• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RUL 0x10000002 - Tutorial to making texture overrides

Started by jplumbley, September 26, 2007, 07:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tropod

Subway puzzle pieces (probably shouldn't have said it was pointless); it's been so long, off-hand I don't recall. I do recall however using subway function in the Interchange RUL to create roads over bridges, with some limited success. So it is a recognised network function in that RUL (again, if I recall). The problem with using the subway function, is that anything with the subway function needs to have Exemplars/Models, because if it is allowed to go back to its network specific (subway) RUL (for example using Optional function with Subway function) it will show the Road network. And this is because the subway network is hardcoded & works from the road ruls when drawing the subway network.
Starter pieces for power poles; if the Interchange RUL recognises the powerpole (or whatever it is) function, then I can not see why not. Same applies to waterpipes. The thing to be aware of here, is that powerpoles/powerlines are hardcoded to a big degree. I had tried using powerpole function & a few other variations with no success. Does not mean I did not miss something though.

Jonathan

Sorry for another question, Is it then possible to create side by side (RHW style) RULs
Thanks for your answers already though.

EDIT: what are these IIDs with 4 or 3 numbers after the 0x? (eg 0xc00)

Tropod

Any two tiles adjoining each other should be possible to code for in the Overrides RULs. There's a couple of rules relating to bridges (like the ends for example) if I recall. Some restrictions may exist though, like some stuff being handled by the exe (though I doubt it) or the INI Networks file conflicting with some rules (though I would imagine this very rare).
As for the IIDs with 3 or 4 numbers after 0x, could you be a little more specific? I don't see any active code like that in the Overrides RUL, though there is code like that in other RULs; in those cases, best that I can tell/remember is that Maxis got a little lazy & used short-hand (in most cases, just add 0000 in between 0x & other 4 digits of hex). Kind of like the Interchange RUL; where any referecning of the 4 digit hex in the ordering section is done with full 8 digit hex.

Jonathan

I meant to say RHW type RULs for subway, are they possible?
If we know the IIDs of the tiles, it should be possible to create overrides? (We can get the IIDs from the Road Rules RUL?)
Thanks I meant in RULs in general.

Tropod

Being how the subways are hardcoded to a big degree, I doubt it. That's not to say it's not possible though (it's not one of those things I have looked at). I can't imagine though trying to use any road code to code for subways in the Overrides RUL, since it would affect both (& more likely only affect road). Still though, if one is able to find out which subway textures/exemplars require referencing, then may be possible. But personally not sure I see the point, since subways are all underground.

SmartRoss

Where do you input the RUL code? I can't find the input box  :'(.
I hope that my post helped you.

I am always willing to help when I can, just send me a Private Message.

Jonathan

Quote from: SmartRoss on December 09, 2007, 06:36:44 AM
Where do you input the RUL code? I can't find the input box  :'(.

The RUL code is entered into the RUL file 0x10000002 in the NAM controller dat file. If you are looking for an input box that is in game there is no such thing, as the plugins are not "live". They are loaded when the game is started so anychanges made to plugins while the game is being played will not have effect until the game is restarted.

Diggis

Quote from: Tropod on October 05, 2007, 05:02:57 PM
Being how the subways are hardcoded to a big degree, I doubt it. That's not to say it's not possible though (it's not one of those things I have looked at). I can't imagine though trying to use any road code to code for subways in the Overrides RUL, since it would affect both (& more likely only affect road). Still though, if one is able to find out which subway textures/exemplars require referencing, then may be possible. But personally not sure I see the point, since subways are all underground.

The one thing that would be cool would be able to change the colour of the lines to help map them.  :P

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Tropod

Quote from: Diggis on December 10, 2007, 01:09:29 AM
The one thing that would be cool would be able to change the colour of the lines to help map them.  :P

How do you mean exactly? In the city itself, region view, undergroundview, dataview map, etc.

Diggis

In the city.  Imagine the SAM for subway where each different variation had a different colour so you could see where your lines ran.  Much like the London Underground.

Tropod

oh right. Well that's probably a no go. None of the networks really have a way to distinguish different colours for same network either in the city overlay itself, dataview map or region view. To my knowledge.
Although, and this is a (somewhat) long shot........it may be possible to manipulate the INI file making use of one of the (texture/shadow) remapping sections. It may not give you exactly what you're after, but worth having a look maybe.

RebaLynnTS

Diggis is talking about having different colored models for the subway lines them selves. Right now they are all the same color. Plop a starter piece, and the track tunnel is blue, another and it is green, so on.
Becca

Tarkus

It would be nice to be able to do that, but the Subway network has been notoriously elusive.  There's no sections defined for it in any of the RULs (or the INI), so I'm not sure if it's possible to produce any sort of override for it, or even a puzzle piece.  We've never nailed down the NSGID for it either.  I believe GoaSkin tried to make a Subway puzzle piece at one point, but it caused a CTD.

I'm not going to say "never", though.  A lot of things deemed impossible have been added in, and we're able to essentially make "new" networks now (though with many of the same limitations as existing networks), but the Subway's been a tough nut to crack.  I'd love to be able to override it though--it would open up a lot of possibilities. :)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Diggis

I was just hypothesising.  I know subway has been elusive so I'm not complaining.

memo

Alex, actually, there is a RUL file for the subway network. I don't remember its IID at the moment, but it contains the very same Rules as the Road RUL file. However, I think you can't do anything with it, since it, I assume, only defines the possible intersections of the Subway network, but not any textures or paths. Though, I didn't really look into it much. There's also a RUL file for water pipes, btw.

Diggis

Does that mean there is possibly one for the power lines too?

memo

No, to my knowledge, there isn't. For power poles, there's only one small section in the Network INI file which links to the different power pole models, but you won't need to change anything of that. Power lines are entirely hard-coded and, apart from the models, cannot be modified, unfortunately, as far as I know.

RebaLynnTS

I just had a thought. Would it be possible to make a draggable network for pedestrians with power lines on the lots? Like a side walk next to power lines.
Becca

Diggis

Draggable pedestrian networks have posed some issues as there isn't a default Pedestrian only network.  Additionally while you may be able to do it visually you wouldn't be able to get it to transmit power.