intersection pieces have not been FLEXed--there was some intense debate about it back when the big DRI/FLEXRamp expansion was going on during the NAM 33 cycle, as there were some questions about whether or not there was enough gain to FLEXing them.  I believe there is--namely, the ability to add elevated variants without new pieces, and a few other potential QoL improvements--but they're lower on the priority list at the moment.

The old Volleyball puzzle pieces may end up being moved to a new menu button, however.  The plan at present is isolate all the deprecated parts under the old "Ramps" button, and put it back into its old order, minus the Volleyball pieces, since they haven't become deprecated.

Quote from: Tracker on May 20, 2018, 11:08:30 PM
Or, for that matter, the DDI Avenue piece?

It's on the list, though likely won't happen for another couple versions.  FlexSPUI's revamp/expansion is the highest priority among the "specialized crossings", and the DDI and Volleyball pieces follow on the order.  The FlexSPUI (re-)development is still stalled at the moment--I plan to give it another look in the near term, to see if I can finish up at least enough to replace the old version (which is still at NAM 30 specs).

Before I call it a night here (yes, it's 4:05am here, but since I haven't yet gone to bed, I refuse to call it morning :D), here's a look at the current work in progress on the Type B1 Diagonal ramps. 

Also, if anyone missed the other thread, I've fixed an issue with the L2 RHW-8S Type A1 Inside ramp models, which were a level too low.  See the attachment below (which can go in the z___NAM folder, or anywhere that will cause it to load after the main RHW files).

-Alex

Kitsune

Has it been considered to remove the starters from the depreceated ramps? Possibly leaving just a rhw-2 stub or even no stub, and moving the depreciated ramps to the advance install? The thought is the depreciated ramps could serve as a rock solid stable in situations where you might not be able to get the required stability (although its possible some of these situations might be "fixed" with REW).
~ NAM Team Member

Wiimeiser

Out of curiosity, what's planned for NAM 38? If there's less focus on the RHW then it might actually be the best time to get the FlexSPUI fixed. I know it doesn't normally work that way, but...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Kitsune on May 21, 2018, 06:26:27 AM
Has it been considered to remove the starters from the depreceated ramps? Possibly leaving just a rhw-2 stub or even no stub, and moving the depreciated ramps to the advance install? The thought is the depreciated ramps could serve as a rock solid stable in situations where you might not be able to get the required stability (although its possible some of these situations might be "fixed" with REW).

Great question--I'm still evaluating just what all will happen in the "deprecation process", though I'm anticipating taking a different approach than what was done with the Height Transitions.  We're still taking flack for that one three years/three versions later on the STEX comments.  Likely, there will be a (non-default) option to disable the button, for those who are all-in on FLEX, and a big red "OLD" stamp over the menu icon, to alert people that those pieces are no longer the preferred way, and won't be getting any new additions. 

Given that the old static ramps are also a small subset of what's available now--there's at least 100 ramps in the mod now that are FLEX/draggable only, and that number continues to grow--de-stubbing would have a limited impact, especially as the FLEXRamps are stable enough when a starter is placed immediately in front of them.

Speaking of FLEXRamps . . . work continues on the diagonal expansion--still doing minor tweaks on the textures as needed, including later addition of chevrons.

Quote from: Wiimeiser on May 21, 2018, 11:25:57 PM
Out of curiosity, what's planned for NAM 38? If there's less focus on the RHW then it might actually be the best time to get the FlexSPUI fixed. I know it doesn't normally work that way, but...

NAM 37 development is still jumping all over the place right now, so NAM 38's hard to tell.  That said, at present, it appears the FlexSPUI revamp is more likely to be a NAM 38 launch.  Having Elevated FTLs--even in a limited form--is likely necessary for the elevated variants to be useful, and they have yet to enter development.

-Alex

Pythias900KMB

Ahoy, NAM team!  I am zealously awaiting the NAM 37 but know to hold my horses; still, I have a question.  I am planning to run a RHW 8S under a rail viaduct as part of a Maxis Highway replacement project.  What can NAM 36 do to help me?

eggman121

Quote from: Pythias900KMB on May 23, 2018, 11:02:20 PM
Ahoy, NAM team!  I am zealously awaiting the NAM 37 but know to hold my horses; still, I have a question.  I am planning to run a RHW 8S under a rail viaduct as part of a Maxis Highway replacement project.  What can NAM 36 do to help me?

Hello. The ERRW will be your friend here...

They come in L1 (7.5 meters) and L2 (15.5 meters)

Here is the video I made to help users activate the ERRW on my Youtube Channel

If you did not already know you have to click a Rail tile on the underneath network for trains to pass over the viaduct. This is an inherent mechanic of the game.

The L1 and L2 Onslopes act as starters. I will be beefing up the code for NAM 37 in terms of the ERRW space but I would not expect much extra functionality this time around.

We (The NAM Team) are working on a swath of new content and Patience is probably the best position to view the NAM status. We are working on new content but as per our policy there is no timeline for release.

-eggman121

Pythias900KMB

Quote from: eggman121 on May 24, 2018, 12:24:46 AM

If you did not already know you have to click a Rail tile on the underneath network for trains to pass over the viaduct. This is an inherent mechanic of the game.

The L1 and L2 Onslopes act as starters. I will be beefing up the code for NAM 37 in terms of the ERRW space but I would not expect much extra functionality this time around.

We (The NAM Team) are working on a swath of new content and Patience is probably the best position to view the NAM status. We are working on new content but as per our policy there is no timeline for release.

-eggman121

(Growls and headbutts the desk angry at himself) . . . Eggman, I am planning for the RHW to run diagonally below the railway.

matias93

What about making a groove to cross the line orthogonally?

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

noahclem

Quote from: eggman121 on May 24, 2018, 12:24:46 AM

-eggman121

Pretty awesome attention to detail there with the overpasses the width of the 8S rather than 2 full tiles and a really nice-looking viaduct stone texture  &apls

Great work, Alex  &apls

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on May 21, 2018, 04:06:18 AM
My plan had been to hold off until FlexFARHW development was back going again, since it'll hook into there.  ...

-Alex

Oh! I can hardly wait!!!!!!

Pythias900KMB

This is the crossing I want to convert to sunken RHW

matias93

Certainly doable, but consider that sunking a network on a trench makes it to occupy two extra tiles to acommodate the slopes. You will need to demolish many lots there...

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Tarkus

It's alive!  It's alive! (And 100% FLEX/draggable.)

-Alex

AsimPika3172

Way to go, Alex!!!!  &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls
Continue make more diagonal version of RHW!!!!  :thumbsup:
I loves Sim City forever!

Gugu3

mattb325

Seaman

I am really sorry for putting a puzzle piece issue between this FLEXible wonders.

Has anybody already come up with a way to solve this?

I mean, back in the old days, I would have used relics such as "Fillers", but the 6C and 8C diagonals never got the treat of receiving some. The obvious workaround here would be to stretch the diagonal part to have a stable stub. But I wonder wether there is way to get a (possibly instable and "don't touch it") solution.